Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rey46 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Wife's dependent
    I don't have a job for 2 years (long story) and my wife pays everything.
    My wife file me as a dependent. Can somebody tell me the good and bad about it, please?

Rey
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 01:46 PM
    You and your wife file maried jointly. You do not have to have any income to do this. This way you get the most deductions legally allowable.
    rey46 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 06:11 AM
    Thank you very much, Twinkiedooter
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Actually, your wife CAN claim your exemption if she files separately.

But filing jointly DOUBLES her $5,350 standard deduction to $10,700, so I cannot think of any reason WHY you should NOT file jointly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When will I get over my wife's affair? [ 15 Answers ]

In Brief: I have been married 7 yrs. My wife and I are late 30's. I thought things were good in the relationship with my wife. My wife had enough of my controlling and "take over" way that I handled the relationship. So, she started going out with some single friends in Feb 2007. First weeknights.....

Adopting your wife's son [ 1 Answers ]

How do you go about adopting your spouse child if the birth father won't sign over rights. The birth father does pay some child support and only comes around when he has to. He gets drunk daily and smokes pot. But when tested he comes out clean. When the baby is with him it's a hassle to him. The...

How do I get my wife's name off the house deed [ 8 Answers ]

Hi : I would like some help pleas . How do I get my wife's name off the house deed . Thank you

Late wife's name [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has been widowed for 6yrs and we recently married. We live in the same home he shared with his late wife. Her name is still on the Deed of the home. He does not see the need to change it since his Will covers all the recent changes with my name added. I was wondering if the fact that her...

Ex wife's laptop [ 13 Answers ]

My Ex Wife Has Put A Password On Her Lap Top. I Caught Her Having Affaie See Other Posts But The Evidence I Need Is On Her Lap Top. I Have Some Questions Please Help When I Turn It On It Has Password. Can I By Pass It As I Do Not Know The Password? Can I Send Her Via E Mail A Keystroke...

View more questions Search