Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zsteph Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Dark Spots on Tongue
    I recently noticed dark spots on my 14 year-old son's tongue. What does that mean? Is that something I should be concerned about?:
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2012, 05:42 PM
    You should have it checked by your son's Pediatrician. It is most likely not something to be concerned about, but, you should get it checked out nonetheless. It is probably related to something called "Hairy Tongue".

The tongue has very small stalks made up of keratin, which is the building block for hair. It really isn't hair, but sometimes these stalks can grow taller and attract infection or dirt, etc. Resolution would be cleaning the tongue, perhaps antibiotics.

You are searching on the internet, so you must have already come up with Oral Cancer. This is rare, and you shouldn't be panicked about it. Go see the Doctor, and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black spots on tongue [ 6 Answers ]

I have black splotchy spots on my tongue. There is no swelling, pain or sensitivity. What causes this?

Black spots on tongue [ 3 Answers ]

What causes black spots on tongue

Black spots on my tongue [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have spotted 3 black spots on my tongue lately. What could be the cause, and diagnois.

Black Spots On Tongue [ 2 Answers ]

What causes black spots to form on the back of the tongue?

Black spots on tongue [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've noticed that my cairn terrier has developed 2 black spots on the back of her tongue. She's 7 months old and in general good health with no signs of distress. Is this normal or should I take her to the vet? Many thanks

View more questions Search