Here's a good article about just that:
    http://money.cnn.com/2003/08/20/pf/y...restonlyloans/

In my opinion, there are no pros.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2006, 11:20 AM
    Loan
    Low payments,

Perhaps if you were a first year doctor or attorney and you knew you were going to triple your income in the next few years,

It allows you to pay only interest, so a loan is never paid off, ever unless you make increased payments.

I see it as a trap to get people into borrowing more money than they can afford to pay off. A real "RED FLAG" situation if I ever saw one.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Jan 17, 2006, 12:55 PM
    There is very little advantage to having an interest-only loan. With a conventional loan, at the beginning of the term of the loan most of the monthly payment already consists of interest, with very little being paid toward principal. If your monthly payment is $1000 then only about $5 or $10 is principal. So for the first year or two you're paying almost the same monthly payment on an interest-only loan as you would be with a conventional loan.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2006, 11:43 AM
    IO is at best a questionably useful tool that is misused by most.

Many are using it to buy houses in over inflated markets that are priced out of the reach of a traditional loan. So what happens if the mkt drops? Now you have a loan for more than the house is worth and you have no equity. You've lost money at best. Some I'm sure will go bankrupt.

will those who took traditional loans in the same markets be hurting? As LisaB4657 mentioned, in the short run there isn't a big difference in payments. So yeah, the moral of the story is if you intend to buy real estate in a market that is grossly inflated you better get a heck of a deal or hope the bubble burts later and not sooner. ** or not buy in an inflated market ** Those with traditional loans will be in a better place over time (perhaps) because they will be "saving $$" in equity. Those with IO's are depending solely on the house appreciating for any gain. This is called speculating. Not necessarily wrong, but its risky.

Others are using it to get more house for their $$. Well not really. Again, you are getting a bigger house but now you need to furnish it an heat it and maintain it. The "extra" money you "save" by not paying principal is now going to where? The house. Or toward that lovely credit card bill that comes cause you charged the extra furnishings you needed.

a house is usually a lousy investment. Unless you buy at a great price or your market really takes off or you can get passive income from the home (rent out a loft, income from land, etc) most of the time your return on dollar is sad by the time you figure in utilities, insurance, upkeep, etc. but you do have to live somewhere, and some money put into equity is better than nothing, right? Some say maybe.

lets say you do things really well. You buy a solid house at a price that is close to or hopefully less than "true value"... a price that'll stand up over time to reasonable downturns and market swings. You buy a house that you could afford anyway with a traditional loan and you live there more than a few years. Now you have some "extra cash" that isn't going toward equity.

well, I guess the best case scenario is that you use that "extra" money to make more money. Using it to reduce high interest debt and using it to fund investments that would gain more over time than your money sitting there in equity. If that extra money lets you max out your 401k to get the full employer match, it might make sense. If you are able to channel that cash into passive income investments, it might make sense. This takes more discipline than most people have, and it requires everything to go "well".

if all you do with that "extra money" is spend it on stuff, you're just hoping that the house appreciates and "renting" in the meantime.

I might grumble about having my $$ tied up in equity as being a lousy investment dollar for return, but it beats my human nature to spend cash in hand. Ten becomes twenty becomes a hundred becomes thousands, all while you are just paying bills. Yeah, inflation eats at the value of that money each year, but I can live with that for now.

ALL real estate purchases have risk. The IO's simply place even more risk in your hands. Those who are financially disciplined and real estate savvy might be able to make IO's work. But I'd bet they'd find other avenues to make and save money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home loan interest rate [ 1 Answers ]

What are some some of the home loan interest rates now for good to average credit for fixed rate.

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

Getting a loan [ 5 Answers ]

I have bad credit but I have been at my job for 5 years now is there any company out there that would be willing to give me a personal loan or does anyone know of any way or anyone that would be willing to finance me. Right now I really need a loan. Will someone please help me

Need an SBA loan [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Is there a way to get an SBA loan with bad credit?

View more questions Search