Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerseypete Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 09:10 PM
    Bathroom in Attic
    Im thinking of adding a bathroom to my attic. I would like to know if I need to run new piping from the first floor, I believe this is all under concrete also. Or, can I hook up to the existing piping and vent pipe that is in the attic presently. Please respond ASAP... thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 17, 2006, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseypete
    Im thinking of adding a bathroom to my attic. I would like to know if I need to run new piping from the first floor, I belive this is all under concrete also. Or, can I hook up to the existing piping and vent pipe that is in the attic presently. Please respond ASAP....thank you.
    Hey Pete,
    Hoo boy! Have you ever got your work cut out for you. It's not going to be as simple as hooking the drainage up to the vent in your attic and letting "it all drain out".
    What you're proposing to do is convert your attic vent into a soil stack. That means it's not a vent any more and can't be used to vent any fixtures that are below it.
    This means that you will have to extend every vent off every fixture that has a trap up to the attic and connect them back into the pipe going out the roof at least 6" over the flood rim of the highest fixture in the attic. The only other way would be to run a 3" soil stack from the attic down to the sewer line under the cement and revent the atic group back into the existing roof vent.
    Still want to put that attic bathroom in? Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squirrel in the attic [ 10 Answers ]

There is a baby squirrel up in my folks attic. My mean daddy put poison up there and fortunatly the squirrel did not eat it but dumped the box out the attic window. I heard to use mothballs and vinegar but daddy won't use them for some reason. How do I get this baby out of the attic?

Attic plumbing [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Im looking for info on adding a complete bathroom to my attic, my question Is really about the drains, I want to ad a shower, tiolet, sink. There is a bathroom almost directly (about 3ft over ) below where I would like to put this. I was wondering if I can connect to the drains...

Attic venting of bathroom exhaust fan [ 4 Answers ]

Our bathroom has a ceiling light fixture whice I would like to replace with an exhaust fan. I understand the need to vent this out of the attic and to have the duct well insulated to avoid condensation. The problem is access to the outside. We have a roof with four sloping sides, no vertical ends....

Attic condensation [ 1 Answers ]

I have a feeling I know the answer to my query but I have to ask to be sure. My home is a quad level (tri-level with a full basement) when I was up in the attic over the weekend checking out insulation levels I noticed that on the underside of the north facing roof I had some condensation dripping...

Attic bathroom [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - we want to add a bathroom in our attic, right above existing bathrooms, but can't do 'the right thing' with running a new vent stack line to tie in fixtures below the existing units. My question is: If we put in this bathroom, which would be wet venting everything, what problems will it...

View more questions Search