Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pasiria Posts: 161, Reputation: 29

Feb 5, 2008, 01:19 AM
    Think of this: Somebody kills your mom, then your sister or brother, then your grandma. Do you think it is right or wrong? Do you think that someone has the right to take those loved ones away from you? That make it wrong. Simple as that! Do you think it is right if someone murders you?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 03:54 AM
    If someone murders me, that is what happens. It does not have to be someone's fault, a wrongness. Besides, we don't end, we can't. We only change form. The person who murdered me is no different from me. They are a part of me, making choices.
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Feb 5, 2008, 04:34 AM
    Murder is ending someone's life without their permission (otherwise it is assisted suicide I guess).
    If they do not want to die, then ending all of their life, which cannot be reversed, meaning they may never have any more existence (depends on whether afterlife exists) and that all of their oppertunities, freedoms, joys, life, etc, is cut short.
    Do you have the right to take that from someone?
    Do you have the right to cut short their chances at love, work, joy, cut short their search for good things and their chances at good things?
    Id say that murder is wrong, it should be pretty obvious.
    Lets say tomorrow was going to be the best day of your life, and you were going to go on a date with the person you love, and I killed you tonight.
    Would you see that as being a right thing to do?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Hello in:

Some people need God to tell them the difference between right and wrong. Some people don't. I belong to the second group.

Personally, I'm staying away from the first group. They're scary.

excon
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 06:09 AM
    I think this question is set up for the OP to get a certain particular response. When that response is received then he/she will show the true topic of this thread.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedhelpfast
    well im not sure i know what you mean, but ill try and respond with this,
    i am a child of God blood bought through His blood that was shed on the cross for me. so i am redeemed and forgiven, and i will thank with my life and into eternity in heaven with Him

did that answer your question?

No, because while you are Christian - and apparently reborn - everyone else may not be.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 06:42 AM
    why is it wrong can anyone tell me?

in all sincerity is murder wrong and why is it wrong

This is a legal board and so I will answer in a legal manner - yes, because the law says it is.

Now, if you are talking morally or spiritually - wrong board.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 5, 2008, 06:43 AM
    I think excon's answer is the best one so far.

As I see it man is a social animal. This means he has to co-exist with others of his species. To be able to allows people to co-exist with each other, there has to be rules that govern how people interact. Otherwise we have tyranny and rule by might. Civilized man saw long ago that rule by might doesn't work well for any length of time.

In my opinion one of the reasons for the existence of religion is to instill in people that sense of right and morality that allows for people to co-exist. Whether those rules were handed to man by some divine authority (the 10 Commandments) or devised by philosophers who saw the good in those rules is a moot point and I'm not going to argue it either way.

The point is that civilized man has realized the need of such rules to allow for the growth of civilization. And such rules have stood the test of time and have been codified into the laws of political states.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 5, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    This is a legal board and so I will answer in a legal manner - yes, because the law says it is.

Now, if you are talking morally or spiritually - wrong board.
    Judy has an excellent point here. So I've moved this thread to the Philosophy forum.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 06:48 AM
    Murder is right for the murder because they always justify it. Whether it is joe blow down the street, the government etc...
    By the same token the family,friends or people that are left are the ones that say it is wrong because something has beeen taken from them. The dead can not tell us how they feel about it.
    Ineedhelpfast... Do you think murder would be wrong if I wore a sign everyday that says "Do not murder me, I do not want to die"

I read a book that dealt with this question to some degree. It was called Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsh. Are you by chance reading it or one in the series?
    He was a little too deep for me so I did not read the whole series.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 06:54 AM
    Murder -1: to kill unlawfully and with premeditated malice

Yes, it is wrong and illegal. Why is it wrong? Because a life is no ones right to take away.

Just my opinion :)
    kandyfruitcake Posts: 67, Reputation: 18

Feb 5, 2008, 07:35 AM
    whose to say whats right and whats wrong

Your conscience should be telling you it's wrong, nothing to do with law of the land, or the Bible. If you feel any other way and you're on here looking for someone to make any attempt to justify it to you, to give yourself an excuse to murder or have already done so and are freaking out, then you either need to seek help, or hand yourself in. If you do not know the difference between right and wrong when it comes to murder and don't feel the same emotions and natural abhorrence that the majority of humanity do, then the chances are high that you are probably a psychopath. Not all psychopaths are killers, but it is a mental condition that requires attention for the sake of the individual, and people that they come into contact with.

We all get angry, we all harbour thoughts of revenge, we all, at some time in our lives, wish pain and hardship on others who have hurt us. Love turns to hate. Despair, euthanasia - there's a whole bunch of reasons that are individual to each of us on why we'd wish another human being gone. However, thinking and wishing are one thing - actually doing anything having them 'gone' is another thing entirely.

Murder creates ripples in a pond - that one stone thrown can create an impact on history. You kill someone - you're effectively emotionally killing their loved ones who have to live with their loss for the rest of their days, and guilt for not being able to prevent their death, or fearing that their loved ones felt abandoned when they needed them most. You do the same to your own family - they suffer for your crime. If they were young - then you've maybe caused a young husband or wife to struggle on alone, kids without a parent. If they're older - you've caused a parent to lose their child, possibly. Those people could have gone on to make a mark on history - they could have borne a child who would have made an impact. The implications are far reaching when a human being commits murder - the animal kingdom sanctions murder as a means of survival but we don't have that excuse.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Simone asks: "Does lawfulness really change the nature of death?" From another angle, it changes the nature of life, say when an abused spouse kills her/his partner. Or a mother kills her unborn fetus. I'm not certain death has a nature; in my view, death is 'the end', w/o getting into religious connotations.
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Feb 5, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Lol don't worry excon I'm just throwing a topic out there to get some perspective
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 09:25 PM
    why is it wrong can anyone tell me?

in all sincerity is murder wrong and why is it wrong
    Another perspective that I admire greatly: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." Do you comprehend the meaning of the unalienable right to life?

See more: Right to life - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Feb 5, 2008, 09:29 PM
    Yeah man, thanks for the perspective:)
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Feb 18, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kandyfruitcake
    Your conscience should be telling you it's wrong, nothing to do with law of the land, or the Bible. If you feel any other way and you're on here looking for someone to make any attempt to justify it to you, to give yourself an excuse to murder or have already done so and are freaking out, then you either need to seek help, or hand yourself in. If you do not know the difference between right and wrong when it comes to murder and don't feel the same emotions and natural abhorrence that the majority of humanity do, then the chances are high that you are probably a psychopath. Not all psychopaths are killers, but it is a mental condition that requires attention for the sake of the individual, and people that they come into contact with.

We all get angry, we all harbour thoughts of revenge, we all, at some time in our lives, wish pain and hardship on others who have hurt us. Love turns to hate. Despair, euthanasia - there's a whole bunch of reasons that are individual to each of us on why we'd wish another human being gone. However, thinking and wishing are one thing - actually doing anything having them 'gone' is another thing entirely.

Murder creates ripples in a pond - that one stone thrown can create an impact on history. You kill someone - you're effectively emotionally killing their loved ones who have to live with their loss for the rest of their days, and guilt for not being able to prevent their death, or fearing that their loved ones felt abandoned when they needed them most. You do the same to your own family - they suffer for your crime. If they were young - then you've maybe caused a young husband or wife to struggle on alone, kids without a parent. If they're older - you've caused a parent to lose their child, possibly. Those people could have gone on to make a mark on history - they could have borne a a child who would have made an impact. The implications are far reaching when a human being commits murder - the animal kingdom sanctions murder as a means of survival but we don't have that excuse.

Well put. I can't even believe this question is up for debate. Unless you are a psychopath, your "right vs. wrong" radar should be going off like crazy on the wrong side. Can't you just feel it in your gut that this is wrong? It is never right to take something that is not yours. Didn't we learn that in kindergarten?

Let me put it this way. Do you think it should be okay for me to kill you? Or someone that you loved? Of course not. We don't have the right to inflict harm on someone else unless it is in self defense.

I find the whole murder question a little disturbing.:confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 18, 2008, 07:25 PM
    Well this is under the Philosophy topic, so with this we are not looking at what is legal, what is christian, or religious but what does it mean to a person in their way of thinking.

In Philosophy the view of life is that first often there is no god, so there is no absolute moral right and wrong, in Philosophy we can look at it as it would relate to others or merely to relate to just ourself.

If we are not looking at it for any legal or moral reason, then what is there but pure desire to satisfy our personal needs.

That is why of course we do have laws based in the moral fiber of society
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Feb 19, 2008, 09:37 AM
    I have murdered my boyfriend a million times over in my dreams do not know if I could do it for real
    mens_rea_oportet_actus_re Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 11:27 AM
    You asked whose to say what is right or wrong, relative to murder?
    You decide.

Governments, religion, and society, in general, determines what is right for itself. They justify the most heinous crimes against humanity when their purpose is served. Look at every World War, Korean War, Viet Nam, the Crusades, the Salem Witch trials and cries for a "Holy War" for proof. Look at all the politicians and religious leaders that violate the very laws they would have you believe they are in support of.

You decide for yourself if the taking of another's life is right or wrong. Then weigh the consequences of your actions. Currently in our society it can potentially earn you life in prison or the death penalty.

However I do not recommend living your life out of fear of reprisal. Live your life to the fullest you are capable. And the rest of the world be damned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Murder or not? [ 5 Answers ]

If someone sees another person collapse but doesn't ever help them or call an ambulance, and the other person later dies, but would have lived if help had been offered, is that considered murder? If so, what degree of murder is it?

Was It Murder? [ 3 Answers ]

Here's a hypothetical from a story I'm working on. A guy gets shot by someone who maliciously intends to murder him (unfortunate). The shot does not kill the victim. He runs off and stumbles into a highway where he is almost hit by a truck (more unfortunate). The near miss scares the guy. He...

Murder mystery [ 4 Answers ]

I am to trying to identify a murder mystery film, possibly from the 1970's. The setting is a large house (mansion?) near water, possibly an island. A group of people are picked off one at a time, (agatha christie style). When the murders take place, all that is shown of the killer is the hands in...

About murder game [ 1 Answers ]

I watched a movie some years back about a kid who buys a new video game console, he plays the game and in the game he has to murder people. Then people start turning up murdered in the same fashion as he killed them in the game. At the end of the movie it turns out that nobody was killed and the...

View more questions Search