Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    n8xwb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Circuit Breaker didn't Trip
    I have a 1 year old home. The bathroom outlet is a GFCI outlet on a circuit protected by a 15 amp ARC FAULT BREAKER. Today my wife plugged her hair blowdryer and the base of the cord lit up like an arc welder. This lasted for 5-8 seconds before the cord completely melted and the fireworks stopped. Apparently the cord was frayed and shorted out? Neither the GFCI or ARC FAULT BREAKER tripped!! Does this indicate that we have some kind of wiring problem?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 05:42 PM
    The GFCI should not have tripped. They don't trip on short circuits.

The AFCI, I believe, should have tripped on two conditions:

1) The AFCI condition of sparks
    2) The breaker should likely have tripped on overload.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 01:02 PM
    Maybe I have been doing this wrong but the arc faults are required by code for new construction bedrooms. They can be used in other circuits but are only designed to prevent a fire caused by arcing. Your arc fault should have tripped but did not for some reason so it needs replacing. You can buy a combination GFCI and ARCI breaker and protect the hole line from the panel.
    Sand Daddy Posts: 95, Reputation: 14

Feb 4, 2008, 01:15 PM
    A GFCI is a ground fault current interrupter, meaning if there is a short to ground it will pop. The breaker is designed to prevent too much current from being pulled on the line and to stop a hard hit, in this case it was probably on a 15amp breaker.

What happened to you is essentially a bad dryer. Typical new homes use #12 thhn supplied to the outlets. The amps being pulled by the dryer was enough to melt down the smaller gauge cord feeding the dryer but not enough to overload the breaker. The reason it took so long for the sparks is that the insulation on the cord had to melt away exposing the live line wire to the ground. Once this occurs, spark, bang pop!

The GFCI should have tripped at this point. Replace the dryer, double check the electrical.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Sand Daddy:

A typical hair dryer has no ground. Only a hot and neutral, thus there can be no short to ground. There could, however, be a leakage path through the body, but there is no way of knowing. That path only needs to be a few milliamps.
    Sand Daddy Posts: 95, Reputation: 14

Feb 4, 2008, 03:33 PM
    KeepItSimpleStupid, this is true. There is a neutral however which will yield the same results. Short to the Neutral or ground will cause the above scenario.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 08:41 AM
    Does the Test Button on any GFI or Arc Fault breakers trip the breaker?

This test is to be done once a month.

The AFCI breaker should have sensed the arcing occurring between the two wires of the cord.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 09:19 AM
    That was my read on the situation yesterday, the ARCI should have picked up the arcing in the dryer. The reason you should test your faults each month is obvious, they do break down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know about the basic Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker

Replacing Circuit Breaker with Higher AMP Breaker [ 8 Answers ]

Excuse me, I did look at the code book as is suggested in your Sticky. The NFPA may answer this question, but I am not knowledgeable enough to recognize it: Our offices are upstairs in an older (renovated home) building with modern wiring. We have 4 computers, 3 printers, and miscellaneous with...

Replacing a circuit breaker with a GFI breaker- q on neutrals [ 1 Answers ]

In process on installing withquestion on neutral wires. Do you take the neutrals out of the in the main panel neutral and put them in into the breaker where its labelled "load neutral terminal" and only have the neutral "pig tail" to the panel neutral bar? Thanks!

Circuit breaker failed to trip [ 2 Answers ]

I made a big error today on wiring a new circuit. I pulled 2 cables (for 2 circuits) back to the consumer panel and then connected the wrong cable. The cable that I connected was stripped at the other end but not yet connected to anything. When I went to inspect it, I tugged on it and there was one...

Breaker doesn't trip [ 3 Answers ]

There is a property that has a 30-amp breaker in the electrical distribution panel labeled for the AC unit. The outside HVAC unit had a maximum over-current protection rating of 25-amps. I'm looking to see how serious this is and also to understand why the breaker doesn't trip with that amp...

View more questions Search