Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaitou Posts: 190, Reputation: 43

Feb 3, 2008, 12:21 PM
    When was the last time you donated?
    So today as a volunteer canvasser, I basically had to knock on all my neighbours door and ask for donation for a charity that helps people with physical disabilities. The result was brutal, sad, and discouraging. In sum, I basically had people slamming doors at my face, as if I'm trying to steal money from them or something.

I didn't get any donation from my assigned route, so I'll be handing back an empty envelop. (except for the $50 that I donated myself >_>).

So when was the last time you donated to a person that knocks on your door?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 12:24 PM
    No one knocks on my door, but if I hear about a geniune charity that I personally believe in and I do have money at the time. Then I would donate.

At the same time I am at a belief that when we donate money we should not broadcast it. It is a religious belief that when you donate you do it quietly and not broadcast it to try to make yourself look better then others. How do you know these people do not donate their time or money else where??

Feb 3, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Well what frustrating is that some (actually a lot) people don't even listen to what you have to say. And then another is that the husband listened to what I said, and he was about to donate, then his wife walks by and is like "NO!"
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 12:26 PM
    That is not your problem. That is their problem. If it is so frustrating maybe you should give it a break, or approach things differently??

P.s. I changed my original post a bit just because I wanted to add some things.

Feb 3, 2008, 12:30 PM
    Well, I'm done with my route already :). I'm just glad it's over, but wanted some place to rant!

Thanks for listening, and good for you for donating!
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 12:46 PM
    This is a good place to rant. Glad your route is over. Just remember never to give up on something you believe in. Continue on and your believe in this cause that is strong for you. Knock on those doors again. Good luck to you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 04:06 PM
    I have never given to anyone that knocked on my door, ** we do give some food to homeless that come by from time to time.

I give sometimes to some known charities at the street cornes collecting.

But normally I only give to reconised charities.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 11:18 AM
    I consider myself a significant contributor to both religious and secular charitable causes, but I would not give to someone knocking on my door, or calling me on the phone for that matter, unless it was for a group that I already know and have contributed to in the past. I think it's best to concentrate one's donations to a few (8 or so ) organizations that I believe in, and then give them each a substantial amount, as opposed to giving a small amount to a large number of different charities. This way I can stay informed as to what each group is doing, and I know I am putting my charitable dollars into causes that are of significant interest to me. It also cuts down on the number of harassing solicitations you get - many organizations make it a habit to hound past givers, so I think its best to avoid giving anything unless I am willing to stay involved for the long term.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 11:24 AM
    I never EVER give money to someone knocking at my door.

I donate to the local women's shelter, and to the local humane society---because a lot of what I can donate is STUFF, not money. For instance, if a store is having an exceptional deal on pet food, I buy it and drop it off at the humane society. If the store is having a buy-one-get-one-free sale, same thing, only to the women's shelter. I'm usually buying something I need anyway, and getting one extra for free, even! And a lot of times it is things I need anyway (shampoo, razor blades, hamburger helper, whatever).

I have no idea what someone knocking at my door is going to do with that money--so I give directly to the charities I care about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000. 2nd time. But 1st time since 18th [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, So basically the story goes like this: In April of 2006, I was arrested for theft under $5000 for car prowling in a neighborhood and some alleyways. I was 17 at the time. We got caught with $1500 worth of golf clubs in the back of my dads car. Needless to say, my dad was pissed....

Dark brown lines going across my screen from time to time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with my computer monitor, I have these brown horizontal lines that go across my screen sometimes (REALLY ANNOYING). I just replaced the video card so its not that, also if I hit the side of the monitor the lines go away:p Just wondering if there's anything I can do that can fix it!...

Will husband just get time served or added time to probation [ 11 Answers ]

My husband's not being extradicted on probation violation. But will they add more time to his probation, or get time served or more jail time for new misdemeanor charges of canabis and pharapharnalia? So lost any info or some similar experience would be helpful thanks can't sleep until I know until...

12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Smokes fom Time to Time [ 9 Answers ]

This engine apprears to start and run fine. However, from time to time it will smoke like a freight train then clear up and be find. This may occur several times in a two hour period. Any sujections on what may be the cause? Thanks for your Help!

View more questions Search