Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beth911 Posts: 499, Reputation: 6

Jan 31, 2008, 08:32 PM
    Singing trouble
    I love to sing but my singing is really bad. How can I be better?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2008, 11:09 PM
    Use a keyboard. Sing the notes and find them on the keyboard. Then see if you can sing a certain note and check it against the keyboard. Some people can learn, some never do. If you continue to sing 'badly' find another hobby. A friend of mine can't sing his way out of a paper bag, so he became a drummer. He still tries to sing along with the radio and gets smacked for it.
    beautifulsteph18 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 11:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by beth911
    I love to sing but my singing is really bad. how can i be better?
    Make sure you are not singing through your nose from your stomach and throat practice one note at a time I don't think you can get all better in one night practice makes perfect
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2008, 12:08 AM
    From the standpoint of a music educator, I don't believe that there is anyone who can't be taught how to sing and to do so well, as long as everything about them is okay physically and mentally. I have never met anyone who couldn't be taught how to sing. I have had hundreds of music students where the primary concern musically was for them to be able to sing.

Everyone can sing or be taught how to sing. We just aren't all born with a Stradivarius for our vocal instrument.

Now, how well a person will be able to sing does depend on a number of factors, some of which are: the desire to sing, the willingness to change the incorrect ways that one might have been singing in order to utilize the voice to it's fullest potential as an instrument depending on the type or types of music one might desire to sing, the willingness to practice the correct ways that one might use to improve one's voice... Those are just a few factors.

I will agree that there is a tendency for adolescent people to sing "through their noses." I am sure that this is due primarily to the fact of listening to so many singers in the pop culture of music that sound a similar way and only sound somewhat passably good because of the use of a microphone and the manipulation of the sound by means of the recording equipment. But hey, a lot of that music wouldn't sound right unless they did sing that way, because it is written to be sung in a certain style which might not lend itself to utilizing the mechanics of the voice to it's fullest potential and the use of a microphone and altering the sound by means of manipulating it with the recording equipment is what is desired.

I take exception to it being just "practice makes perfect." There are plenty of ways to practice. Not all of them are good, no matter how many times someone uses them. I prefer to say that it's "perfect practice that makes perfect."

I am impressed beth911, that you are asking a question about how to improve your voice!

I do have a couple of questions for you concerning that though.

Why do you think that your singing is really bad? And, what kind of music is it that you have been trying to sing?

Feb 1, 2008, 12:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    Use a keyboard. Sing the notes and find them on the keyboard. Then see if you can sing a certain note and check it against the keyboard. Some people can learn, some never do. If you continue to sing 'badly' find another hobby. A friend of mine can't sing his way out of a paper bag, so he became a drummer. He still tries to sing along with the radio and gets smacked for it.
    Well, all I can stand to do, is listen to music. And it's the only thing I can enjoy. I choose it over friends and a lot of other things. Its part of the reason I have no friends. But who cares? I have my I pod. That's all that matters.
    It just bothers me if I open my mouth to try to sing... and it doesn't sound anything like I expect.

Feb 1, 2008, 12:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by beautifulsteph18
    make sure you are not singing through your nose from your stomach and throat practice one note at a time i dont think you can get all better in one night practice makes perfect
    Iv'e been trying for about 5 years now. That's all I would do is sing. But I haven't much the last 6 months... because my fear of singing around people has gotten worse and I won't even sing in front of my parents now... or ANYONE at all.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2008, 02:33 AM
    Dear beth911,

Thank you for your answer to me! Much appreciated! However, I did ask you a couple of questions in my post that I would appreciate an answer to. Thank you!
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Feb 1, 2008, 10:05 AM
    You know what they say. Practice makes perfect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to get into singing [ 16 Answers ]

Hey I really what to be a singer and that's all I can think of do you now of any ways to get to the singing business I would love to hear what you have to say... p.s want to be a singer really badly! :eek:

Singing [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, Well I'm about to turn 14 and I really love to sing. But I'm really shy so I don't sing publicly. But I know to become a singer you can't be stagefright and stuff so I don't know if should just give up on singing or try to find a solution. And I know that I need to improve my...

Singing [ 9 Answers ]

How do I get myself out there and show people how good I am at singing?

Singing [ 3 Answers ]

I want to be a singer when I grow up but I have problems writing songs wha should I do? I have no idea.

Singing! [ 1 Answers ]

I really really want to be a professional singer and everyone says I've got an amazing voice but I just don't know where to start. I'm 13 but I have to start now (singing for free), I'm thinking of going on the x factor when I'm 16 but until then I need to be occupied: with singing!. please please...

View more questions Search