Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwayne0545 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Teaxas Credit card lawsuit
    I am being sued for a credit card debt of $4500 in Houston Texas. I am 100% disabled, I receive Social Security and Veterans disability, and a $145 pension. I do good to make ends meet month to month with the help from my disabled daughter. What can they get from me and can they take my checking account money?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 5, 2008, 10:56 AM
    If you inform the bank that all funds deposited in your checking account are exempt (double check the pension), then they can't get anything.
    Brenok Posts: 47, Reputation: 6

Feb 5, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Also, if you receive any garnishment order as a result of a judgment, you can file with the court and provide proof of SSI deposits and the funds will be ruled exempt. You might also want to send a letter to your bank notifying them that your funds are SSI deposits. Don't deposit any other funds in the account where your SSI is deposited. You might want to check the threads in the "bankruptcy & debt" forum here for information relating to notifying your bank and other good advice on what to do. I wish you the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawsuit over credit card in PA [ 5 Answers ]

I am being sued by a monster law firm. I was served papers on 1/22 and am trying desperately to figure out what to do. Unfortunately, I am disabled right now and I have my hearing for Social security next month, which is why I was unable to pay for my cards in the first place (I haven't worked...

Defending a Credit Card Lawsuit [ 37 Answers ]

On 11/15 I got served with papers that the issuing bank has filed a law suit against me court date 2/26 in front of a Arbitration Panel, the debt is from 2003 so SOL is roled out. This debt is from a business I tried to start but went nowhere, the balance was $9720.00 when charged off on 8/04 they...

Do I have a Lawsuit against credit card company [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I had a credit card with chase for a long time,over 15 years I believe. My husband is havig an affair with another women and took out credit card in his name using her address and phone number.Chase can see there are 3 credit cards,One in my name and two has her name and address. ...

Credit Card lawsuit in Texas [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Texas, are there any laws protecting me from credit card lawsuits? What can't they take I

Lawsuit concerning credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I am being sued in local court by a lawyer representing a credit card company for a outstanding balance owed, with the last activity being 2 months short of 4 years. The amount I am being sued for has ballooned to over $3000.00 more than the original debt without including lawyer's fees in the...

View more questions Search