Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kavanaugh koch Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 08:31 AM
    Sanded vs Unsanded caulk?
    I am grouting a new ceramic tiled counter top and can only find "unsanded" caulk in the same color as the grout? What can I do to make the caulk look "sanded"? Thanks,

Kavanaugh
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 16, 2006, 10:22 AM
    Never seen sanded caulk. Believe there is no such thing. If your only caulking where the counter meets the walls, if you have a nice thin bead of caulk it will look fine. You could also seal that joint w/ clear caulk.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Jan 18, 2006, 06:09 AM
    Actually there is a sanded caulk. But, I found it to be annoying to work with.

Just use the regular caulk as Skiberger suggests. Sanded caulk requires that the nozzle be cut bigger to allow the thicker caulk to come out.

Where joints require caulking, I try and use the thinnest cut needed and then PUSH the tip into the joint vs. drawing the gun backwards. This will force the caulk into the joint instead of having it just be on the surface.

If it is, here is a link to order some over the internet:

http://www.installersstore.com/cgi-bin/INSstore.pl

Good luck, Dan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing new shower with no-caulk drain... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Experts: I'm new to the forum, and I'm not a plumber - but I'm doing my second DIY bathroom remodel and I have just a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with... I'm replacing a leaky 36x36 shower pan in our master bath. I selected a larger Swanstone solid surface pan,...

Exterior - caulk instead of mortar? [ 1 Answers ]

In some modern commercial construction, I've seen something that looks like caulk instead of mortar at some large joints. I need to replace the mortar on my front porch bluestone steps and was interested in trying this instead of traditional mortar. Does anyone know what this material is?

Caulk or Grout in Glass Enclosed Shower Stall [ 9 Answers ]

I live in an apartment building (I own the apartment I live in). We remodeled the bathroom when we moved in three years ago, and put in a glass enclosed shower stall where a tub once lived. The shower stall has large ceramic tiles on the floor, and smaller differently-styled ceramic tiles...

Caulk vs. Grout [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm a newbie here and need to know something -- Are CAULK and GROUT the same thing?? If not, what is the difference? Thanks!

Teflon tape or caulk/sealant? [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing the broken top section of a threaded Jones Stephens shower drain. The old section had plumbers putty used as a thread sealant on the PVC threads. The putty manufacturer says not to use it on plastic. Should I use teflon tape or a caulk/sealant (DAP KwidSeal for showers)?

View more questions Search