Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Jan 16, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Video on monitor real small
    Wasn't real sure where to post this

My wife has a Pavilion Notebook with a big 17" screen. But the large screen doesn't do much good because everything is real small. Every window I open, whether it's a browser or some other prgramthe text is itty bitty, the window part with the -, X, etc... is real small. Any idea how to change this?

I have Windows XP Home
    1GB ram
    P4 3GHZ

Thanks
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2006, 12:46 PM
    I've seen this before and it often has to do with currupted drivers for the video card. Before you do anyhting else, get the correct drivers for your card, try HP's site first for your computer model:
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/...isplay=drivers

Once you have them downloaded, uninstall the current drivers and reboot. On reboot the screen will appear 'blocky' and that's normal. Install the correct drivers and reboot.

Let me know how that works.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by klmgb
    Wasn't real sure where to post this

My wife has a Pavilion Notebook with a big 17" screen. But the large screen doesn't do much good because everything is real small. every window I open, wether its a browser or some other prgramthe text is itty bitty, the window part with the -, X, etc... is real small. Any idea how to change this?

I have Windows XP Home
    1GB ram
    P4 3GHZ

Thanks
    It could be as simple as using a very high resolution. Right click on a blank area of the desktop and select Properties. Go to the settings tab and play with the Screen resolution slider to see if that makes a difference.

Jan 16, 2006, 06:41 PM
    I don't know what I did, but I isn't touching this any more. Changed the resolution to 600x800 and rebooted the computer. After it booted I got nothing but a plain blue screen, no desktop, no navigation bar, nothing. Rebooted in safe mode and tried to change it back to what it was, wouldn't do it. Every time I rebooted got just the blue screen. Finally rebooted in safe mode and used restore point to yesterday.

Any idea what may have happened?

Jan 17, 2006, 06:33 AM
    I don't know what I did, but I aint touching this any more. Changed the resolution to 600x800 and rebooted the computer. After it booted I got nothing but a plain blue screen, no desktop, no navigation bar, nothing. Rebooted in safe mode and tried to change it back to what it was, wouldn't do it. Every time I rebooted got just the blue screen. Finally rebooted in safe mode and used restore point to yesterday.

Any idea what may have happened?
    could be the video adapter didn't support 600x800, which is preety low for a 17" monitor. What was it when you first went in there?

Jan 17, 2006, 06:42 PM
    1920x1080, 'nother question, when I am in display properties/settings and I move the resolution slider back and forth, the "preview??" has 2 squares in it, a #1 and a #2 square, what does the #2 represent. I ASSUME the #1 represents the screen size. But I don't know.

thanks
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2006, 06:56 PM
    Your drivers have the computer set up as having dual monitors. Look through your display properties settings to turn that feature off.

Jan 18, 2006, 06:55 AM
    1920x1080, 'nother question, when I am in display properties/settings and I move the resolution slider back and forth, the "preview??" has 2 squares in it, a #1 and a #2 square, what does the #2 represent. I ASSUME the #1 represents the screen size. But I don't know.

thanks
    1920x1080? No wonder everything was small. Try reducing it one notch at a time.

As for the #2 screen it usually is 2 moinitors, escpecially on a laptop which has an external monitor jack.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real Ghost video! [ 8 Answers ]

You have got to check this out!! Go to www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=3008 This will scare you FO SHO!! :eek:

Small video editor but... [ 2 Answers ]

... with good collection of transition effects. Can anyone suggest something? Thank you!

Video Adapter and Monitor Drivers [ 1 Answers ]

My computer crashed and had to start over. My monitor use to allow me to run Real One Player videos. However now I cannot get the High (16) color. I have gone to the manufacturer site and downloaded the driver for my monitor. I don't know what is wrong or how to fix. I have also...

Having monitor or video driver problems [ 1 Answers ]

I recently accquired a used computer from my dad. It is a Dell computer, and I am using my old Gateway VX700 monitor. My problem is that once I formatted the hard drive and started reinstalling the drivers my display has not been good at all. It's really hard to explain what it looks like, but...

Monitor? Or video card? One's bad [ 2 Answers ]

Just recently I started to noticed what looked like my monitor starting to go. I began to notice that any dark lines on my screen were starting to 'smear' across the screen horizontally. So I thought it was my monitor as it was a few years old. So today I received my new one. The problem still...

View more questions Search