Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duffman1483 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Live in NJ and worked in philly?
    I live in South Jersey and work in philadelphia at the refinery. I paid into city wage which was the only city/state tax that I paid for the year. I received 2 w-2's one with city wage info on and one for state filing. The state wage in box 16 was less than what the local wages were in box 18 of the city wage tax w-2. So to sum that up easier is that I paid city wage tax while it says my local wages was higher (which I don't understand why) and paid no NJ state taxes on the lesser amount of my state w-2. Does this mean that the city off-sets my NJ state taxes and have to file something with philadelphia or what, this is my first year doing this and I have always done my taxes and my family's and this appears to be a hang up for me. Any help is very appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Ken
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 07:38 PM
    The wages may be different due to offsets imposed by the city and certain income is considered taxable by the city which is not by the state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lived and worked in NY, lived in NJ worked in NY in 2007 [ 6 Answers ]

I know I should probably get an accountant for my takes this year, but I figured I would ask. For the first part of the year I lived and worked in NYC until August when I had an apartment in both NYC and NJ :( . Then for the rest of the year I lived in NJ and worked in NYC. I also started paying on...

Worked full year in CT , but live in MA [ 1 Answers ]

I know that I have to file state returns for both. My question is CT took out $1,950 in state taxes, and MA only took out $193. Do I have to pay Ma income tax even if I worked in CT for the full year? Thank you for any help you can give me on this.

Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny [ 1 Answers ]

Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:

Live in ny;worked in nj. [ 3 Answers ]

Good Morning! I desperately need advice right now. Any insight that you can give would be greatly appreciated. In 2004, I lived the full year in NYC. I worked in NYC through 4/04, but began working in NJ at another company for the remainder of the year. Wages were about $17,000 for NYC...

View more questions Search