Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Q1212 Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Feb 3, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Protein supplements
    Hey. I was wondering are there any protein supplements or anything in like pill form that will get me protein. I need at least 54 grams a day and I don't have enough time to make shakes and I travel a lot so I can't always bring it with me so does anyone know?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 03:20 PM
    You might want to check about amino acids. Also try typing protein pills and supplements in the search engine.
    I have no idea what brand or anything you would be interested in

Feb 5, 2008, 04:50 PM
    Well will amino acids help me build muscle? And how much protein is in them?
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 04:55 PM
    I have to get off here for now let me know if any of these sites help

Amino acid L tyrine is tryptophan which is chicken and dairy

amino acids to build muscle protein - Google Search

Let me know if these didn't help and I will look it up later.
    MassNutrition Posts: 75, Reputation: 5

Feb 7, 2008, 10:41 PM
    If you're looking to build muscle, 54g of protein a day isn't going to cut it. Your minimum protein intake should be 1g per pound of bodyweight. So, for example, if you weight 160 lbs, you should be consuming 160g of protein per day, spread over 5 or 6 meals (and/or snacks).

Amino acids are good ONLY because they contain all 3 essential amino acid building blocks, which include Isoleucine, Leucine, and Lysine. Unfortunately, they don't contain very many grams of protein per serving, and are VERY expensive (about 6 to 9g of protein per serving).

If you don't have time for shakes, pick up some protein bars at your local GNC, SND, or Popeye's, or any other hardcore nutrition store. Most high quality bars contain 25 to 30g of high quality protein and taste amazing. Don't buy the cheap stuff. Spend the money if you're serious about muscle building. Good luck.

Feb 9, 2008, 08:47 AM
    What are some good tasting protein bars? I can't remember which ones I've had before but they tasted nasty.
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 12:40 PM
    I agree that protein bars can taste pretty nasty

Here are some sites that have homemade ones
    They don't look all that appealing either BUT maybe after checking the ingredients
    You could combine some of the better sounding ingredients and come up with a recipe of your own.

Protein bar recipe thread - Bodybuilding.com Forums

FREE* Best Protein Bar Recipes -- Ever!

Homemade Protein Bar Recipis
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 06:58 PM
    I think whey protein is probably the best and safest, if you work out you need 1-2 grams of protein per pound of bopdy weight, it contains many amino acids that help rebuild muscles. the advantages are awesome, look into it.

Mar 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
    What is the most protein I can get in 100% WHEY protein powder? I have some but its only 23 grams and I weight 150 I don't have the time do drink it that much. That's 6 scoops a day. Does anyone know of any that has like 60 grams or something?

Mar 1, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Oh. And I have amino acids now. Should I take that with whey?
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 12:28 PM
    I don't know if you should take them together. I figured you wanted something for when you couldn't take the whey. I think together that may possibly be too much protein.

Mar 1, 2008, 09:41 PM
    So I shouldn't take the amino acids?
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 09:42 PM
    If you do take them separate from protein not at the same time.

Mar 1, 2008, 10:37 PM
    OK cool. Yea I'm getting some protein from my friend soon and I bought amino acids the other day. I got amino acid 3000 pills but it says there are only 3 grms of protein in it.
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 10:41 PM
    It is good for cellular energy and converting protein I am not sure exactly how it works, but it should be good for when you don't have your protein shakes.
    MassNutrition Posts: 75, Reputation: 5

Mar 7, 2008, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Q1212
    what is the most protein i can get in 100% WHEY protein powder? i have some but its only 23 grams and i weight 150 i dont have the time do drink it that much. thats 6 scoops a day. does anyone know of any that has like 60 grams or something?
    Whoa. Don't get your total protein intake JUST from whey powder... that's insane. And you will burn a hole in your pocket faster than you can drink a shake. Your powder that has 23g of protein per serving is average. I myself have only 2 shakes per day, with TWO different powders. I use the whey after a workout (because of it's quick absorption properties), and a slower digesting protein before bed (casein, egg, etc.)

You should be getting the rest of your protein from whole food sources... chicken, lean red meats, milk and milk products, whole eggs and egg whites, fish (tuna, salmon)

As for the amino acids... dump them. Your Amino 3000 pills only contain 3 grams of protein (hence the name "3000" for 3000mg). All your amino acids pills contain are all 3 essential amino acid building blocks, which include Isoleucine, Leucine, and Lysine. You get these essentials from your powder anyway. It's a waste to mix both. And 3 grams is nothing compared to the 23g (in total) you are getting from one scoop of your powder...
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2008, 05:17 PM
    He wants to know what he can take for protein when he is somewhere that he can't get something to drink or eat.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 06:01 PM
    I think Whey is the best form of protein you can take, it comes from milk and it is one of the fastest digesting proteins. Whey contains ingredients that are similar to mothers milk and is in many baby formulas. It also supplies your body with many essential amino acids. SO your getting the best of everything with one product. It helps repair and builds muscle after working out.
    Where as casein protein is slow digesting and rich in protein also but continues to feed your muscles long after whey protein has wore off.
    You need about 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day to build muscle.
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2008, 06:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Q1212
    oh. and i have amino acids now. should i take that with whey?
    The whey has many amino acids already in it, so why take both, not necessary, and WHey is natural and safe
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Can he buy whey in pill form or a nutrition bar or some other convenient form is what he wants to know I think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Protein haemoglobin and protein collagen [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me anything about protein haemoglobin and portein collagen or were I can find any information on the two

Calcium supplements [ 1 Answers ]

Lately, I've heard a Calcium commercial that states a Calcium supplement must contain phospherus in order for the Calcuim to be beneficial to one's body. According to my MD and, everything else I've ever read regarding this topic, only Vitamin D need be present for proper asorption. I would like...

What do you think about supplements [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for more then 6 months now. I know that it takes time and all that. But I was wondering if there were some safe supplements that I could be taking to increase my fertility. I already take a daily vitamin and iron supplement as well. Thanks!

Supplements [ 1 Answers ]

What are the adverse side effects of NO2 (arginine alpha ketoglutarate) ?

View more questions Search