Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    49club Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Employer search
    I received a GA Small Claims judgement in my favor. I was not able to collect the whole amount fom the defendant because they quit their job. Please tell me - what is the easiest/most efficient way of locating their new employer?

Thanks!
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Follow him/her to work or hire a PI; check the Yellow Pages.
    getpeaceofmind Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 07:45 PM
    I am a licensed private investigator. If its just you, George 1950 is right, follow them to work or hire a private investigator who is experienced. There are several ways Pi's get employment info, But why would you try and garnish wages anyway? You will only get 25% (In my state at least) of gross, on each garnishment. It not worth it for the time and expense you have to go through. Why don't you go after bank accounts and if that doesn't work have the Sheriff's seize his vehicle.

Good luck,
    Katie M Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 49club
    I received a GA Small Claims judgement in my favor. I was not able to collect the whole amount fom the defendant because they quit their job. Please tell me - what is the easiest/most efficient way of locating their new employer?

Thanks!
    Hi,

I went through the same thing. I was awarded a small claim judgement and had to garnish wages. He kept getting fired and changing jobs. The easiest way I found was to have someone that you trust follow this person to find out where they are working now. I was going to follow myself and was told by an attorney to be careful that could be considered stalking. So be careful. I also contacted a trusted PI and I agree with getpeaceofmind, if it is a small claim you could easily spend a lot of money as I was told by the PI he would follow and have someone else to pick up and follow. This could also take several days and more money. I also went after the bank account, living in a small town they ignored it. I finally got some money, but by then he had cleaned out the account. Good Luck!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2008, 07:09 AM
    [QUOTE=getpeaceofmind]I am a licensed private investigator. If its just you, George 1950 is right, follow them to work or hire a private investigator who is experienced. There are several ways Pi's get employment info, But why would you try and garnish wages anyway? You will only get 25% (In my state at least) of gross, on each garnishment. It not worth it for the time and expense you have to go through. Why don't you go after bank accounts and if that doesn't work have the Sheriff's seize his vehicle.

In NYS seizing property is simply not worth the while due to the paperwork and expense of seizure, selling the property, owing the debor the balance and all of that -
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 49club

Thanks!
    Bring them in for full discovery and then you will find out where they work - rather than spend the time the debtor often either volunteers the info or pays the Judgment.

(This also takes you some time and additional effort.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Judy beat me to it, but seizing personal property is generally not the best alternative. As she mentioned the paperwork and expense is usually not worhth it. Seizing a bank account is a better idea assuming one can find an account. But deadbeats generally don't keep a lot of money in their checking or savings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can a previous employer say about you? [ 11 Answers ]

I left my job of almost 2 years just recently. I am now seeking employment elsewhere and wanted to know if my previous employer can give me a "bad" reference. I didn't really leave on the best terms (did not give two weeks notice, but DID finish my shift that day, and informed them that I would not...

Ex employer retaliation [ 6 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am a truck driver that hauls cars. I recently had to quite working for an employer after only driver for her for about 2 months. It became apparent to me that she was not stable in her business or her personal life. She was going through a really messy divorce and allowed...

Find an employer [ 1 Answers ]

I need to locate my ex-husband's current employer for child support reasons. Is there any way to do this?

View more questions Search