Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irishgrl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 06:58 PM
    UPS unsafe work practices
    Someone tell me how one of the riches companies in the world is able with the aid of the union to make their truck mechanics work with broken tools, no truck lifts(taking out and replacing a trans is pretty difficult to do on a creeper) no tire trucks(they have to jack the truck up as if it were a car) no heat in the winter, no fans in the summer, wet slippery floors, no parts-they get some parts off OLD trucks in the grave yard, which is really difficult because there isn't any, they are band-aided and put back on the road- UPS hires people all the time and they quit and they aren't replaced so the mechanics have that much more put on them. Some of these guys are responsible for 40 trucks. I could go on, this is just the tip of the iceberg!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 07:58 PM
    I find that the UPS has some of the best safety standards and follows required. Also I do know that in many areas a lot of the work is given to contractors, and not done inhouse. Most mechanics shops are not heated ( or have small desiel heaters) and few are air conditioned, so this is the norm in the industry, you should have looked into that before becoming a mechanic, As for working conditions, they are far above most mechanic shops doing similar work and pay better with a lot better benefits than almost any other company doing similar work.

What you are describing is normal shop and trucking firm issues, sounds like you just need to change positions and find something outside of being a mechanic.

** I sell supplies to truck shops in the atlanta GA area, and will say that there are 1000's of mechanics who would love to go to work for UPS for their benefits and pay scale.

Now with higher costs all companies are cutting back, and people who still have jobs, should be more thankful for it.

And as I said if you don't like it, just quit, others will be glad to have that job.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Have you contacted OSHA about these violations? Also the DOT would be very very interested as well as putting unsafe vehicles on the road is not permitted.

You need to call the DOT Vehicle Enforcement agency in your state and tell them. They will be more than happy to send out an Inspector and hand out very hefty fines for any unsafe equipment they find. They do it all the time with regular trucking companies and UPS is a trucking company. They just might do an audit while they are there also as ALL maintenance records on trucks must be kept for a minimum of three years for any vehicle that is used on public roadways.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by irishgrl
    Someone tell me how one of the riches companies in the world is able with the aid of the union to make their truck mechanics work with broken tools, no truck lifts(taking out and replacing a trans is pretty difficult to do on a creeper) no tire trucks(they have to jack the truck up as if it were a car) no heat in the winter, no fans in the summer, wet slippery floors, no parts-they get some parts off OLD trucks in the grave yard, which is really difficult because there isn't any, they are band-aided and put back on the road- UPS hires people all the time and they quit and they aren't replaced so the mechanics have that much more put on them. Some of these guys are responsible for 40 trucks. I could go on, this is just the tip of the iceberg!!!!!

I know nothing about UPS but the Union should be on the side of the employees, not the company - so this is confusing to me.

If this is true and can be proven, contacted DOT or OSHA (if there have been injuries).

As far as pulling parts off old vehicles to repair other vehicles - I don't see this as a problem. You can buy used parts from any yard in the country.

If you - or someone you know - is a mechanic and your facts are correct I would suggest some other employment before there's an accident and you or your friend are the person who saw it shaping up and did nothing -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm not pregnant after many, many unsafe risks? [ 3 Answers ]

My Boyfriend and I have been having sex on and off (through our relationship) for about 2 years now. We've NEVER used a condom or any type of protection. There have been many a times he's ejaculated while inside me :eek: (on purpose sometimes) and I've NEVER gotten pregnant. (relief) **** ...

Unfair work practices [ 2 Answers ]

I have worked at the same company for more than 2 years,In that time, I have changed to supervisor off the plant. I started as a shipper/receiver.I voluntarily moved back to shipping in Feb. with several things promised to me that was never followed through with.They told me I was moving back to...

Push ups and Chin Ups [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I have been training for about 2 months now on my push ups mainly involving a lot of girlie push ups (on knees) and weight training. I originally started not being able to do any, AND I still can't 2 months down the track. My friend however progressed quite quickly and got there no...

After unsafe SEX. [ 2 Answers ]

Dear madam/sir, I had an unsafe sex with my boy friend, but he didn`t ejacuated the sperm inside the vagina. Now from that day there is an increament in vaginal discharges. What does it mean... Am I pregnant..? OR it natural..! What are the different means for pregnancy tests @ home..?

View more questions Search