Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    viscali Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Carrier Furnace cycling on and off
    I have a Carrier 58DX-100-DC furnace that I have a problem with, The inducer motor will come on and run then the pilot will light and then the burner comes on and a couple minutes or less the blower comes on it will stay like this for about 2 or 3 minutes then the inducer motor stops and the gas shuts off and it goes through the above cycle again, I've changed the motor blower control board and the pressure switch and made sure all the hoses are clear still no go, any help would be appreciated!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 09:16 PM
    I will take a wild guess on this one. Did you clean or replace the flame sensor if you have one? I have seen them do strange things before. Also a glow bar/Hot surface ignition device can also make this happen but it is rare.

Feb 5, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    I will take a wild guess on this one. Did you clean or replace the flame sensor if you have one? I have seen them do strange things before. Also a glow bar/Hot surface ignition device can also make this happen but it is rare.
    No flame sensor, No glow bar either, has spark igniter! This system has an inducer control board that has a relay and 4 diodes on it is it possible that is the culprit?

Feb 5, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Check to see if this has a 2 or 3 wire pilot assembly because those have been known to cause trouble. Wires exit the bottom.

Feb 5, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Check to see if this has a 2 or 3 wire pilot assembly because those have been known to cause trouble. Wires exit the bottom.
    It has a 3 wire!

Feb 5, 2008, 08:52 AM
    From what I have read in your previous posts you have already spent some$$.

These pilots assemblies do go bad. They have a bimetal that over time looses its ability to operate the switch assembly in turn causing erratic operation.

Make sure that the pilot is setup for natural gas or LP depending upon what you have and if reusing your old orifice make sure the little hole that the pilot gas passes through is clean BUT do not drill it out use a very thin wire to clean.

This will also make sure the pilot lite reaches its maximum height to activate the switch in the pilot assembly.

Feb 5, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Will do, I'm at work right now but will check when I get home Thanks a lot for your help I really do appreciate it. I'll let you know what I find.

Feb 7, 2008, 07:15 AM
    From what I have read in your previous posts you have already spent some$$.

These pilots assemblies do go bad. They have a bimetal that over time looses its ability to operate the switch assembly in turn causing erratic operation.

Make sure that the pilot is setup for natural gas or LP depending upon what you have and if reusing your old orifice make sure the little hole that the pilot gas passes thru is clean BUT do not drill it out use a very thin wire to clean.

This will also make sure the pilot lite reaches its maximum height to activate the switch in the pilot assembly.

That did the trick I replaced it and found an erratic blower safety switch which I had jumped out when I first started troubleshooting it so it was 2 problems, The new 3 wire pilot assembly was not working properly when I first put it in, had to make an adjustment with the bimetal switch, was working fine for pilot but not calling for gas but finally got it working We're warm again Thanks a lot for your info I really appreciate it!

Oh by the way I was able to take back the blower motor board and get my money back!

Feb 7, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Good deal glad you got it fixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unusual Furnace Cycling [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Goodman GMCE075-3 forced air furnce. This morning I came home from vacation and the house was 59 degrees. The circuit board indicated an open limit switch, however, upon testing the switch it was not open. There are three additional aux limit switches wired in series around the burner...

Furnace cycling [ 2 Answers ]

My newer energy efficient furnace cycles every 10 minutes about, I have a new one story home that is very well insulated.

Furnace cycling [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Trane gas furnace w/no standing pilot it's electronic. Anyway when the t-stat calls for heat it will fire up and the shut of within 5 secs. It will do this approx. 4 times before it will eventually lock itself out and the blower will continue to run not ever reaching setpoint. I know...

Furnace off and on cycling [ 1 Answers ]

We had an air bubble in the vacuum system, removed the clamp, blew in the tube, problem solved-thanks for everyone who looked!

Furnace cycling while heating [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Tempstar hvac (heatpump) with a gaspack. It is about 9 years old. I turned the heat on for 1st time this year to discover the problem. I took the cover off to see this happening: I turn the thermostat up and the pilot is one. After a minute of so, the gas turns on and the furnace lights....

View more questions Search