Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gvb2jana Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 01:57 AM
    Fear to face people at seminor times
    Today I host a seminar session in my college, I don't no why I'm getting scared, even if I prepared well, when I am standing in front of lecturers and pupils I forgeted all the heighlighting points in my topic,surelly I will get zero in that session, I don't why its happening to me?yesterday fully , I showed domenstration to my mom and dad, how I am going to do in the seminor,before going to college my face look like:) this, after coming to home my face look like :o ,when I am standing in the stage I feel scared vary much, my body and my new dress fully wet. How to rectify all these things? How can I prepare for next seminor.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 04:53 AM
    I was told once that when speaking in public don't try to look at the crowd. Find a spot to look at at the back of the room above the heads of everyone.
    StudyProf Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 09:08 PM

Your problem is normal and very common, Gvb2jana. Psychologists call it performance anxiety, and there is good news! There are many fantastic resources to help you overcome it.

Here are some basic techniques...

1. Set small goals through each stage. For example, "All I need to do is get through the first slide," then "Okay, now get through the next slide." Break the big, scary seminar into small, bite-size chunks you can deal with.

2. Mentally rehearse before the seminar. Several times a day in the days leading up to the class, mentally imagine yourself giving the lecture and doing a fantastic job. See yourself succeeding in spite of various obstacles. This may sound simple, but it is extremely effective!

3. Speak encouragingly to yourself during the lecture. Often our thoughts get away from us in stressful situations and we panic. We stumble over a word and think, "Oh no! I'm blowing this. Everyone will think I'm an idiot. They're probably all laughing at me!" Instead, be an encouraging, uplifting coach for yourself. When you make that verbal mistake think, "It's okay! I can do this. A little mistake like that makes me human, and besides, they probably didn't even notice."

4. Control your stress level. Psychologists call this arousal control. You can prevent the panic before it gets out of hand, by taking simple physical steps. One great method is to carefully control your breathing. Slow breaths in; slow breaths out.

I've written about this in more detail here, though it is applied specifically to test anxiety. Did you know the U.S. Navy SEALs use the same techniques? The methods work, and I've often used them to combat my own performance anxiety.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regular contact, but no face to face [ 2 Answers ]

We dated a while, then he wanted to take a break from seeing each other, but maintained some contact (txt. Message, some calls), about four weeks ago, we began to date some again, and saw each other 3 times in 2 weeks, he makes some form of contact every day, but we haven't seen each other again...

Still fear him [ 2 Answers ]

When I was a child 8 to 13 I was getind raped by my aunts boyfriend.Now I fear everyman.even my husband. He took what meant the most to me. I'm scared to go out I'm scared to be alone. My mom never did put him in jail and I see him allmost everyday of my life and all I know to do is cry and I...

I have fear [ 5 Answers ]

Hi There,I Love One Sister From Our Church,but The Time I Want To Propose Her, Fear Comes Along And I Will Start Talking About Godly Things.when We Part I Will Be Frusrated And Blaming Myself.while Im Alone I Will Think On How To Say I Love You,but When We Meet Fear Comes Again.what And How Should...

Fear [ 16 Answers ]

1. What is fear? 2. What causes fear? 3. What are some physical signs of fear? 4. How do you get over fear? This can be just general scientific answers or personal answers. I need someone else's points of view. :confused:

Looking for some people on the run. Big times [ 3 Answers ]

This person has 3 little onces and is pulling scam left to right and was told if she is caught she ain't going to live to tell just rumors. They need to be stop and put away for good. She runs with another female and 2 males. All I got is a cellular phone with her voice on it. She did me and...

View more questions Search