Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gehun Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Court date appearance
    Hi, I was charged with possession of stole property under 5000, my first offence. My court date is coming up and when I talked to my lawyer he told me that I did not need to go to court and he would represent me. He hasn't even received the discharge yet. But I am wondering if it would look better to the judge if I showed up.

Thanks
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 04:03 PM
    I would say you should go. I can't see him telling you not to go.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Hello gehn:

Either listen to your lawyer, or fire him and hire one you WILL listen to.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 06:48 AM
    [QUOTE=gehun]hi, I was charged with possession of stole property under 5000, my first offence. My court date is coming up and when I talked to my lawyer he told me that I did not need to go to court and he would represent me. He hasn't even received the discharge yet. But I am wondering if it would look better to the judge if I showed up.

If you are paying the Attorney, follow his advice - if he wanted you there (or needed you there) he would tell you. I'm sure he has his reasons.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 02:53 PM
    If you did not have an attorney then you should go. The fact you do have an attorney means that you do not have to attend this hearing. If he says you don't have to be there - then believe him. This is probably the first court hearing where you are entering your plea. Did you sign anything at his office when you were there? You probably did and don't remember it stating that you pled not guilty. You will have to show up at the next court hearing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Court Appearance [ 2 Answers ]

How can I find out if someone has a court appearance today? And if I can then what information do I need?

Legal service for court appearance [ 1 Answers ]

My mother and I are named in a legal suite pertaining to a will. My mother was served by a person. I am out of the country and haven't been served. We are wondering if my mother has to appear

Court Appearance / Warrant [ 2 Answers ]

I have to appear in court before a judge because I am working with JG Wentworth for a settlement purchase and the next step is to get a approval from a judge. I was wondering what the chances are of being arrested when I show for court. My warrant is an another county over 50 miles, and I may have...

View more questions Search