Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nnicknack Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 09:45 AM
    Student loan took my tax refund
    My taxes were taken by my student loan company a couple of years ago. I didn't claim any taxes last year. What are the chances that they will take anything this year? The full amount of the loan was about $8,000. The tax amount taken was about $3500. I would only be claiming one child and not getting a lot back.
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2008, 09:48 AM
    You need to file regardless if you get anything back or not. There could be some stiff tax penalties if you don't. The trouble with those loans is that the amount can grow quickly from all sorts of added charges when not repaid.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Has the loan been declared a default? If so, then any tax refund that may be coming your way is subject to being intercepted to satisfy any government debt, such as a student loan. Obviously the system has caught up with you since they did it once already. That said, if the balance isn't satisfied they'll most likely do it again. But it isn't wise to not file a tax return if you're required to do so simply to prevent the intercept of your refund. You could find yourself facing charges of tax evasion.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 05:00 AM
    You must file all your tax returns if you meet the filing requirement.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Agreed. File the taxes even if the refund goes towards the loan.

You MAY get the state refund, but I would not count on it.
    PrincessLindy Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2008, 02:01 PM
    I had the same problems for a few years. They took my federal refund but not the state. As it was a federally funded loan. And unless you are making paments on the loan yes they will take it from you. I finally started making payments on mine and then they turned it over to Chase student loans and now I pay regularly and the payments are not a gigantic amount and I am now eligible for the refund.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Noted!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

State tax return garnished d/t "student loan" [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings, My state tax return ($289) was garnished I found out today due to some kind of outstanding student loan. I am told that it may be me or my wife but the state tax office will not say who it is exactly and will not tell me what "agency" has garnished the return. I am told to call the...

How to file a claim for a medicare and social security refund for an f1 student [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering how to file a refund for a f1 student for medicare and social security. I keep on finding plenty of info for how the f1 students to file, but how does the employer do it? Thanks

How does the US/India tax treaty affect the state tax refund? [ 3 Answers ]

The people who make International Student Taxes have put a special resource page for Indians. International Student Taxes | Resources | Students from India I am stuck on a point in this page. To quote: "2. If you took the standard deduction last year, do not put anything on Line 4 of...

View more questions Search