Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pqnoppie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Tax for F-1 visa on OPT with tax treaty, resident alien for tax purpose
    HI--I have multiple "identities" with regard to tax:
    1. I'm an F-1 visa holder
    2. I'm on OPT from Sept.2007-Aug.2008
    3. I have benefits of tax treaty, under which I can be exempted from federal taxes up to $5000 a year for wages, and unlimited amount for fellowship
    4. I'm a resident alien for tax purpose due to the fact I've been in the US for more than 5 years

In year 2007, I received fellowship as well as wages from three different institutions in 3 different states. My wages did exceed $5000. So, how much, how and when should I pay for my federal taxes?

Many thanks!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Normally the F1 visa is exempt from residency for 5 years. After five years, you will file as resident if you meet the SPT of 183 days. As a resident, if you are Single, you get standard deduction of $5,350 and exemption of $3,400.

To tell you if the above is true is your case or not, we need to know when you entered the U.S. of F1 and your citizenship and are you single or married.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Agreed. More informaton is needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the exemption under international agreements between USA and my country Italy. Briefely, I describe my situation. I am an Italian citizien. On the 3rd of September 2002...

Resident Alien claim China-US tax treaty benefits? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of People's Republic of China and currently studying in the states as a F1 student. This is my sixth year in the states. I just recently married to an American citizen. We filed my green card application in early June, 2007. We are expecting to adjust my status to permanent...

How double tax treaty for Non Resident Alien working in US? [ 6 Answers ]

OK.. Here is the deal : I moved to US on a L1 visa from India to US in Dec 2007. I am planning to stay here for more than 6 months(180 days). As per the Indian Laws, I have to file the tax returns for the financial year 2007-08 ending in March 2008. In the current financial year I earned Indian...

Tax treaty and education credits for F-1 filing as resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student from India - I came to US in 2001 and since I've been here for more than 5 years (and I pass the SPT), it seems I will have to file my taxes as a resident alien (RA) this year. Usually I copy paste my tax forms (1040NR-EZ, 8843) from previous years but I just found out about...

Tax treaty for resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - hopefully all I'll need is a 'yes!' answer for this :) I'm a UK citizen, who passes the SPT (worked in US from 10/04 through 07/06 on H1B). I'd like to claim my federal tax back using the UK-US treaty. So I file a 1040EZ and claim the treaty on that, send a W-9 to my employer, and don't...

View more questions Search