Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maeleoin Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 01:38 PM
    Connected computers can't access internet.
    Had Netgear wgt 624 network with 3 computers working, but had to reinstall XP on the server and the connected computers stopped connecting. The server still connects through the router. Their connection wizards show a strong signal received from the router, but attempts to connect to the internet fail. All computers show wireless adapters are working. What should I do?
    Snow_death Posts: 43, Reputation: 0

Feb 1, 2008, 03:44 PM
    All right there is a lot of stuff it could be.
    1. Is the "server" a ICS server (Internet connection Sharing)?
    If you don't know go to one of the wireless computers > Start > Run > CMD > IPconfig/all and copy it all in here.
    THEN do the same thing on the Desktop (Server)

Feb 2, 2008, 01:48 AM
    Will posting this information expose my network to hackers? BTW, the server crashed again and I have had to remove some trojans.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2008, 03:45 AM
    You mention a server? But XP is not a server based OS. What do you mean by a server?

Can you ping outside the router? Can every PC ping the router?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 05:12 AM
    Add the DNS entries manually to the 3 connected computers.

Feb 2, 2008, 05:14 AM
    Sorry that I misused the term "server." By server I meant the computer on which the router was installed.
    I do not know how to answer the "ping" question. The router is working to the point that the adapters on the other computers are receiving a signal. Tell me how to determine whether "pinging" is taking place.

Feb 2, 2008, 05:19 AM
    On the ipconfig from the computer on which the router was installed, the dns was blank. How do I know what to put in the dns and how do I do it?

Feb 2, 2008, 05:24 AM
    Is there a way I can copy or print the results from the ipconfig/all or do I have to copy it by hand?

Feb 2, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maeleoin
    Sorry that I misused the term "server." By server I meant the computer on which the router was installed.
    I do not know how to answer the "ping" question. The router is working to the point that the adapters on the other computers are receiving a signal. Tell me how to determine whether "pinging" is taking place.
    If you are using a wireless broadband router as it appears, then there is no "server". Nor is the router "installed" on anything. Your PCs are connected to the router either via an ethernet cable or via WiFi.

As for your IP info, all you need to check is the IP assigned to the PC. If its in the 192.168 range, then its getting an IP from router.

Feb 2, 2008, 02:53 PM
    After the last recovery of the computer on which the router setup was run, if not installed, all of a sudden, all computers are accessing the internet through the router. I do not have a clue what changed and made the difference. Any ideas?
    srivastava_213 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Do Let me Know the IP address You Are Getting...

And to add the DNS to the computer You have to Go to the Router Page..

Then from the Router's Status Page get that DNS 1 And DNS 2 Numbers... If Any..?

Do Let Me Know..

Feb 2, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Gremlins

Feb 4, 2008, 01:00 AM
    Srivastasa, the IP address for the Lan port is 192.163.1.1.

Feb 4, 2008, 01:00 AM
    Correction:192.168.1.1

Feb 4, 2008, 06:44 AM
    That's generally the default IP for broadband routers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connected to wireless network. Can't access internet [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Dell laptop with Windows XP which is connected to a wireless network. Windows is currently managing my wireless connection, and tells me that I am connected to my network and the signal strength is excellent. I have always been able to use the internet perfectly on this laptop...

Connected to wireless network, but can't get on the internet [ 4 Answers ]

I am from the US and I'm currently studying in Spain and on the roof of my house here, I have a very strong connection to a wireless network that is titled, "wireless". It is not locked and doesn't not require any kind of password and I connect right away without it saying that I have limited or...

Do I have too many computers connected to one network? [ 4 Answers ]

We have a main computer. There are 2 laptops and 3 computers that are wireless and have all been operating fine. Yesterday my husband bought a new laptop, when he's connected my computer is choppy and takes longer than usual to load. Could his new laptop be slowing me down because it's an extra...

Sometimes I can't get connect to the internet even though I'm connected? [ 2 Answers ]

I have two connection questions for two different wireless connections. I have a couple of internet connections I use and but sometimes I connect to one and it shows me connected but the packets are not receiving? They are sent but not receiving. I believe that is the problem with that...

PC reboots while connected to the internet [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, Just wondering if you can help me. I notice you have several questions regarding PC's spontaneously rebooting for no apparent reason. My PC also does this but only when I am connected to the internet. It can occur any time after connection - 10 minutes or an hour but generally...

View more questions Search