Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    razor1109 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Schaff bros piano
    I found an old piano in poor condition is it worth anything?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 06:13 PM
    It like many of the old pianos, sometimes you can find them free if you haul them off ( since they are big and heavy)

I have seen several of that brand on craigs list in "good" condition for 200 to 400 dollars.

So depending on if keys don't work, is the board that holds the wires cracked and so on. 25 to 50 dollars in non working condition would be a guess, without knowing each model and so on.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 12:08 AM
    What do you mean by "poor" condition, please? I am a piano tuner/technician.

Feb 5, 2008, 04:53 AM
    Poor condition , I really mean depleated, in an empty loft covered in pigeon poop . I was just curious because it was just sitting there.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Do all of the notes play and can you discern tunes on it? Is this loft an area that has been unheated in the winter? I have brought many a piano back to life that people have thought was no good for making music anymore. On the other hand though, just from your description so far, it sounds like someone didn't care about it enough to take care of it. I also get calls fairly frequently from people wanting me to get rid of their old pianos for them.

Feb 5, 2008, 06:03 PM
    I'm not worried about getting rid of the piano .Its at a lumber yard and I can get rid of it if I wanted to easily. To be honest, I was just looking to make extra money on something really old and free. Thank you for your answer
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 11:38 PM
    If you are looking to scrap the piano, then be sure to have a piano technician take the tension off the strings. There is approximately 18 to 22 thousand pounds of tension on the strings in a piano. Simply throwing the piano away or breaking it apart without loosening the tension can be a very dangerous situation. The piano can implode upon itself, and anyone nearby could be injured.

There may be some parts off it that you could salvage for other things and maybe make a profit of some kind. Typically, the veneer on the cases of old, upright pianos is very beautiful and can be made into other things. I have many old piano case parts stored in my home. They can be made into tables of various shapes and sizes or even bookshelves.

Also, a piano tuner/technician might be interested in purchasing the action to use in repairing other old uprights where the parts might be difficult to obtain.

Feb 6, 2008, 04:54 AM
    Thank you for your answer ,it is very helpful . I might just see if there is any useful parts on it . And if not the schaff bros. sign on it if cleaned up might look good cleaned up on the waal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thumb Piano [ 29 Answers ]

I took a craft class in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma a few years ago and purchased and painted a Thumb Piano. It only has 8 keys and the board is solid wood, not four sides with sound opening. Very simple in design. I have searched trying to find how to order more but all I see are made from either...

Schaaf bros piano [ 2 Answers ]

I found a piano in very poor condition is it worth anything ? Maybe for parts ? It was in an old brewery from the 1800's

Super Smash Bros. Mêlée [ 1 Answers ]

Who has/had the game Super Smash Bros.Melee? If you do/did,how do you get Mewtwo?

1898 Piano [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know what a 1898 Adam Schaaf upright piano is worth

Learning the Piano [ 9 Answers ]

Can one of those portable keyboards be used to learn the piano. If so, which one would you recommend?

View more questions Search