Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fustrated Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Feb 2, 2008, 04:23 AM
    Tax social security benefits gross income
    My question is I am single taxpayer, and I received $6,000 in Social Security benefits. My adjusted gross income for the year was $18,000 not including my social security benefits and I also received $30,000 in tax-exempt interest income what is the amount of Social Security benefits to include in my gross income.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 06:49 AM
    This is from IRS publication:
    "To determine whether any of your benefits are taxable, compare the base amount for your filing status with the total of one half of your social security payments plus all your income from other sources, including tax exempt interest."

And your income exceeds the base amount so up to 85% of the benefits may be taxable. It is reported on line 20 of form 1040. You will use Social security Benefits worksheet.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Agreed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social security benefits [ 8 Answers ]

Can a credit card company put a freeze on my checking account in which my social security disability check is deposited in?

Social security benefits [ 6 Answers ]

My husband received a :p fully favoriable decision on SSDI not ssi. He has worked since he was 17 years old. Anyway he is disabled and ssa award his disability to him July 27, 2006 and it is know October 19, 2006 and he has not received nothing from them. He is suppose to receive 4 years of...

US Income Tax / Social Security [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, We are French, I have a L1 Visa and my wife a L2 Visa. We arrived to United States on November, 08, 2006 and I must file a tax return because of my income between the 11/08/2006 and 12/31/2006. For information my wife didn't work and doesn't have SSN. I went to the IRS web...

Social security benefits [ 2 Answers ]

I turn 63 next April, but expect to continue working until I am 65 in April of 2010 (I expect because of the laws I will have to actually work until the end of 2010. I am toying with the idea of filing for my social security benefits when I turn 63, and then just putting the money away. I have a...

Income Tax on Social Security & Interest Income [ 1 Answers ]

I collect SS, withdraw interest income monthly and sell real estate. I am wondering since my interest income & real estate commissions exceed the SS allowable income cap of $12,000 will my SS for the next year be reduced? Will my real estate expenses be deductible from taxes owed on my...

View more questions Search