Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jajgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 01:10 PM
    How long can I claim my kids on my taxes.
    I live in Georgia and was wondering how ling can I claim my kids on my taxes. Any help would be appreciated.. My sister lives in New York and told me that she can only claim her kids until they are 17. I am hoping that isn't true here in my state.
    :)
    deeva28 Posts: 23, Reputation: 9

Feb 3, 2008, 01:15 PM
    For federal taxes, it is not an issue of where you live so maybe your sister has her information twisted some where. You can always check the IRS site (Internal Revenue Service) for more information. You can claim children up to age 24 if they are full time students AND you provide more than half of their support finacially. You can only claim them until the year they turn 18 if they are not full time students. Hopefully, this helps you some.
    my little jazz man Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 01:15 PM
    I don't know about ga but I do know that the IRS allows you to claim your kids up until they are 24 as long as they are in school.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 12:35 PM
    True. You can also claim your kids INDEFINITELY if you provide more than half of theIr support AND their total gross income does not exceed $3,400.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my absentee kids on my tax returns? [ 3 Answers ]

My3 kids (15, 12 &7)live with my ex in Africa. Although they have never been in America before, a sizeable part of my income is remitted to them for their upkeep. Can I claim them when I file my taxes?

Can I claim my sister kid 4 kids on tax return? If the lived withme? [ 1 Answers ]

If I have been supporting my sister's 4 kids for 12 months. Can I claim them as tax exemptions?

How long can a new homeowner claim. [ 1 Answers ]

Just curious what the Statue of Limitations are for Real Estate in the state of Minnesota. I sold my home 3 years ago, and now the new owner is wanting to take me to court on some faulty wiring. They refused an inspection. The wiring worked fine for the first 3 years. I thought that after 1...

Do I have to claim 401K on my taxes? [ 4 Answers ]

I started my 401K plan in Oct of 2005. Do you have to claim 401K information on your taxes? When I called Schwabb the other day to increase my contributions a recording noted that the 2006 tax forms would be mailed out on Jan 31st. I'm just confused because I didn't get anything in the mail in...

View more questions Search