Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lynn1960 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2008, 10:06 AM
    My snow blower will not start.
    How can I trouble shoot my snow blower? Do snowblower have spark plugs?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Yes.

I would clean or replace the spark plug. Clean or replace the air filter too.

Did you leave it sit, over the off season, with gas in it? If yes, was the gas treated with any type of stabilizer? If no, you may have to clean the fuel lines, and perhaps the carb as gummy deposits will develop when it sits for a long time.

I use a product called stabil. It's light red, and just a few drops in the gas tank does the trick. I put a little in it before I put it away for the summer, let it run for a few minutes so the treated gas gets all the way through the system, then shut it off and park it.

It is 5 years old now, and has never failed to start on the first pull every winter.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Some very small snow blowers are electric but you would know that if you had to plug it into and outlet so I'm thinking you have a gas blower. The most common cause of problems with blowers is a gummed up carborator. Do you want to learn how to take it apart? For the spark plug look for a black cord about the size of a pencil and it will be in fairly easy sight. Pull the cord off the plug, remove the plug, clean it and gap it before reinstalling.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Yes, a snow blower will have a spark plug.
    ltcmikesr Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Feb 21, 2008, 08:36 PM
    Lynn:

You scare me. If you can't even see if you snowblower has a spark plug. Messing with this powerful machine could be VERY dangerous for you. Please do us all a favor, no offense meant, and take it to a shop for the pros. BTW, just realize, what are your fingers or your eyes worth to you. A lot more than a service charge. If you machine is in fairly good condition, it will be worthwhile to get fixed and not junked.

Trust me, I live in south central Wisconsin and I know what a good working machine is worth, but I have been repairing machinery and doing carpentry and fix it my entire life (well almost all 60 years of it) Please, for you self and your loved ones.

Let me know what you decide.
    ltcmikesr Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Feb 21, 2008, 08:40 PM
    Couple more thoughts after re-reading the other answers.

1. Most snowblowers don't have an air filter - not much loose dirt and dust in the winter;
    2. takes more than a couple of drops of Stabil to protect a gallon of gas, but follow the directions on the bottle. Any of us who work with gas engines (mostly smaller engines) swear by it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 22, 2008, 04:19 PM
    Mowerman and I tried to answer her questions 3 weeks ago and she never responded so its unlikely she'll see your advice. We try to help folks with DIY projects but ask if they know how to do certain things but Lynn never answered.
    tradle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 06:32 AM
    All - if the gas in the lines wasn't treated before the off season, will Sta-bil still work in terms of getting a snowblower to start? I changed my sparkplug - but I think there was a liuttle bit of gas left in the tank after last season. I added new gas to the blower, but she just doesn't want to start up. HELP! We're getting buried today and I really don't want to pay for a tow. Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Tim
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Jan 28, 2009, 06:40 AM
    Stabil will not clear up an existing problem. It will only help prevent problems from arising.
    Pipes09 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2009, 08:48 PM
    You are all dumb dumbs...
    I don't know if any of yous have ever fixed a snowblower.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2009, 11:18 AM
    Snow Blowers do not have air filters.
    And for the most part stabil will not help in 2 cycle.
    Because the gas evaporates but the oil mix does not.
    I have about 20 snow blowers sitting in my shop now.
    Most of them need the carbs cleaned out,and I always replace the spark plug,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snow blower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Tecumseh yard machine snow blower. It started up fine the first year. This year, it wouldn't start. I've only used it 4 times since I've had it. Does anyone have an idea on what this could be? I'm thinking I might have left some gasoline in it the last time I used it.

Snow blower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have 9 hp craftman snowblower that doesn't start. Ihave replaced spark plug,cleaned filter.any sugestion?

Snow blower not picking up snow [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Noma 5.0 HP snow blower that is not working correctly. The shears are not turning and picking up the snow. I've checked the shear pins, but they seem to be in good condition. What else should I check? Thanks

Snow blower [ 1 Answers ]

I got a new snow blower last year and used it once, worked great, this year it won't start. Primer is just pushing air, gas line is not bloked. I put I little gas in the spark plug cylinder and it fired up for a second. Gas is not going through the carb, is something stuck, what should I do. I did...

View more questions Search