Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wsgoods Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Single 20amp circuit turns off 10 min turns back on
    I have a problem with a single 20Amp circuit, there are two small rooms with receptacles and lights attached to this circuit. (Home built in 1976). The power goes out completely and the 20Amp breaker does not trip or get hot, there is not any power across the breaker and then approximately 10min later the power comes back on. What I have tried so far:

1. Moved breaker and exchanged with working circuits.
    2. Exchanged with two new breakers
    3. Disconnected everything from outlets.
    4. Changed out all outlets, making sure the connections where tight.
    5. Checked wiring connections to lights.
    6. Changed out switches.
    7. Checked all switch connections to make sure they are tight.
    8. With breaker disconnected I used a probe to check continuity of wiring.
    9. Problem still occurs intermittently and is driving me crazy.
    10. As a note: If I toggle the breaker the power will not come back on, but, if I remove the breaker completely and reinsert it, the power will come back on immediately.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Sounds like you checked every connection, splice, and terminal in the circuit. There is always a chance, slim, but does happen, that there is a break in a wire inside the cable.

When you say you reset the breaker and no power, but R&R breaker restores power, are you testing the breaker output terminal each time, with a voltage tester?

To check each section of cable you will need a voltage tester, or a continuity tester. Even thou you may know, I will say it anyway, the circuit must be completely dead before using a continuity tester.

The break in the wire can surface when the circuit is used, heat will be created at the break, and the break can open the circuit. Or vibration can cause the break to open the circuit.

I hope I gave you some new items to check to find this problem.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Have you checked the nuetral connection in the pannel?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compressor turns off and doesn't turn back on [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I've been having a problem for a few days. I have a split-ac system only 2-3 years old. I usually leave the system on auto and cool. Lately, the compressor unit works for some time, then turns off but never comes back on again. However, the blower keeps running. I have replaced the furnace air...

98 accord EX shuts off then turns back on while driving. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 98 Accord which has been shutting off and then turning back on while driving all by itself. I mainly notice the problem because I usually drive with the radio on and then all the gauges go down to the rest position, the radio shuts off, all of this only for about a second or less, then...

Light turns on & Fan turns off automatically when a remot is installed [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a Hunter remote separately and installed to my ceiling fan. Everything works good except the following problem. I turn on the fan & turn off the light before I go to sleep and in the middle of night the light goes on and fan turns off. This happens a few times until morning when I turn...

Lighting turns on only at circuit breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I added lights in the basement in order to add canned lighting for the hung ceiling. So, I added 4 new lights, using the existing junction boxes. I attached white to white, black to black etc. The problem is that the switch does not work. The lighting turns on and off only at the breaker! What have...

20amp QUAD double pole versus 2 20AMP tandem single pole [ 2 Answers ]

I have 5 zones of baseboard heat, 3 of which were disabled due to the addition of a heat pump. The circuit panel is full and would like to restore the operation of the 3 zones of base boardheat. I was planning on removing 3 double pole 20amp 240 volt circuits and installing 3 QUAD 20 amp double...

View more questions Search