Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 03:33 AM
    How to care for an indoor plant for dummies.
    I just received a potted plant for my birthday. As there is no sun out this time of year. I was wondering how to care for this beautiful plant so that is stands the test of time.

It's a hacineath (I have no clue how to spell this), tulips, and daisy combo in a pot.

Thank you for any and all information!:D

Have a fantastic night!:cool:
    jjcj06 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Feb 2, 2008, 03:59 AM
    I have seen smaller indoor UV lights specifically designed for growing herbs and such for cooking. One of these would work fine, unfortunately they are typically a shorter stand and would give you the hight you would need for tulips and such.

Here is a link to a sight for purchasing plant bulbs that can be used in just an ordinary light fixture. -

Ge, 65r30pl, 65w, 120v, Indoor Reflector Plant Light Bu

Good luck and happy gardening!
    Vision Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 04:33 AM
    Can I just put it near a lamp?
    jjcj06 Posts: 36, Reputation: 3

Feb 2, 2008, 05:17 AM
    Yes, as long as it is getting an ample supply of light. You also want to make sure that you shut the light off throughout the night, because the plants will need a resting period. If you have a do-it-yourself store around (such as Ace true hardware) the employees will be able to help you find the right sized light bulb for the amount of plants you have.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    Can I just put it near a lamp?
    Hello Momma:

Regular incandescent bulbs lack some of the light spectrum that your plant needs. Besides, your plant doesn't need sunshine. It just needs bright light. Put it in a southern exposed window.

excon
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Put it near a window on warmer days, and water about once per week.
    Vision Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Thanks for the help excon and jjcj, I'll do that.

Mowerman--there aren't warmer days here, especially right now. It's rain and 32 degree weather until June. My plant will die if I try to rely on the weather. And I only need to water ONCE per week??
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 02:10 PM
    What you have is essentially a bunch of bulbs. The hyacinth and tulips will bloom and fade. The daisies will last a bit longer. When everything has completed blooming you can replant everything outside in the yard. The bulbs will come up each spring and the daisies are in the crysantamum family and will come back each summer with lots of new growth. You have yourself a perpetual little garden if you replant outdoors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plant care [ 2 Answers ]

I have a three year old peace lily. The last couple of weeks the leaves have been droopy and even after watering and fertilizing, the leaves still remain droopy. I have checked for spider mites and checked the pot to see if the plant is root bound or has root rot but neither seem to be occurring. ...

L1 tax for dummies [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Information: I worked in US for 7 months (jul 8 2006 to feb 8 2006) in L1 B Visa. While in L1b visa, I was paid allowances for approx $20000.I paid taxes in home country India. I didn't know then that I had to file taxes in USA. After I returned to India, I got the information about Tax...

FACTORING for dummies [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, this is the one thing that I feel that if I get this down, MANY things will become more... obvious? Can anyone help me with this?:o

Megapixel for Dummies! [ 2 Answers ]

O.K. now nobody here is a dummy, but I do have a question... I recently purchased a larger memory stick for my Sony Digital Camera and was wondering if the overall picture quality would greatly improve if I change my settings from VGA to 4MP? I upgraded from the stock 16MB to a 512MB memory...

Food for dummies [ 1 Answers ]

Im fairly happy with my body (if my tummy was a little tighter I'd be superb). I'm doing crunches every so often to maintain that imperfection. I'm fairly active walking, swimming every so often, coaching cheerleading, and the everyday housework which keeps me constantly on the go. However, I wish...

View more questions Search