Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sonjafish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Why is my tank green and cloudy?
    I have a new tank, 100 litres, set up Dec 26 added fish Jan 5, at first it was clear now it has become a cloudy whitish, the fish have now shown signs of ick so I am treating them (2 days now) have changed the water, about 20% everyday the last few days, as per instructions on the ick med. But now the tank is showing signs of green algae on the glass of the tank.
    I think I have overcrowded the tank a bit, I have 2 groumis, 2 platys, dojo, 3 snails, 1 kissing fish, 3 balck mollies, 10 neon tetras, and 9 guppies that are already having frys, I had 13 babies but 10 got eaten before I put the other babies in a breeding floater.
    I went and got the six in one test strips and the results are the following rating:
    Nitrate-20
    Nitrite -.5
    Hardness-150
    Clorine-0
    Alkalinity-80
    PH-7.2
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2008, 07:45 PM
    I can tell by your test results
    That your aquarium has not finished the cycling process.
    The white cloudy water is a beneficial bacterial bloom that will
    Clear up as soon as the bacteria have formed colonies.
    Continue to treat for ick and continue making the partial water changes.
    During this time it is also important not to clean the filters or change cartridges.
    This way the beneficial bacteria has a chance to form colonies.
    Some ick treatments will turn the water a blue or green color and stain
    Silicone and décor inside the tank.
    The algae poses no health risks to your fish, so don't worry about that right now.
    Let the tank finish cycling and get the fish well before
    Treating for the algae problem.
    You can reduce the amount of algae growth by leaving the aquarium lights off and/or moving it away from direct sunlight.

You are right about the overcrowding in the tank as well.

Please let me know how things work out.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cloudy fish tank [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a 28litre tank and have been running it for two days now with no fish in.I use the filter that came with the tank and have put nutrafin water conditioner and biological aquarium supplement.but when I got home today the water was cloudy . Is this normal and will it go away and when will...

New - Another Cloudy Tank! [ 28 Answers ]

Nitrate: at 40 ppm or slightly below Nitrite: 0 ppm Hardness: 120 ppm Alkalinity: 80 ppm PH: between 6.4 - 6.8 Ammonia: 0 ppm 29 Gallon tank, set it up around 5 months ago. Temperature right around 79 - 80 F

Cloudy Tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 46g tank that I had just set up two days ago. During that time, I added the recommended dose(46ml) of Cycle's bacterial supplement to "cycle" the tank. I also added the recommended amt of conditioning salt(9 tbs). The water in the tank does not contain chlorine or any chloramines. The...

Cloudy fish tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my fish tank 2 days ago I feed them very little in the morn. And very little at night... I use bottled water that they gave me at the store with the fish... yesterday morning the tank was cloudy I can't even see half of the fish only when they come to the front... what seemd to...

Fish tank cloudy [ 6 Answers ]

All the typical teats come back normal (ammonia, nitrite,nitrate) but the water stays cloudy no matter the water changed or not. The fish tank is a 72 bow front with 4 fish 2 Amazon tiger catfish both about 8 in. 1 armor catfish and 1 pleco. I know the tank is not over stocked or over feed. Any...

View more questions Search