Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peppermint_Icecream Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 09:21 PM
    Mother In Law can't or won't move out
    My Mother In Law with (undianosed compulsive disorder) has lived with my husband and I for over 5 years and I can't bear it anyone. She doesn't have any money to move out and she is my husbands only family, so I can say anything and I have been quitely going insane for all this time. She always does the opposite to what I ask, especially when it comes to my son and she thinks she has a strong hold on my husband. If is wasn't for my son and husband I would leave. I don't know what to do, one day I am going to crack.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Have you discussed this with the county mental health clinic? If nothing else, find an apartment and move.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 09:57 PM
    First of all, you MUST talk to your husband about how you are feeling. Then you should talk to your local Mental Health Association to find out how you would go about getting her diagnosed and if there are any local support groups for caregivers of people with mental or emotional disorders. If your mother-in-law does have a disorder you may be able to cope better if she was receiving treatment and therapy and/or involved in a day treatment program. You and your husband are doing her and yourselves a grave disservice if she is not receiving help for a real disorder.

Hugs, Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother-In-Law Acts Like My Children's Mother [ 6 Answers ]

I would like some advice on how to handle a situation with my mother-in-law. My mother-in-law was always the kind of woman who loved kids immensely, wanted to be a stay-at-home mom, her whole life revolves around her kids, etc. I think that is absolutely fabulous. Me, on the other hand, I've...

How do I get my mother to move out and she's on the lease? [ 1 Answers ]

I share an apartment with my mother. We moved in July of this year and we are both on the lease, unfortunately. She doesn't work, pay rent, pay bills or anything but cause stress to myself and my unborn baby. I need her to move out and every time I confront her and ask her to move she will not go...

Mother-in-law needs to move out [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I have been helping my mother-in-law out for about 4-5 months. She needed a place to stay and get her life back on track. She has no place to go and is on medicine for bipolar. We try to get her to look for apartments and stuff and she rarely does it. Plus she sleeps on my couch and...

Can I move house with new mother and kitten? [ 2 Answers ]

My cat has just given birth to 1 beautiful kitten (the 2nd was stillborn). They are getting along well, and currently living in a box I set up as their nest some weeks ago. However I need to move house within the next week, and need to know if and when it is safe to move the mother and her kitten....

View more questions Search