Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asutoshwagh Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Can I file my federal and CA state return online?
    Hi,
    I was in US from Feb 2006 to feb 2007 on L1 visa. So for the year 2007 I was in USA from Jan 1st 2007 to Feb 5th 2007.
    My question is can I file my federal and state return online as my stay was just for 1 month?
    Somebody told me that I need to be in US for more than 183 days in a particular financial year to file online return is it correct?

Thanks and Regards,
    Asutosh
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 11:48 PM
    Negative. You must file as a non-resident alien, and such a return MUST be mailed.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 04:12 AM
    Which form did you file for your 2006 tax return? For 2006, you were Dual status alien as you completed 183 days.
    For 2007 also you are dual status alien, resident up to Feb 07 and then nonresident, so you will file nonresident tax return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Agreed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file my federal and CA state return online [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone help me on this please... Hi, I was in US from Feb 2006 to feb 2007 on L1 visa. So for the year 2007 I was in USA from Jan 1st 2007 to Feb 5th 2007. My question is can I file my federal and state return online as my stay was just for 1 month? Somebody told me that I need to...

Want to file *only* CA state return online [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I want to file CA state return online without the federal return (as I have filed a paper return for federal). Is there a site which allows me to do that... because some of the sites which I visited just assumes that I want to efile the federal as well as state return togeather. Thanks.

Filing status different for Federal return and State return [ 1 Answers ]

Can I use a different filing status for Federal and State? I got married in October last year, but I and my wife were residing in separate states till early 2007. So, on Dec 31st we were married but did not stay together. For the state I guess we cannot file JOINT because of different states....

Joint Federal Return - separate state returns [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I were legally separated for all of 2006. We know we can file a joint federal return but she needs to also file in Georgia. I lived and worked in Texas the entire year. Can we file a joint federal return and file it with the IRS, have her fill out a federal return as a single person...

Federal return collected by state for state liability [ 1 Answers ]

I live in wi and filed married jointly I owe the wisc. Dep. Of revenue money but I have paid off the IRS . I filed my fed. Return electronicly and it was accepded, can the wisc .dep. Of rev. take my fed tax return? Or will my fed return be deposited in my account that I have specified with my...

View more questions Search