Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobvil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Canadian Income Tax - leasing and small business
    I need help understanding lease write off and how it will affects my tax return.

Example: I earn $50,000 per yr in my career and have a small business (sole proprietorship) that I earn $2,000 per yr. If I lease a vehicle under my business that costs me $1000 per month I understand I can write off that expense. Therefore my taxable income is reduced to $40,000. Given this basic example approximately how much tax would I get back (or what I really want to know is what is the “real” cost to me for the leased vehicle)

Thank you!
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Feb 1, 2008, 10:52 AM
    For example
    If you make $50,000 / 12 m you make a month
    out of the $4,166.67 the government takes $1,100.00 for taxes
    Take the $10,000 for the expense and divide it into how much you make a month $4166.67
    which then gives you 2.39 that's is how many months you loss from that $10,000
    take the 2.39(months you loss) and multiply it into the tax the Government took from you a month #1,100.00 = $2,629.00
    That is what you are expected to get back
    You only will get the money from the taxes you paid into that year.
    I hope this helped you out. That's what my wife's accountant explained to us for her small business. In a simpler aspect.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 12:21 AM
    That sounds about right.
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Feb 2, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bobvil
    I need help understanding lease write off and how it will affects my tax return.

Example: I earn $50,000 per yr in my career and have a small business (sole proprietorship) that I earn $2,000 per yr. If I lease a vehicle under my business that costs me $1000 per month I understand I can write off that expense. Therefore my taxable income is reduced to $40,000. Given this basic example approximately how much tax would I get back (or what I really want to know is what is the “real” cost to me for the leased vehicle)

Thank you!
    Also keep in mind that when you are leasing a vehicle you can claim more out of it as well. I am no expert but it would be a good idea to get an accountant to do it for you as well you can claim the cost from your accountant next year on your tax. Having an accountant well maximize your return. But it would be a good idea to find one with years of experience. Best of luck with it.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 06:59 PM
    Noted!
    mommieof2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Do you have to claim a foreign pension that you receive in the US as income?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 2, 2008, 10:10 PM
    Yes, you must declare your world wide income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Small Business Tax Refund [ 3 Answers ]

I own an online publication that I operate from my home and is sponsored by advertisers. I started it in August. What goes into deciding whether a small business gets a tax refund? Thanks you.

Looking for small town business-to-business service need I'm qualified for [ 5 Answers ]

I hope someone out there can help! Some entrepreneur who's already made this discovery and who can hep me do similar. Seems everything I can think of nobody would pay any $ for me to do. I am 7 yr stay at home MOM w/ 2 kids now just both in school and I really need to find work I can do to...

Tax law on leasing [ 5 Answers ]

How do I lease a personally owened veh to my LLC and not have to show personal income at the end of year taxes? Thanks Jon

This business doesn't pay income tax, WHY? [ 5 Answers ]

Why does this business desire is the to be the only for profit business exempt from paying both state and federal income taxes? Every other business and person in the US has to pay income taxes. THis business takes in about one trillion dollars a year and pays zero in taxes. This business is...

View more questions Search