My question is about the "Legal" pet amount that I may charge
    My upcoming new tenant in the city of Ceres, California. What is the
    Lowest pet-deposit, and the maximum deposit amount that may be charged
    Or is appropriate.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Hello deedeez:

If you're going into the landlord business, you should read the RULES of the landlord business. Fortunately, we have a copy of them right here at the top of the real estate page on a "sticky note".

You'll find your answer in there plus a lot of other helpful information.

excon
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2008, 05:37 AM
    I am not from your area, but I have seen such fees set up as non-refundable charges for having a pet. Some places charge a one time fee, others add on an additional monthly fee for (each) pet. I never liked hearing it called a deposit if it was not refundable.

My only thought would be to make sure that any pet caused damages that may exceed the deposit for pets are also covered by the regular security deposit... or that the renter is still held liable for such damages.

Many pets are no problem at all so I don't want to sound like I'm looking down on them. Just trying to offer some thoughts so you have no future regrets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet deposit [ 9 Answers ]

My family and I are entending to rent a house in California and the owner wants a $1000.00 pet deposit. Is that the right dollar amount for a pet deposit? It seems kind of high to us. What is the law regarding a pet deposit in California? Thanks lilbitof3

What is a fair amount of security deposit to keep [ 3 Answers ]

I have taken a security deposit from a prospective renter of my rental property in Colorado. I gave him a free week in good faith and he moved in. On the day of the lease signing one week later he said the house he was purchasing was nearer completion than he thought and he didn't want to move in...

Amount of Pet Deposit in California & is it refundable? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a landlord & I want to know the pet deposit amount for a chiuaua & a labrador & are they refundable in California

View more questions Search