Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wencassi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2008, 12:03 AM
    How do I find the deed or abstract for my home?
    I Need to find the Deed or Abstract to my home. It was built in 1860 and I want to know the history of this house. Have some strange things happening and need to do some research. Already tried the courthouse with no luck. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Wendy
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Abstracts, which are not done anymore, were typically given to the owner when the property transferred.

If you could learn who the previous owners of the property are, one of them might have the abstract stashed away in an attic or basement.

I'm sorry to say, though, that the chances are very slim of finding it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Not sure about your area, but the deeds are on file at the county court house, ( in the US) it will go back to all of the prevoius owners. Each time a new deed is filed it is placed on record. So your deed will be there, as will previous deeds.

So if you could not frid the deeds to the properties you would have went went to the recorder of deeds office ( or what they are called in your state)
    sdenny Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2008, 11:03 AM
    Do you own the house? I don't know what state you live in but when I bought my home the seller's lawyer had to bring the abstract up to date before the deed could be transferred to our name.
    I am more interested in the "strange things" happening in your home and would love to hear about it. I may be able to help you with that.
    sdenny

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I add another name to the deed on my home? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I add another name to the deed on my home?

Deed to a home. [ 1 Answers ]

How

How do you add a name to a Deed? [ 1 Answers ]

How can a name be added to the house deed in New Jersey

Fathers Home Deed [ 1 Answers ]

My father is 82 and wants to Quit Claim his home to me for the purposes of me refinacing the home for improvements. My mother died this past Dec 06 and I have 9 other siblings. The bank wants my name on the Deed in order for the refinace to take place. Can I just add myself with a Quitclaim with...

Deed for Home [ 2 Answers ]

When I refinanced the home loan, the new mortgage company would not accept my husband as co-borrower on the mortgage, so the new mortgage is in my name only. I want to take him off the property deed as well. What document do I use to remove his name from the deed?

View more questions Search