Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    minisobe Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 10:50 PM
    Breaking a year lease by tenant and not returning security deposit by landlord
    I live in Florida and I had to breake my 1 year lease after 8 months and gave a 1 month notice to my landlord. I found another tenant to rent the property after my moving out and the landlord promised me to return the security deposit. After I found myself the new tenant for the landlord and cleaned the unit, the landlord informed me he will not return the security deposit as I broke the lease and he is entitled to keep the deposit as a damage he suffered from it.
    Who is right who is wrong?
    I would like to sue my landlord to get my money back as he has suffered no damage as a new tenant is renting the unit the very next day I left the property and the place was cleaned.
    Thank you in advance for your answers,
    One unhappy floridian renter !:(
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 05:01 AM
    Hello min:

You're right. He suffered NO damage. Sue him.

excon

Feb 2, 2008, 07:11 AM
    Ok but am I entitled to sue the owner as the owner tole me as I broke the lease the contract became null and void and then keep the deposit. Is that true?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Yes, you are definitely entitled to sue the landlord. When you break a lease the landlord is entitled to continue to receive the rent until the earlier of: (1) a new tenant moves in, or (2) the end of the original term. The landlord can deduct that rent from the security deposit.

However, in your case a new tenant moved in immediately. The landlord has not suffered any damages so they are not entitled to retain any of the deposit. Sue them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 09:05 AM
    Did the new tenant, sign a new lease, did the new tenant give a new deposit. Or did the new tenant merely take over your old lease.

Feb 2, 2008, 08:26 PM
    The new tenant signed a new lease as far as I know and gave a new deposit to the owner.
    The owner told me verbally she will return the deposit one week ago if a new tenant will move in when I leave then when she found a new tenant to move in she declared that she will not return it because she suffered a loss when I break the lease ! So what should I do now? Hire a lawyer or sue on my own through the small claim court?thanks
    CMM_Kaleido Posts: 77, Reputation: 8

Feb 2, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Do you want your money back or do you just want to make a point? We had a landlord refuse to return our security deposit based on a bogus list of damages to the apartment. There wasn't even any breaking of a lease involved. We were advised by a lawyer that it would not be worth our time and expense to pursue the matter.

We opted to have the lawyer send a letter stating that the landlord was in the wrong. We knew it wouldn't accomplish anything, and while we felt a little better, we were still out the money.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2008, 09:02 PM
    First, does your lease say anything about an early termination penalty?

According to FL law (see here: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : flsenate.gov) The landlord does not have the right to withhold the deposit for early termination. That section also specifies what the landlord has to do if they plan on withholding the deposit.

Looks to me like you havethe law on your side so take them to small claims court.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 09:20 PM
    File a suit in small claims court for the return of your deposit. The filing fee is quite reasonable and you just might end up getting your deposit back. You will have to appear in court as the judge will not just automatically award you the return of the deposit without you being there to testify.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 10:38 PM
    ?? What loss is the landlord claiming?

Feb 3, 2008, 07:01 AM
    The security deposit kept by the landlord would pay actually my moving out which is $2,000!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Hello again, mini:

I think the Padre was wondering what loss the landlord was claiming – not how much.

I suggest the answer is that he doesn't claim a loss at all, but that he thinks he's entitled to keep the deposit simply because you broke the lease. He doesn't realize that he actually needs to suffer some monetary damages before he can keep it. Of course, he's wrong, but he's not going to cut a check just because you tell him that some people on the internet told you so.

You are going to have to sue him. The good news is, small claims courts are quick, cheap and user friendly.

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Sue him, as a landlord is supposed to give you a reason why he is withholding the secirity deposit in writing, before 30 days is up. You may have triple your deposit coming, depending on the state your in. The deposit covers damages to the apartment, not rent.

Feb 3, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Did you read the info on the page I linked to? I would give that to the landlord and tell him he is violating Florida law. That if he doesn't return your deposit comply with the law, you will seek legal remedies.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    First, does your lease say anything about an early termination penalty?

According to FL law (see here: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : flsenate.gov) The landlord does not have the right to withhold the deposit for early termination. That section also specifies what the landlord has to do if they plan on withholding the deposit.

Looks to me like you havethe law on your side so take them to small claims court.

I agree with Scott and would review the lease to see if there is a penalty for early termination of the lease, whether the landlord is out of pocket.

I have seen NYS leases with such a clause - don't know if it's legal in Florida.

As a landlord there are certain expenses involved with "replacing" one tenant with another - security checks, costs involved with new lease - and so I do lose money if a tenant breaks a lease, even if the tenant finds someone to take over the apartment.

Feb 3, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    As a landlord there are certain expenses involved with "replacing" one tenant with another - security checks, costs involved with new lease - and so I do lose money if a tenant breaks a lease, even if the tenant finds someone to take over the apartment.
    I was thinking about that. Yes its possible the landlord did incur some costs due to the lease being broken. But according to the law I cited, they have to itemize the expenses within the specified time frame.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I was thinking about that. Yes its possible the landlord did incur some costs due to the lease being broken. But according to the law I cited, they have to itemize the expenses within the specified time frame.

I was thinking more of a specific clause in the lease about a penalty for breaking the lease - not that I stated that clearly!

Feb 4, 2008, 11:32 PM
    Do I really need to appear at the court?
    I am now in California, the owner lives in New Jersey and the apartment was in Florida!where do I file the small claim/ I won t be able to appear at the court !is that a problem/

Feb 4, 2008, 11:40 PM
    That s what the landlord is telling me now that there is a clause stating that he is entitled to retain the security deposit if I was to break the lease. Is that legal and be approved by a judge even though there is no damage suffered by the landlord to the apartment as I cleaned it and it s in a good condition for the next tenant?

Feb 5, 2008, 12:03 AM
    The landlord is claiming prejudice from breaking the lease but actually did not suffer any damage as a new tenant is renting the place and the apartment was left clean to him

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord breaking lease [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. I was wanting to know if a landlord can kick a renter out so there realtives can move in? I have read that they can't do that in states that have renters law. Ohio dose not.

Tenant Breaking Lease, Can I keep Security? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a tenant who has signed a year lease but is now breaking after 7 months because she is moving out of state. Can I legally keep her security deposit?

Security Deposits, Landlord and Tenant [ 2 Answers ]

My landlord seems to think he can take money out of my security deposit for a carpet cleaning. The carpet isn't new from when we first moved in, and wouldn't he have to do it anyway? Should I be held responsible for that? What is covered under security deposit? We are in the process of moving out....

Landlord agrees to breaking Lease, now refusing to pay security deposit back [ 1 Answers ]

My Landlord told she'd never hold me to the lease if I ever wanted to move out. All I needed was to give a 30-day notice. Which is what I did and by the end of February I moved out. I have emails where my landlord agrees with breaking lease and further states that I'd be getting my security deposit...

Landlord breaking of Lease [ 3 Answers ]

We rented our house to our niece, with the understanding that she would not have to pay us a damage deposite, nor would she have to pay first and last month rent, with the understanding that she would take the house "as is". Ever since then it has cost us more to get things fixed than we can...

View more questions Search