Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sammipr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 01:44 PM
    'Sale of partial owneship of inherited house'
    Expounding on question/answer "We inherited 1/2 interest in my husband's family home when his mother died in 1990. He sold his interest in the house to his nephew in 2007. Do we have to pay taxes on the sale?" "Yes - assuming that the amount he sold it for is more than his cost basis he would have to pay capital gans on the increase, assumng that the home was not his primary residence for at least 2 of the previous 5 years. The cost basis is the market value of the half-interest on the date his moter died in 1990 - hopefully the executor of his mother's estate let him know what that value was at the time."

The tax assessment in 1990 was $76,000; the assessment in 2007 was $100,000. Do we pay taxes on the difference? What forms do we use to do this?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 02:05 PM
    You report the sale on Schedule D. Based on the figures you gave you will report a long-term capital gain of $24K (I assume the numbers you gave are for your husband's half interest, not the full value of the house). You enter both the cost basis and selling price on schedue D line 8.

You should take a look at Pub 523 for more information on the sale of a home:
    Publication 523 (2007), Selling Your Home
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 11:19 PM
    Agreed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on sale of inherited house [ 2 Answers ]

We inherited 1/2 interest in my husband's family home when his mother died in 1990. He sold his interest in the house to his nephew in 2007. Do we have to pay taxes on the sale?

Sale of partial owneship of inherited house [ 2 Answers ]

We inherited 1/2 interest in my husband's family home when his mother died in 1990. He sold his interest in the house to his nephew who owned 1/3 of the other half in 2007. Do we have to pay taxes on the sale?

Tax on sale of Inherited Property [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away in Nov of 2006 and left her home that was in trust to myself and my two sisters. We sold the property in mid 2007. Is there any tax owed on the sale of the home? The house was in trust, so don't know why there would be. But read on IRS site that we must fine the basis of the...

Basis and Expenses on Inherited Property Sale [ 8 Answers ]

My wife and brother-in-law inherited their father's home upon his death 6 months ago. Brother-in-law wants to purchase my wife's share. Brother-in-law is also executor. How do we establish basis, FMV and report sale between siblings of inherited real estate? The plan at the moment is to get...

Taxes on sale of inherited real estate [ 1 Answers ]

We are selling the farm/residence we inherited from my father.what taxes are we going to be required to pay here in Virginia?

View more questions Search