Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ravenwillow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 08:16 PM
    WinLogon Memory Bloat
    Last night I looked at my taskmaster, only t'realize that my Winlogon.exe is taking up *256M* of my memory.. more than half my systems memory.

This morning, I reboot, and check.. Its back to under a meg of memory.. Now.. 12 hours later, its back up to 128M of Memory being used.

Anyone have any idea what's goin' on here and how to stop it?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2006, 05:17 AM
    Which version of Windows are you running?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2006, 05:21 AM
    The original Winlogon.exe from Microsoft gets placed in the C:\WINDOWS\System32\ directory. If you find it anywhere else then you should be suspicious for sure. Quite a few viruses hide under that name:
    http://search.symantec.com/custom/up...=1&context=gbh
    Ravenwillow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 06:58 PM
    I've run full system scans with both Spyware Doctor and AVG's Free Virus Hunter, both with the most recent editions.

The only existing copy of Winlogon on my system is in my System32 folder...

Next suggestion?

(Thank you for the System32 bit, hadn't checked that)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Winlogon at 90% [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Win2K domain controller and the WinLOGON.exe is at 90% all the time. There are no viruses on the PC, I have the virus SW up to date and it has found nothing. The PC had the same problem in DEC, then it was fixed, but I forgot what fixed it :-( and now it has started again. Any...

Winlogon.exe [ 9 Answers ]

Hey I really need help my damn comp sux... ok it goes so slow b-coz winlogon is using its cpu... I heard it mayb virus how do I fix the damn problem... Someone please help me!! I did a search for winlogon and found 2 files with same name in different places though... could one of these be the...

Pny memory [ 5 Answers ]

Has any one had any experience with PNY memory? I saw Tiger Direct had some on sale for a good price. The reviews aren't so good. Many incompatible problems. I have a emachines t3882. There website said it could take 400mhz pc3200 512mb ddr memory. I haven't looked inside my machine yet to see what...

Memory [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference bet. Physical memory and virtual memory. I have a total physical memory of 256MB and available is 29.70 MB while virtual is 2.00GB and available 1.96MB. Does this mean that I do not have enough space that's why I'm having slow startup?

Not enough memory [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, sometimes when I attempt to connect to a web site, doesn't matter which one, I get a message that says not enough memory to run this program close one or more programs. If I do C/A/D to see what is running, the normal stuff is there and then Webshots, webshots all the way down the little...

View more questions Search