Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eprakel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 07:23 AM
    S corporation paying state taxes in two states
    Hi,

My partner and I have an S corporation set up in Illinois. He is permanently moving to Iowa. We work as independent contractors on various projects--his mainly in Iowa. As an S corporation, we are employees of the corporation and pay ourselves wages every month. How do we handle paying the state taxes? Pay both Iowa and Illinois? Or pay Illinois and file an Iowa return at the end of the year? I'm worried about paying double taxes.

Thanks for your help.
    Libby
    MaggieMouse Posts: 226, Reputation: 8

Feb 2, 2008, 04:12 PM
    As an S-Corp shareholder, you cannot pay yourself a salary every month. It's a flow-through entity, which means net income will combined with your other personal earnings when you file your tax return at the end of the year. There is no tax on the corporate level.

When you mention state taxes, I assume you are talking about state income taxes. You will have a K-1 form to allocate income for each of you, then each of you use it for your own tax return on your own state of residency.
    clu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2008, 10:57 AM
    The answer given to you above is INCORRECT. Person above needs to do more research.

Here is your answer:
    Tax Law (Questions About Taxes): S Corp w/ no income in a give year
    MaggieMouse Posts: 226, Reputation: 8

Apr 16, 2008, 01:10 PM
    Agreed. There was a mistake above.
    clu Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2008, 07:16 PM
    NP. Were here to help each other out. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file state taxes for two states? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the military and have California state taxes deducted due to my residency at the time of my enlistment. I am now stationed in Colorado and have owned a home here for the past 3 years. I have a second job in Colorado and of course have Colorado state taxes withheld. How do I file...

Paying ga. State income taxes on income earned in another state [ 1 Answers ]

I earned money working in Texas, which does not have a state income tax, however I discovered when I filed my taxes I was being assesed taxes on income I did not earn in Georgia, I don't know the law, but I feel this is unfair.

Filing state taxes from two states [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I live in Virginia. Mu husband is employed in Virginia but I have a virtual home office and receive my pay check from Colorado Springs, CO. How do we go about filing our 2006 state taxes?

Filing state taxes in two states (IL and MD) [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, I have the following questions for you: 1. Both me and my husbands work on H1B visas and we are considered residents for tax purposes. Last year we filed a joint tax return for federal and IL state taxes. We plan on filing jointly this year. My husband changed jobs in Nov...

Filing state taxes for two different states [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if I'm filing state taxes for two different states,do I need a special form or do I file separate?

View more questions Search