Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwilliams15 Posts: 172, Reputation: 24

Feb 4, 2008, 09:45 PM
    Car damage, what do I do?
    I'm so frustrated right now.

I go to college about 3 hours away from home so obviously I have my car up here. I live in an apartment building with a parking lot out front. Today I went to my car to put stuff in the passengers side of the car and it was obvious that someone tried to park beside me, pulled in too close, and scraped their way into the spot. My car has several nicks, cuts, and scratches on the door now. I looked at the car parked beside me, but there was no damage to it where there should have been if it were the one that hit me.
    A few months ago I was parked in the lot and someone with a toe hitch (I'm assuming) backed into my car and my license plate is dented in pretty good.

My question is, what do I do about this? Call the police? What are they going to do besides file a report? They aren't physically going to go around and look for a vehicle that hit mine are they? What's the use in filing a report if they aren't going to do anything?

I know my car isn't very nice. It's a 1997 pontiac grand am, its no bmw. I'm just so mad because I feel like people thing "oh that car is crappy, it won't matter if i hit it, they'll never notice" and NO one leaves their insurance info. UGH!

What do I do? I'm in college, no job, I live off my financial aid refund money until the summer when I have time to get a job. I only have liability insurance because my mom only makes $14,000 a year and needless to say she can't afford any better than that. I feel like people look at my car and it reflects my driving. You've all seen the crappy dinged up car and thought that the person driving it isn't a very good driver. I don't go around wrecking my car in things but it sure looks like I do.

Help.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Welcome to the real world of inconsiderate people. Some drivers just don't care what car they hit or ding or dang up regardless if it is new or old. Some people get their kicks out of keying car doors. The only suggestion I can make to you is to try and park away from everyone else. Short of that try to get a spot at the end of the row so you only have one side of the car exposed.

Even if you had full coverage on the car it would not pay for this as you would have a high deductible to pay. You may look into comprehensive insurance. This is for fire, theft, vandalism, trees falling on your car. Stuff like that. This is not that expensive and would cover your car's glass entirely. You don't want someone to smash in your windshield and you don't have the money to fix or replace it. Ditto if they do extensive vandalism. You can get a $50 deductible on this and it would only cost you about $100 or less a year. It does not cover auto accidents, though, but if a tree fell on your car from a storm, what would you do?
    mwilliams15 Posts: 172, Reputation: 24

Feb 5, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Thanks twinkiedooter! Never heard of that insurance before. I'll talk to my mom about it.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Most people don't realize that they don't need full coverage but just comprehensive on older vehicles. Any car over 10 years old costs a fortune for full coverage.
    larrydiesbach Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 11, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Come do some cheers for me ;) we'll get your dings fixed lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Car damage after redeeming a repo [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My car was repo'd Thursday and I went to redeem it today. When I brought the car to the car wash I looked at my front bumper and found that it was totally damaged and cracked. It is enough damage that I need a whole new front bumper. I called the place where it was but they already...

How to know if a car has water damage [ 4 Answers ]

I recently drove my Toyota Camry through a very large puddle at a very low speed. The car still runs fine with no strange noises. I am worried that it may have acquired some water in the engine. Should I get this checked out to prevent any future problems?

Former friend suing me over cosmetic damage to her car. [ 9 Answers ]

A former friend is suing me because this past summer she bought a microwave at a garage sale, since she had back surgery the fall before she couldn't lift and carry it because it was too heavy for her, so she asked me to do it. I carried the somewhat heavy and cumbersome microwave down a steep...

Damage caused on car dlrship lot [ 9 Answers ]

I had an incident a while back on a car lot. Basically, damage was caused to a vehicle (for sale) on a car lot by my vehicle. The cause was an improperly maintained/marked off area of black ice. When the damage occurred, the staff said themselves that this was the third time this happened in the...

Damage on my car. [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a cottage that has a parking space and garage in the back of the lot. I have two cars and I usually park one in my parking space and one in the street. About one month ago, the weather was really windy. My neighbor's garage door lock somehow came undone and the garage doors were...

View more questions Search