Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 5, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Herbal remedies
    I am trying to incorporate herbs and supplements into my diet, for many the many health benefits I've been hearing about.

Has anyone heard of, or tried a product called eyebright... or any other good herbal products for eye health? Also, are there any good herbal remedies for anxiety and/or panic attacks?

I've also heard about a kidney/liver detox that seems to be popular. Has anyone done this and if so, how does it work, what are the side effects, and how did it help?

Thanks!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Eyebright herb was used as a folk remedy for a long time in Europe for treating the eyes. It is believed that the tannins in the plant reduce inflammation. It was originally prepared as a solution to put on the eyes but it is also taken orally . Most of the evidence supporting it's use is ancedotal.

Basic veggies like carrots spinach contain carotinoids and Lutein which are good nutrients for your eyes .
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 07:26 PM
    For general good eye health, apricots, asparagus, cantelope, fish, leafy green veggies, like spinach, collards, turnips, even seaweed. The beta carotene in veggies and some fuits convert vitamin A in the body and helps improve vision.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 11:16 PM
    Eat lots of fruits and vegetables they contain things like beta carotene, lycopene, lutein and other nutrients good for the eyes. Eyebright and bilberry are good for the eyes.
    B12 might help with panick attacks. You have to be careful though if you are already taking meds for anxiety or depression.
    A formula with Milk thistle is good for digestion detox.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Milk thistle is good for liver detox about 200 mg. per day, but I think the best is 100% aloe vera juice, (the consistency will be very thick and clear). The eyebright has two areas that I feel should be considered before using, there's been a concern about the potential for contamination, and the FDA has not evaluated eyebright for safety (GRAS) status.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 9, 2008, 01:04 PM
    Thanks! I've been doing some reading, and actually caught Oprah lastweek where Dr. Oz talked about some of the things I was asking. I also learned that carrots, although good for you, got their reputation for good eye health in WW11. Apparently the Brits discovered radar, and the Germans wanted to know how they were spotting their bombers. Someone leaked the information that it was because the Brits were eating carrots for better eyesight. I had to giggle over that one! :D
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Yes that is true. Carrots don't really improve your sight but they are good for your vision, especially night vision. The vitamin A- beta carotene is what is good for your eyes.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Carrots are a good source of Vitamin A (which does aid your night vision), beta carotene may help reduce the risk of cataract and macular degeneration. But some of the best vitamins for your eyes are Vitamin D, B (thiamine), a deficiency can lead to impaired visison. B2, a deficiency can affect muscous membranes and moist tissue of your eyes, B3, maintains nerve tissues, increases strength of the tissues in new cases of glaucoma, and floic acid, helps improve visual problems.also, Vitamin E, C, and Zinc.
    Lutein (found in corn, egg yolk, yellow-green veggies) plays a part in slowing age related degeneration of eye tissue.
    And Zeaxanthin found in squash, leeks, peas, celery, brussel spouts, chili peppers, lowers risks of cataracts, also.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Just to mention before I would try to many products at one time I think I would try one at a time for a period of weeks before I added another one. Also iot would be good if you could find a doctor that was onboard with your plan.
    I saw a guy on Oprah a few weeks back that was blue from taking a supplement the doc said he was this color from the inside out and it would never change.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 9, 2008, 02:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Just to mention before I would try to many products at one time I think I would try one at a time for a period of weeks before I added another one. Also iot would be good if you could find a doctor that was onboard wih your plan.
    I saw a guy on Oprah a few weeks back that was blue from taking a supplement the doc said he was this color from the inside out and it would never change.
    Oh, I saw a little bit of that show too! That was scary! I'm not going to load up on all of them at once for sure, and I am going to ask my doctor at my next visit what to incorporate first, and how long I should wait until adding something else. The problem is, around here it takes 3 months minimum to get in to see the Dr. and then you are allowed basically 1 "issue" per visit, because they are so overloaded with patients! Crazy eh?!
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 02:31 PM
    The supplement that turns you blue is collidal silver. I don't think anybody should take that unless they need major detox.
    The milk thistle I think should only be taken short term to cleanse your digestive system.
    Vitamin A and B can be taken regularly as long as you don't exceed the RDA.
    Too much beta carotene can turn you orange temporarily.

Eyebright and bilberry I only take when my eyes are really bothering me.
    Not sure what too much or too often may be with them.
    The rest are found in food but our food supply is 80% deficient of nutrients so
    I really believe in taking supplements.
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 02:33 PM
    We are so spoiled in the USA if my kids get ill their doc see's them that day. She has even come in on Sundays. I should send her flowers, she has taken care of my children almost 15 years.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Send her some GOOD dark chocolate --good for the antioxidents :D
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Nohelp... I have also read that certain vitamins should not be taken if you smoke, drink etc. I think a lot of research should go into this before you start taking anything.
    I have used herbs and vitamins for certain things but only after a lot of research. Also being raised in the country there were tried and true methods that was used, which we just grew up with.
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Yes it is best to research and see what is best for you.
    I never heard of the not taking certain vitamins if you smoke and drink but
    They must mean like vitamin E, k and other blood thinning ones because when you smoke and drink sores do not heal properly and if your thinning out your blood more by doing the E, K and blood thinners then it can be worse. But I see a lot of smokers and drinkers that take coumadin but they don't seem to care about their health.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 9, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Thanks for everyone's advice. It's interesting to get information and then feedback. My family on my mom's side all have very large eyes, which I inherited, and they have had problems with cataracts and other problems. I know how everyone hypes up our health care system in Canada, and it is good in most respects, but there are more patients than Dr.'s. When you live in a smaller city like I do, it is hard to get into the best Dr.'s unless you are on the ball as soon as a new one moves in. I also have friends that can get their kids, or themselves in for an appt on a day or two notice. Problem is, somebody has to die before they take a new patient basically :( Sad state of affairs, but that's how it works.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 9, 2008, 02:50 PM
    I've also gotten to be friends with my pharmacist! I can call her anytime and she will let me know if any of the supplements I want to take will react with the meds I'm on. I have high blood pressure, so I try to be very careful with that!
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 03:00 PM
    It would be nice if you could post things on the draw backs of your health care system
    On the current events board or somewhere
    Because many people in the USA think that we need the socialized health
    And they think it is the greatest idea since sliced bread.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 9, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    It would be nice if you could post things on the draw backs of your health care system
    on the current events board or somewhere
    because many people in the USA think that we need the socialized health
    and they think it is the greatest idea since sliced bread.
    I will do that! I'm no expert, but I can certainly give my opinions from my experiences for sure. Our health care system needs a little fixing too!
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Yeah I was thinking you could use some newspaper articles and statistics

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Herbal Inn Fairness Cream [ 44 Answers ]

Has anyone used this product. I ordered and have been using for 3 days. There cream isn't a cream it is actually a lotion. I know creams tend to work better than lotions. I don't know why they have say its cream. But has anyone used it? And if so what are your results?

Herbal inn fairness cream [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm a new user. I was just wondering if any of you have had an experience with Herbal Inn's Fairness Cream? I've heard mixed reviews about it and wanted to know whether it's just a scam or if it's safe to use. I emailed them a couple of days ago and they still haven't replied, so now...

The usage for these herbal teas [ 1 Answers ]

Has any one heard of figura 1 tea? What does it do, What r the benefit from fennel and peppermint tea?

View more questions Search