Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    forevernow Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Feb 28, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Bardonicus, this subject does not make sense intellectually unless we have direct experience. We must find out for ourselves what exactly is happiness, where is it, and how to cultivate more of it. And when we know the way, we must let go of our intellect as this is the biggest hindrance. The expression of looking for happiness via the mind is like crossing a river on the back of an alligator. It will never take us across the river.

Once again, love is not a feeling nor an emotion. It is a natural state. Feelings are what create thoughts, miseries, and the confusions we are in now. Once we let go of all our feelings, what we have left is the natural state of love, bliss, and imperturbable peace. Each person must prove this for him/herself. No one could help us; all they can do is to point out the direction.

You asked if feelings are a part of us. Maybe the most important question is "Who are we?" "What am I?" and once we get the full satisfactory answer to the question, then we can see clearly what feelings are and what do they have to do with us.

So, does this get clearer yet?
    kiki_doki Posts: 200, Reputation: 11

Feb 28, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Hello there,
    Ahhh man, it must be the time of year, I mean when the sun is shining and the days are longer problems don't seem to matter as much! I have also found myself going a bit flat. For me the problem is that I have recently finished my degree, something I have aimed for for 7 years(had a couple of children during the process). Coming to the end was amazing, the graduation was amazing and then what? Well nothing really, life goes on, I still don't know what I want to do, or if I have an inkling then I don't know how to get there.. its all pretty frustrating I tell you! Its like I'm living the same day everyday,every week! I really try hard not to dwell on though and am pushing myself to do things out of routine at a bid to change the rigor and mundanity that has become my life. I also find that praying helps, I don't want to push religion down your throat or convert you, but are you spiritual? It often helps, I have friends of different denominations and this is the one thing we all share... as for following your passion, I think not, I think its more about convenience, its convenient for me to work around my kids and so that is what I'm seeking out... what else do you enjoy doing in your life? Maybe start doing it more... a job/career is your bread but its not your life, it doesn't define who you are... (please be warned cheese to follow):i think you need to tap into who you are and what else you want to do or enjoy doing (other than work). Save up, give up your job and go travelling, or something to that effect!
    Cheshire2008 Posts: 74, Reputation: 17

Feb 28, 2008, 08:25 PM
    You know when I feel disillusioned with life and find myself asking what is it all about.
    All I have to do is go to a place where people are not as fortunate as me.
    You can do this by helping out being a mentor giving of yourself to your community.
    It is very humbling but yet uplifting to see people struggling and still full of hope.
    You can volunteer at a hospital or a soup kitchen. The world is a mess
    You could make a difference in someone's life. This is where I receive more then they do
    The satisfaction of helping someone else no stings attached. Try it
    Since I have some people in my life in recovery NA and AA I can go sit in a meeting
    They have open ones and wow my life sounds great. I have no addictions
    Believe me life is very good!
    Bardonicus Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Feb 29, 2008, 12:53 AM
    Finding small ways to kind of make yourself happy could definitely help but the main question is, unconditional happiness. That's the biggest problem. I want a inner peace that's there despite what happens externally.

Feb 29, 2008, 02:28 AM
    This audio might describe exactly what we are all searching externally for the happiness that can only be found inwardly:
    Introduction (Real Player file)

For further details:
    Explanations and Techniques
    Keep It Simple
    The Ultimate Goal

Are there still further questions?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 03:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardonicus
    Finding small ways to kind of make yourself happy could definitly help but the main question is, unconditional happiness. That's the biggest problem. I want a inner peace thats there despite what happens externally.
    Inner peace is the one thing humans have been searching for centuries.

People have taken various paths to achieve inner peace,some through accumulation of material possessions and wealth.Some through drugs; others through music,or through meditation.
    Some look for inner peace through their husbands and wives, others through their careers and some even through their children's achievements. The list is endless.

Inner peace is for the most part of our lives very elusive; we never seem to be able to hold onto it for very long.

We sometimes make the mistake of assuming personal pleasures for inner peace,spending wealth,sexual relationships,food,friendships,our children,success etc.

These pleasure though do not last long and the feeling disappears when the stimulus is gone.Wealth decreases,relationships may fail,food takes its toll on our bodies,friends may become distant,children grow up, and we don't always succeed.

I agree,these pleasures do make our life our worthwhile at that moment in time,but once it is gone we are left with the feeling of despair and if our lives become too predictable we get bored and restless.
    All things in our environments effect our moods and inner peace,a neighbour quarrels we find ourselves becoming angry on one or the other's behalf.An accident occurs and we worry about those loved ones travelling the same streets.

There is so much in this world that hinders us from calm thoughts.

We must understand that inner peace is not something we can achieve by looking out into the world,our search will be futile.
    But then if we look inside us and become aware of what our soul needs then we are on the path to peace.
    Once we get to the stage where physical trials may bring tears to our eyes,a pang to the heart,but that inner peace will hold strong through the trials and beyond.
    Whatever happens outside of our spiritual selves will happen and we will wade through some and fly through others,but our inner peace will remain intact.

Mar 1, 2008, 06:17 AM
    We must understand that inner peace is not something we can achieve by looking out into the world,our search will be futile.
    But then if we look inside us and become aware of what our soul needs then we are on the path to peace.
    Once we get to the stage where physical trials may bring tears to our eyes,a pang to the heart,but that inner peace will hold strong through the trials and beyond.
    Whatever happens outside of our spiritual selves will happen and we will wade through some and fly through others,but our inner peace will remain intact.
    I know all this! That's the problem. I want to know how I can find that inner knowledge? "By searching within yourself" can drive you insane and is not really an step by step guide.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2008, 09:57 AM
    I know all this! That's the problem. I want to know how I can find that inner knowledge? "By searching within yourself" can drive you insane and is not really an step by step guide.
    Personally for me I find my step by step guide in my beliefs,which is why I had previously recommended studying a religion.

I am on a path to peace,it takes working at it everyday,but I am at peace within me with the knowledge that I am following the truth.

I would still recommend searching for the truth regarding life and death.This life is short and it will be over before you know it.
    I believe in an eternal life after death,this guides me to do certain things in this life in order to have the best in the next.It also helps me overcome the trials of this worldly life much easier now than a while ago when I wasn't a "firmbeliever".

Mar 2, 2008, 08:45 PM
    What you are searching for is enlightenment. For a step-by-step guide, you can search into the various methods. From the East: Jnana Yoga, Raja or Kriya Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Karma Yoga, etc. From the West: Release Technique/Sedona Method, surrender and devotion to your God, unselfish service to the world, etc. The path that is best for you is the one that you like best. Search into these methods and test them out for yourself. There are much more methods than these listed here. Find out for yourself, as no one will be able to give you the exact step-by-step method that suits you.

Are there more questions?

Mar 4, 2008, 11:37 AM
    I have searched allot of methods but I haven't found anything that I can say I align with 100% yet. Is there any place that you can recommend for me to search?
    shatteredsoul Posts: 423, Reputation: 130

Mar 6, 2008, 04:13 PM
    I think everyone has moments or periods of feeling just like you. YOu are yearning for something more but cannot decide which direction to go, or why its so hard to be happy.
    It is a need for awareness and understanding of God within.
    About thirteen years back, during a time confusion and conflict in my own life, I was driving down my street headed home. I thought I almost ran something over. I stopped to see what it was, opened my door and saw it was a book. I looked at it, it was torn a bit but I was drawn to it. It was called, A Conversation With God. I brought it home but didn't read it immediately. BUT a few days later, I picked it up and just opened it to a page and it was like the book was talking to me about my life and my issues. Needless to say, it was lifechanging for me. It literally transformed my perception of my existence and what power I contain within. I became aware of a God within me, not just something external. I realized that I was goodness and love and that was a reason to be happy. It was like I was supposed to find this book and read it. It was meant to be.
    I have always had religion in my life and a sense of spirituality, but this was the beginning of a growth that I had yet to understand. Our souls want to grow and want to be nourished. In this country we focus on the external, material things. WE make our appearances more important than what we hold within us. As a society, we get so many mixed messages about what equates happiness and well being. Is it looks, money or fame? I think not. YEt we strive for unnecessary status and acknowledgement. HOWEVER, the answers and the happiness don't always follow fame or fortune. WE can realize those answers by looking within. It's that simple.
    You must rediscover the wonder and miracle of you and your spirit. Feel connected with the gifts you have been given and read about everything that interests you. If it is a spiritual need, read about it. IT doesn't matter as long as you get nourishment. If it is following a dream, make active, purposeful steps towards that goal and keep moving forward. This will bring a sense of accomplishment and purpose to your life. This brings happiness within. Open your heart and your mind to all people, be compassionate and wise. This will bring you a peace and joy.
    Whatever restlessness you are feeling, take it as a sign from within that you need to feel fulfilled and loved. Loving yourself and allowing your spirit to grow, would be a great start. I wish you peace within!!

Mar 7, 2008, 12:52 AM
    Pick one method and take it all the way. The goal is to totally quiet the mind so that the happiness, joy, and peace that are always there manifest themselves. Whatever method you take will end up answering the final question, "What am I?" Upon getting the answer to it, even a partial answer, one feels much happier than before, and all one needs to do is to finish up the journey.

Knowing that the ultimate goal is to totally quiet the mind, then we choose whichever method that we like that take us the fastest to this goal. Since thoughts culminate into tendencies, or habits, one method is to eliminate all reactive tendencies and long-ingrained habits. If we do this everyday, then it quiets our mind every time we eliminate a tendency or habit.

Since tendencies culminate into feelings, a faster method is to remove all feelings. If one thinks that once one eliminates all one's feelings one becomes a zombie, then first eliminate the feelings then find out if it is actually true instead of using the mind to reason it out. Our goal is to eliminate the mind, which is unwanted thoughts and feelings. If one wants to use this method, which is a very fast method, then look into the Release Technique of Lester Levenson.

An even faster method would be to remove one single fear, the fear of dying and the fear of living (two sides of one coin). Once this fear is totally removed, one finds that happiness lies on the other side of fear and death.

A very top method, which is holding onto "What am I?" until the answer comes, at the exclusion of all other thoughts. If a thought comes in, strike it down. Ask, "To whom is this thought? Well, to me...then, what am I?" and remain quiet until another thought comes in, and then ask the question again. Keep this up until all thoughts are eliminated. Keep this in the background of one's mind even if one is going through the daily activities of life. A very concentrated method, yet very few are able to hold this kind of concentration. Once one has used other methods quite successfully, one is better able to concentrate and then use this method.

These are the methods that can be used every day and very effective to see the results. If possible, use only the methods where the main source of help is yourself. Depend not on someone or something to quiet your mind and take you to the goal.

A short overview, do you still have further questions?
    vijayeswaran1985 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 03:45 AM
    I have come to a place in my early adult life where I feel that I have little to no meaning. Every day I wake up and go to work (which I do enjoy) and come back home finding myself thinking the same old thoughts. It feels like my career has become the meaning in my life which is the last thing that I want. I have goals. I have lost a lot of motivation to complete them because when I do get high marks for that exam or when I stop that bad behavior then I'm left with a feeling of emptiness. Maybe a 2 second feeling of achievement then nothing. People often think that I failed after an exam etc. because I don't look happy when in actual fact I get 95% average.

Setting other goals have become boring and doesn't excite me anymore. Is this as good as this gets? Is this it? If it is then I fear that I may not survive it.
    What you need now is to connect just with yourself and not the people around you. You need to understand yourself better and accept yourself.

Have you tried sitting silent for some time and introspecting? If not, then do it. There is a lot of power in silence. Read this book for more tips. In The Sphere of Silence

Vijay Eswaran
    bob90 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2009, 04:15 PM
    Intro: How good it is to be alive, to feel that you are accomplishing something and that your life has real meaning! Nobody really enjoys an aimless life- a life without purpose.
    Around the earth, millions of persons are working hard and trying to find real happiness in living. Yet there comes a time when people stop and ask, “Where am I really going?” It may seem that life is merely a matter of living a few short years raising children to carry on the family name, and then the children in turn repeat the same cycle, IS THERE NO GREATER PURPOSE IN IT ALL?

FRUSTRATIONS OF THIS LIFE LEAD MANY TO FRANTIC SEARCH FOR MEANING (6 min.)
    Young and old often question and reject age-old goals of mankind………Idividuals of great power / wealth –still emptyness
    Wealth has contributed to anxieties, not always satisfying (Ec 2:4-11; w77 59; w88 8/15 18; w86 6/15 3,10)…….. Solomon / Look up Proverbs 23:4/ Read/then……Fly's away - If not when we are alive- when we die
    Fame is only transitory; people are soon forgotten (Ec 2:15,16; w77 78-79; w87 8/15/ 10-11) If you achieved the worldly success of admired celeberties, would you really be happy and satisfied?…A very successful Hollywood actress said: “I've had my taste of wealth and all the material things. They don't mean a thing. There is a psychiatrist that goes with every swimming pool out there, not to mention divorces and children who hate there parents.
    Power is temporary; person may be replaced by rivals; surely will end by death (w76 626)
    Beauty also quickly fades (g86 1/8 14-15)Media – emphasis on looks- it sell/ make money- care products….Here is a point to ponder: Aren't most of friends rather average looking? Some of them by worldly standards would be considered unattractive. Younger ones what about your parents? Would either of them be material for the cover of a fashion magazine? Probably not. But does that change your feelings toward them? In fact, once you come to appreciate them for what they are and not for how they look, you probably seldom even think about there looks.
    Life accomplishments do not amount too much in eternal time
    Soon one is gone and forgotten (Ps 103:15, 16)
    (Psalm 103:15-16) 15 As for mortal man, his days are like those of green grass; Like a blossom of the field is the way he blossoms forth. 16 For a mere wind has to pass over it, and it is no more; And its place will acknowledge it no further.

This is not a cynical but a realistic view
    If this life is all there is, we are not even a drop in stream of time or a speck on scales of eternity (w73 325-30; g87 1/22 12) Many struggle with impending death on the horizon

HOW THE RESURRECTION HOPE HELPS US (15 min.)
    People have long clung to hope of life beyond death (g88 7/8 4-7)
    Many believe in doctrines based on immortality of soul (rs 379-80; sh 52-6)
    Some think that good go to heaven; others believe in transmigration of souls, Nirvana (gh 103-5; w90 5/1 18-19)
    Bible shatters all such false teachings (Ec 3:19,20; 9:5,10; w90 5/1 19-23)
    So, is this life all there is? Is there no hope?
    Bible assures us that God will resurrect many people (Acts 24:15; g78 11/8 3-5; ts 166-75; lp 116-18)
    This is not a fanciful, unfounded hope
    Jesus promised resurrection will occur under his Kingdom (John 5:28,29)
    He demonstrated that humans can be resurrected (Luke 7:11-17; w 86 12/15 8-9)
    But what about a person long dead, whose body has disintegrated?
    God can create that person; suitable body and thoughts restored (vi 28)
    DNA in single cell contains coded instruction for billions of cells (ce 48)
    Creator of DNA has capacity to remember life pattern of a person if He chooses to do so
    This life need not be all there is (g80 5/22 5-9; g67 6/22 6-7)
    Resurrection is a means of accomplishing God's purpose
    God purpose for obedient to have eternal life in perfection
    Such life would have meaning (w73 326)
    Would not be cut short or frustrated by death (g70 10/8 14-17; w84 8/15 4; g90 4/22 9)
    The damage done by Adamic death is not irreversible
    Resurrection can take the sting out of death (1 Co 15:55)
    Helps person to understand one major thing that gives meaning to life (Ec 12:13,14; w78 1/1 31)

Page Two (Is this Life All There Is)

OUR LIFE TODAY CAN BE ESPECIALLY MEANINGFUL (5 min.)
    We live at a time when people can escape ever dying
    Now live in 'the conclusion of this system of things' (Mt 24:3; g88 4/8 7 [box], 11 [box]
    Can enter right into endless life (ts 151-65; w90 5/1 28)
    As to the resurrection, the question is Will God choose to remember a certain person and resurrect him?
    For each of us the question is, Will God find me worthy of preservation into the new world under Christ's Kingdom?
    If answer is yes, then this life, even now, is not all there is

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES KNOW THAT LIFE HAS REAL PURPOSE (9 min.)
    They know that this life is not all there is; have confidence in new world
    Not groping to find the meaning of life (g80 10/22 6-11)
    They have found that following God's counsel is best way of life
    Apply God's Word in their own lives; results are happy families
    One who becomes a witness is part of a loving congregation of people
    Although Witnesses are not living just for the present, they enjoy a rich life (w73 401-6)
    Love for Jehovah moves Witnesses to obey him despite opposition (2 Ti 3:12)
    Reporter Milo Kominek in book Even Under the Sky There is Hell (1971) described integrity of
    Witnesses in Communist labor camps in Czechoslovakia during 1951: “I will always remember with admiration and recognition Jehovists, mostly young boys, who refused military duty and were condemned for it. Even here they remained in their faith, that work for war is sin, and they refused to work in uranium mines. Commanders of the camps used everything they had at their disposition to force them to do the work, but everything they tried was in vain; most of them would rather die than work in building the Soviet atomic threat. The chief of the camp Palacek made them stand for days in front of headquarters in snowdrifts in the [-] 30° C. [-22°F.] winter weather, pouring water on them till they were frozen. It was a terrible sight, which will haunt me till I die” (w74 373)

Belief in resurrection strengthens one to be faithful despite danger of death (2 Co 1:8,9; Heb 12:1-3)
    Witnesses know that this life is not all there is

NEED TO CULTIVATE THE RIGHT VIEWPOINT (10 min.)
    Those who know that this life is not all there is should reflect this conviction by their associations and activities
    In first century C.E. Christians believed in resurrection
    Did not accept pagan teaching of immortality of soul or live-for-today philosophy
    But some began to deny the actuality of the resurrection; hence, these adopted the view that this life is all there is (1 Co 15:12, 32b; w82 4/1 17-18)
    Paul strongly refuted this view (1 Cor 15:3-8, 13-19; w81 12/15 18; w84 10/1 30-1)
    Avoid association with those who deny the resurrection or think that this life is all there is
    Such people would urge you to compromise your faith (1 Cor 15:33; w88 6/15 18-19)
    They would encourage you to live only for the present (ts 12-15)
    Jehovah's Witnesses do not live just for the present
    Anticipate grand future in new world now near
    We invite you to attend meetings regularly at Kingdom Hall and then to qualify to share in our public preaching
    This is most worthwhile thing one can do now; it is not in vain (1 Co 15:58)
    bob90 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2009, 04:15 PM
    Intro: How good it is to be alive, to feel that you are accomplishing something and that your life has real meaning! Nobody really enjoys an aimless life- a life without purpose.
    Around the earth, millions of persons are working hard and trying to find real happiness in living. Yet there comes a time when people stop and ask, “Where am I really going?” It may seem that life is merely a matter of living a few short years raising children to carry on the family name, and then the children in turn repeat the same cycle, IS THERE NO GREATER PURPOSE IN IT ALL?

FRUSTRATIONS OF THIS LIFE LEAD MANY TO FRANTIC SEARCH FOR MEANING (6 min.)
    Young and old often question and reject age-old goals of mankind………Idividuals of great power / wealth –still emptyness
    Wealth has contributed to anxieties, not always satisfying (Ec 2:4-11; w77 59; w88 8/15 18; w86 6/15 3,10)…….. Solomon / Look up Proverbs 23:4/ Read/then……Fly's away - If not when we are alive- when we die
    Fame is only transitory; people are soon forgotten (Ec 2:15,16; w77 78-79; w87 8/15/ 10-11) If you achieved the worldly success of admired celeberties, would you really be happy and satisfied?…A very successful Hollywood actress said: “I've had my taste of wealth and all the material things. They don't mean a thing. There is a psychiatrist that goes with every swimming pool out there, not to mention divorces and children who hate there parents.
    Power is temporary; person may be replaced by rivals; surely will end by death (w76 626)
    Beauty also quickly fades (g86 1/8 14-15)Media – emphasis on looks- it sell/ make money- care products….Here is a point to ponder: Aren't most of friends rather average looking? Some of them by worldly standards would be considered unattractive. Younger ones what about your parents? Would either of them be material for the cover of a fashion magazine? Probably not. But does that change your feelings toward them? In fact, once you come to appreciate them for what they are and not for how they look, you probably seldom even think about there looks.
    Life accomplishments do not amount too much in eternal time
    Soon one is gone and forgotten (Ps 103:15, 16)
    (Psalm 103:15-16) 15 As for mortal man, his days are like those of green grass; Like a blossom of the field is the way he blossoms forth. 16 For a mere wind has to pass over it, and it is no more; And its place will acknowledge it no further.

This is not a cynical but a realistic view
    If this life is all there is, we are not even a drop in stream of time or a speck on scales of eternity (w73 325-30; g87 1/22 12) Many struggle with impending death on the horizon

HOW THE RESURRECTION HOPE HELPS US (15 min.)
    People have long clung to hope of life beyond death (g88 7/8 4-7)
    Many believe in doctrines based on immortality of soul (rs 379-80; sh 52-6)
    Some think that good go to heaven; others believe in transmigration of souls, Nirvana (gh 103-5; w90 5/1 18-19)
    Bible shatters all such false teachings (Ec 3:19,20; 9:5,10; w90 5/1 19-23)
    So, is this life all there is? Is there no hope?
    Bible assures us that God will resurrect many people (Acts 24:15; g78 11/8 3-5; ts 166-75; lp 116-18)
    This is not a fanciful, unfounded hope
    Jesus promised resurrection will occur under his Kingdom (John 5:28,29)
    He demonstrated that humans can be resurrected (Luke 7:11-17; w 86 12/15 8-9)
    But what about a person long dead, whose body has disintegrated?
    God can create that person; suitable body and thoughts restored (vi 28)
    DNA in single cell contains coded instruction for billions of cells (ce 48)
    Creator of DNA has capacity to remember life pattern of a person if He chooses to do so
    This life need not be all there is (g80 5/22 5-9; g67 6/22 6-7)
    Resurrection is a means of accomplishing God's purpose
    God purpose for obedient to have eternal life in perfection
    Such life would have meaning (w73 326)
    Would not be cut short or frustrated by death (g70 10/8 14-17; w84 8/15 4; g90 4/22 9)
    The damage done by Adamic death is not irreversible
    Resurrection can take the sting out of death (1 Co 15:55)
    Helps person to understand one major thing that gives meaning to life (Ec 12:13,14; w78 1/1 31)

Page Two (Is this Life All There Is)

OUR LIFE TODAY CAN BE ESPECIALLY MEANINGFUL (5 min.)
    We live at a time when people can escape ever dying
    Now live in 'the conclusion of this system of things' (Mt 24:3; g88 4/8 7 [box], 11 [box]
    Can enter right into endless life (ts 151-65; w90 5/1 28)
    As to the resurrection, the question is Will God choose to remember a certain person and resurrect him?
    For each of us the question is, Will God find me worthy of preservation into the new world under Christ's Kingdom?
    If answer is yes, then this life, even now, is not all there is

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES KNOW THAT LIFE HAS REAL PURPOSE (9 min.)
    They know that this life is not all there is; have confidence in new world
    Not groping to find the meaning of life (g80 10/22 6-11)
    They have found that following God's counsel is best way of life
    Apply God's Word in their own lives; results are happy families
    One who becomes a witness is part of a loving congregation of people
    Although Witnesses are not living just for the present, they enjoy a rich life (w73 401-6)
    Love for Jehovah moves Witnesses to obey him despite opposition (2 Ti 3:12)
    Reporter Milo Kominek in book Even Under the Sky There is Hell (1971) described integrity of
    Witnesses in Communist labor camps in Czechoslovakia during 1951: “I will always remember with admiration and recognition Jehovists, mostly young boys, who refused military duty and were condemned for it. Even here they remained in their faith, that work for war is sin, and they refused to work in uranium mines. Commanders of the camps used everything they had at their disposition to force them to do the work, but everything they tried was in vain; most of them would rather die than work in building the Soviet atomic threat. The chief of the camp Palacek made them stand for days in front of headquarters in snowdrifts in the [-] 30° C. [-22°F.] winter weather, pouring water on them till they were frozen. It was a terrible sight, which will haunt me till I die” (w74 373)

Belief in resurrection strengthens one to be faithful despite danger of death (2 Co 1:8,9; Heb 12:1-3)
    Witnesses know that this life is not all there is

NEED TO CULTIVATE THE RIGHT VIEWPOINT (10 min.)
    Those who know that this life is not all there is should reflect this conviction by their associations and activities
    In first century C.E. Christians believed in resurrection
    Did not accept pagan teaching of immortality of soul or live-for-today philosophy
    But some began to deny the actuality of the resurrection; hence, these adopted the view that this life is all there is (1 Co 15:12, 32b; w82 4/1 17-18)
    Paul strongly refuted this view (1 Cor 15:3-8, 13-19; w81 12/15 18; w84 10/1 30-1)
    Avoid association with those who deny the resurrection or think that this life is all there is
    Such people would urge you to compromise your faith (1 Cor 15:33; w88 6/15 18-19)
    They would encourage you to live only for the present (ts 12-15)
    Jehovah's Witnesses do not live just for the present
    Anticipate grand future in new world now near
    We invite you to attend meetings regularly at Kingdom Hall and then to qualify to share in our public preaching
    This is most worthwhile thing one can do now; it is not in vain (1 Co 15:58)
    meggy86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2009, 06:49 PM
    I think the only answer to the question "is this all there is to life?" is no, it's not. Waking up, going to work, and performing other such ritual actions day after day often seems to have no purpose, no point. When I sit and think about this for a while, I am forced to come to the conclusion that this life cannot be the end. There has to be more, because if there weren't som higher power or divinity, some heaven which we are working to reach, there wouldn't be a point to life. And so, whether it is true, I myself believe that there is a God out there and that death isn't the end to life. Without this faith there would be no point in my living.
    notaboutme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 10:56 PM
    When the questions like "Do i have a purpose in life or is this it?", or when you feel that void that EVERYBODY feels at some time or another, whether they admit it or not, next time this type of feeling comes, look around you, ask yourself who is nearest to you in your life? If maybe you live alone or don't really have many friends,(u can be perfectly honest, you're asking yourself) Well then who do you work with everyday, or who do you go to school with? You get the point... Well next time you're with them, purpose to make their day go as well as you can. What can you do to help the person right next to u? Now obviously you have cares of your own... but when you remember, maybe say a few kind words, it could affect a person's whole day, maybe just pick someone up a coffee, to you it's 3 bucks, to them maybe it's the most friendly thing that anyone's done in the week. You never know. Now it probably sounds like this makes no sense, because how would thinking of someone else benefit you... Well you might be surprised. You might find that as you look on the cares of people around u, not as a law but because what better thing do you have to do, you might find that your days are more fulfilling and your happier overall. Sure u'll forget and get caught up in your own problems and cares, and maybe go an hour, day, week, month, before you remember that you were going to try to look on other people's cares more than your own, well then you just purpose to start at it again... of course I can totally see how this wouldn't make any sense and you probably haven't even read this far... but if you consider your concerns to start, an emptiness or void in your life, maybe the question of whether there is a bigger purpose in life, or whatever you call that feeling, well if you consider how much time you spend wondering these "bigger than life" questions(consciously or unconsciously) what do you have to lose by trying that for even a week? I would submit that maybe if you purpose to put a smile on the people around u's faces(maybe with nothing in return) u will find more meaning in life. PS: there's a lot I want to write about how this connects with faith and God, but I understand that that kind of language can turn away people very quickly, so I'll wait) good luck
    bfay1993 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2010, 05:04 PM
    I honestly believe we are all so lost and less than satisfied with our lives because nothing is REAL anymore. We go to these jobs where we have to be someone we aren't most of the time. We spend more time at work than with our families all to pay for luxuries we don't really need. Strip it all away and get back to nature. Away from TV & all these mobile devices we have our faces shoved in most of the time. I feel like we are all blind and pre-programmed to live this "normal" life that is actually completely insane. We buy and buy and buy! How about making your own things for once and truly appreciating the accomplishment after. So much easier said than done.
    onetrueway Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2010, 08:39 AM
    Find out if there is a God and if so what was the purpose and plan He had for our lives. If there is a God our existence and value stems from Him. In other words if you search yourself you will lack the answers and feel empty. Answers like what happens to men when I die. If you search the answers in God your find out that who you think you are is not really who you are and what your living for is not really what you should be living for. That is if you believe in the God of the bible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Life in heaven or life on earth? [ 21 Answers ]

Given a choice of living forever in perfect health on a paradise earth or living forever in heaven as a spirit, which would you choose?

My life [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me if you see any major changes coming my way In my love life

Life [ 6 Answers ]

Hi just to start by saying I haven't been on here for a while which is also due to me moving etc because I had to :mad: and at the moment I actually hate life. I feel really depressed and have cut myself off from my friends. Even some really close friends I can't speak too and they try and help...

Now all I think about is a life with her [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first post.

View more questions Search