Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KnickGhie Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 02:32 AM
    Hardisk
    Hi, how can I boot from CD? Other than F12, what is the other way.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 17, 2006, 09:24 AM
    To boot from a CD, the CD needs to be bootable, the CD drive needs to be able to read bootable disks and your CMOS needs to be set to include the CD drive in the boot sequence. The only one you can fully control is the latter.

As you boot you should see a message to press some key (usually Del, F1 or similar0 to enter Setup. Press that key repeatedly until the CMOS setup screen appears. Then search through the screens to look for a boot up Sequence. Change that to boot frist from CD, then hard drive.
    KnickGhie Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 01:10 AM
    Is there a function keys that I should press, I try what have you said still it does work.
    Still, thank you for the concern.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 06:52 AM
    Boot to CD
    Hi,
    In your last reply, did you mean "I tried what you said, but it still does not work?"

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, but here are step-by-step instructions on how to enter the Bios or Cmos settings:

The following is step-by-step for entering the computer's CMOS/BIOS computer settings.
    Newer computers use the F1, or either F2, or either Delete, or either the Esc key. Dell uses F12. After re-boot or startup, immediately press down one of these keys, hold down for about 2 seconds, release, they press down for 2 seconds. Continue until it either goes into the settings window, or boots to windows.
    If it boots to windows, then shutdown or restart, and try the same thing with one of the other keys.
    Older computers use a combination of keys, such as Ctrl Alt Esc, (holding down all three keys at the same time), or Ctrl Alt Shift, or Ctrl Alt Delete.
    A Del computer also sometimes, uses DEL key.

After you get to the settings screen, the right hand side of the screen gives instructions on how to navigate around,; such as "the arrow keys" move up and down, or right and left. Esc key takes you back a step back. etc.
    If you wish you change a setting, such as the boot sequence, then:
    Key down to the "Boot Options" or "Boot Sequence". This tells the computer to boot to the floppy drive, then maybe the CD-ROM, and last, the C:/ prompt, then it automatically boots to windows.
    In the "Boot Options" space, some computers say press the Enter key to view the choices.
    Select how you want it to boot. A good choice(s) is to boot to all three; i.e. floppy, CD-ROM, then C:.
    This will enable you to install the operating system with either a floppy (Boot disc) or the install CD for windows, if you have the CD.
    Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to go to the different Menu categories at the top.
    After finishing, just press Esc, and following the directions to either "Save" or "Cancel" (without saving), returning to the normal booting-up process.

I hope this helps somewhat, and if not, please post back with exactly what you are trying to do. Have a great day.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2006, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KnickGhie
    is there a function keys that i should press, I try what have you said still it does work.
    Still, thank you for the concern.
    What EXACTLY did you do. The key to press to enter the CMOS settings varies from machine to machine, but that key is usually mentioned on the screen during the boot process. You have to press that key repeatedly as you boot until you get the Setup menu.
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

Feb 7, 2006, 04:42 PM
    If you made the cd rom to boot first and the hd second then if the cd is not a bootable cd it will skip it and go straight to the hd

Not all windows cds are bootable this way especially the newest ones

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Formatting hardisk [ 3 Answers ]

Please help me on how to reformat hardisk in step by step procedure:(

Hardisk problem... [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 40 gig maxtor and with no reason the system just hang-up when I'm playing nba.. I push the restart button and a message appear Invalid system disk.. So,I installed a new os on the hardisk.. The hardisk is detected in the bios but the xp installer cannot access it.. I already used windows...

Formatting a hardisk [ 3 Answers ]

:(I formatted a hardisk and followed the steps in formatting, I got a message after "pls wait while setup Initializes, scanning system registry... Windows setup requires 7340032 bytes available And it stops there. I got the same message for a new hardisk. What shall I do??

View more questions Search