Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 5, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl003
    I just dont think it is right for you to call anyone you dont know a lier, you dont know her, her lifestyle only the fact that she got pregnant with a person who is not into raising is own children. If you had a question that needed answering, you wouldn't want anyone saying, well starting with a lie dosn't help.....
    Did you bother to read what I posted? Please don't make comments that show you don't read!

Another poster, not the OP advised the OP to tell the father she got an abortion. That was advocating lying. That was what I objected to. If you would take the time to pay attention to what's been said you wouldn't have come off looking foolish.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 10:08 AM
    Lacey, I thought Scott explained who the comment was directed at, and why, so I can't understand why your ignoring his explanation at all. We on this forum cannot condone that kind of advice, that is illegal, untrue, or dangerous, so what's the problem??
    laceygirl003 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Talanium, I was saying kudos to you!! Iam stating that he can't judge whether this woman is lying when he does not know her... however his answer is his opinion, I was simply stating mine as well!!

Feb 5, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl003
    Talanium, I was saying kudos to you!!!!! Iam stating that he can't judge whether or not this woman is lying when he does not know her....however his answer is his opinion, I was simply stating mine as well!!!!
    Do you have a problem with reading comprehension? How many times do I have to tell you that I was not saying anyone was lying?

Can't you understand that if someone answers a question advising the asker to tell someone they got an abortion when they didn't, that they are advising the asker to lie? Why is that so hard for you to understand?? There is no opinion involved here. Ledee straight out told the OP to tell the father she had an abortion. That is a matter of fact.

That is what I objected to. Talanium had no problem understanding what I was saying, but that's because Tal READS what was actually said rather then making assumptions and ignoring what people are saying. I don't understand why you keep trying to defend a position where you are clearly wrong. I can understand your misunderstanding my initial post, since I didn't quote the answer I was responding to. Since it was the next post I didn't think I had to. But after I explained it the first time, you should have backed off. Yet you continue to accuse me of calling someone a liar when I clearly did not.
    wewed100606 Posts: 228, Reputation: 36

Feb 5, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Well, I am going to be a little more Utopian and hopefull about this thing.

First of all, everyone is right about custody. However, I would suggest you doing the right thing and establishing him as a parent. This will give YOUR CHILD rights to child support. Child support is for the child not you and you shouldn't take that away from them out of greed for your own happiness. Put it all away for college or anything else that might arise down the road.

Once you do this, he will have a right to challenge custody, or more than likely visitation. If he would like to be part of his child's life, I would let him. At the same time you need to protect your child. If he decides he wants to have visitation ask that do to his behavior and problems in the past you would like it to be SUPERVISED VISITATION. This will allow him to bond with the child under the supervision of a qualified individual.

Even if a father isn't the greates person in the world right now, doesn't mean that that bond between parent and child doesn't have meaning. Besides, who is to say the man will not hit a wall a year from now and change his life around? You need to give him and more importantly YOUR CHILD the opportunity to meet each other.

Maybe the man will never change, but if he does and it is years down the road, it will be one million times harder to establish that bond with his child he missed out on because you judged him.

Do what is right for your baby, not you. Give the man the opportunity to man up and change his life. If he doesn't, what are you out? Nothing! You can rest easy at night knowing that you did the right thing and tried to let him have a relationship with his child, it didn't work, but you tried. Then you have nothing to explain to your child when he or she is 16 and asks about daddy. You can tell the truth without any judgement being passed because you were the bigger person and you tried.

I hope you try to make your child's life as good as it can be, and the more people in a child's life that love him/her the better. Whether they are mentally retarded, alcoholics, convicted felons, degenerate gamblers, etc. You don't have to be perfect to be a parent. No parent is, that is why we can be parents and let our children learn from our life experience.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 10:30 PM
    Judgemental they are, but helpful too. LEE DEE had some interesting advise. She sounds as if she's been there.

Feb 6, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    Judgemental they are, but helpful too. LEE DEE had some interesting advise. She sounds as if she's been there.
    I won't disagree, but advising the OP to lie about getting an abortion was NOT sound advise In my opinion

As an aside, I suspect lacey may be a troll. This is the only thread she posted in.
    wewed100606 Posts: 228, Reputation: 36

Feb 6, 2008, 07:14 AM
    What is a "troll" Scott? Just wondering if it is a slang term used here for something, or just your choice of words?

Feb 6, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Leedee Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

Feb 6, 2008, 07:50 PM
    WOW didn't realise this would cause such a stir - all I did was give my advice - agree with me or not.

All I did was advise what I would do in that situation beacsue I have been there!!

Isn't this site for advice ScottGem?? We aren't all experts but we all have had life experiences!

Calm down
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Leedee
    WOW didnt realise this would cause such a stir - all i did was give my advice - agree with me or not.

All i did was advise what i would do in that situation beacsue i have been there!!!!!

Isnt this site for advice ScottGem????? We arent all experts but we all have had life experiences!

Calm down
    Just want to point out that nobody expects professional advice, but deceit, lies, and illegal advice, is not welcome, and that's the point, so don't jump on those who are at least trying to keep the standard high for ALL of us.

Feb 7, 2008, 07:00 AM
    WOW didnt realise this would cause such a stir - all i did was give my advice - agree with me or not.

Isnt this site for advice ScottGem????? We arent all experts but we all have had life experiences!
    First, I am calm. Second, yes this site is for advice, but the regulars here take pride in the quality of the advice given. Finally, what I did was simply disagree with your advice as you point out I can. The main problem here was not your advice (though, In my opinion it was a problem), but in lacey's misinterpretation of my response and subsequent refusal to accept the facts.
    shellychivell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anabanana0713
    Hi,

I'm having some trouble. This is my first pregnancy and my boyfriend and I just broke up. He hasn't had a job since I've known or have been dating him. He is an alcoholic, lives off unemployment, doesn't look for a job or anything. Plus, he already has a daughter that he can't even support right now. We got into a really bad argument on the phone last night and he said he wanted me to have an abortion even though I'm not going to. He said he didn't even want the baby, but if I kept it, he would want to be a part of his/her life. I want to try to get full custody of my child when that day comes, but I wonder if they would allow it. I've seen how he doesn't even watch over his own daughter, and well, and I hate to see what he would do with our child. I'm a very responsible person, who as my stuff together, has a fantastic job, new car, new house, good financial stability. I'm just wondering if the courts would rule in favor for me if I needed to go court? Or is there another plan that I should take in this situation? Please help.....:(
    I'm going through the same situation. Do what you think is right for you and the baby. Look into some legal advice.
    Leedee Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

Feb 7, 2008, 05:37 PM
    Well everyone is entitled to an opinion - while lies and deceit is not usually the best way to go about it.

In this case it is! IN MY OPINION!

Feb 8, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Well everyone is entitled to an opinion - while lies and deceit is not usually the best way to go about it.

In this case it is! IN MY OPINION!
    And it is my opinion that its not. It could come back to haunt if the father ever finds out the truth. And how are you going to explain it to the child when he gets old enough.
    plaidlady Posts: 17, Reputation: 6

Feb 20, 2008, 09:07 PM
    well I have been told if he is not on the birth certificate, and you do not want child support then its not very easy for him to try to take you to court to get to see her. If he does he will have to pay child support and they will make him get a job.. but also he will have to pay the 600.00 for the paternity test and being he is on unemployment he may as well not bother.. I went with my baby's father when he was trying and get custody to get child support and they are not very nice to men here. But it sounds like your man is as rotten as mine was. At least he didn't accuse u of being with someone else or being pregnant with another man's child. Some men just do not grow up girl and I am sorry but if he is not trying to get a job now to take care of his responsibilities I don't think he ever will. Some men change when they see the baby but advice people have given me is just to find someone else and leave him alone. If he does sign baby birth certificate u can get child support and they will MAKE HIM GET A JOB and when he does not pay he will go to jail.. the choice is yours but I would not worry too much. He has no money to take you to court =)

Feb 21, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by plaidlady
    well i have been told ...)
    The actions of family courts vary widely. So how you were treated in one jurisdiction doesn't necessarily hold true in other places, even within the same state.

Child support and visitation issues are generally held separate. So its certainly possible for a parent to get visitation without paying support and vice versa.

The main issue here is if the OP can be forced to list his name and if she leaves his name off, what will he have to do to obtain rights. This issue has been discussed in the many other posts in this thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My baby's father [ 1 Answers ]

When filing for child support is OK if I do not ss # of the father?

I don't know what to do with my life [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,I need some help,I really don't know what to do with my life career wise.I wish I was one of those people that always new what they wanted to do when they grew up but sadly I'm not. Ive always loved the idea of running my own business,in an ideal world I would own my own coffee house/tea...

The hardest part of life [ 4 Answers ]

My friend thinks that the hardest part of life is high school and being a teenager. I don't think it is because I'm in high school and I think as you get older life gets harder because of money, getting a job etc. He's in high school too so he wouldn't really know if it is harder either. I know...

I don't like what my life has become [ 5 Answers ]

I used to think I new what I wanted in life but now Im not so sure. Im 31 and I feel lost. I can't stop thinking that my problems are a result of my parents bad decisions and divorce. When I lived with my mom she tried hard to be there for us but it wasn't enough. I tried living with my dad but...

Does my baby's father have rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I have son whose father is $21,000 dollars behind in child support. He does nothing for the child nor does he spend time with the child. He was not at the hospital when my son was born, so therefore his name was not put on the birth certificate. He has never denied my son so therefore a paternity...

View more questions Search