Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mikes_babe Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Custody of my grandson
    How do I go about fighting children and youth for custody of my 1 month old grandson whom they placed in foster care? I have contacted an attorney, but they are slow responding. Do I need to become a foster parent first?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2008, 10:54 AM
    The first thing I would try is getting the parents to agree to sign over their rights to you. I would then have your attorney petition family court to appoint you legal guardian.

Feb 1, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The first thing I would try is getting the parents to agree to sign over their rights to you. I would then have your attorney petition family court to appoint you legal guardian.
    My daughter and the father of the child already talked about giving me full custody of him so no one could ever take him again... is this the same thing? Is it hard to get the courts to agree to this?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2008, 11:13 AM
    This depends on where you live and state law. Contact your representative to your state governnment; if you aren't a registered voter, go register. Ask your representative what the law is in your state on awarding a child to a family member before a non-family member. Also, make yourself known to the foks at children and youth; they probably will want to do a home inspection.

Feb 1, 2008, 11:36 AM
    I already contacted my Rep. he wasn't of any help... so then I contacted my governor, he was forwarding my inquiry to DPW, since they oversee C&Y. this whole situation is just screwed up, he should have been placed with me weeks ago, I already have my background clearances.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Go to the media. Tell then here's a situation where a blood relative wants to adopt a child in the foster care system and relieve the taxpayer of the responsibility and the buracracy is stone walling it.

Feb 6, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Go to the media. Tell then here's a situation where a blood relative wants to adopt a child in the foster care system and relieve the taxpayer of the responsibility and the buracracy is stone walling it.
    I went to the media like you suggested, now I just have to wait and see if they can help. This whole situation is pure B.S. My daughter had her first visit with him since they took him 3 weeks ago, and naturally she cried when she saw him and cried again when she had to leave him... this is tearing us all apart

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1 child 1 grandson [ 1 Answers ]

My son and his grilfriend will not let me see my grandson she is using that baby on the family and so is he I am bipolar raised my son on my own we were so thight this gril calls me a frick and ever thing else my son lets this go on she is killing my sons health he looks so bad she sits at home and...

7 year old grandson [ 5 Answers ]

Our 7 year old grandson is having problems remembering even the smallest of things. I tell him to go upstairs and get his shoes, by the time he's to the top of the stairs , he forgets and will cry. I had him in catholic kindergarten last year and the teacher called time after time and wanted us...

Evict Grandson [ 1 Answers ]

How can my mother evict her abusive, non -paying grandson from her home?

Getting custody of grandson [ 1 Answers ]

My oldest son went to prison when he was almost 18. At the time he had a girlfriend who had a baby after he was incarcerated. WHich turned out to be his. He just turned 24 this year and is coming up for parole. I never saw my grandson until this past July. During the last 6 years she also had a...

My Grandson [ 7 Answers ]

My precious little grandson does the weirdest thing once in a while. To explain a little when he was born he was breech, he never crawled, he sat straight up and hopped. He had months of therepy and started walking very late. At about age two he started with these little twitches, his legs go...

View more questions Search