Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susabar Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Fair price for toilet fix
    Hi,
    Plumbers what do you think? My toilet is running , it is not the flap or chain ( I can handle that ) I work in a huge hospital and the electricans / plumbers from plant ops will do side jobs. I had someone out here once and he didn't want to take money. I would like to pay him for replacing the toilet tank parts... but I have no idea what I should give him for doing this job. I could call a plumber in the yellow pages but these young guys could probably use the extra income. Could you give me a ball park figure?

Thanks!!

susabar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 05:35 PM
    Depends on how long they were there for the repair. I don't know anyone who will turn down a few $20 bills for their "time" to come and fix it.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 05:43 PM
    According to Tom's tips (Speedball1... one of site moderators) we are not really allowed to quote prices of any kind... each area is so different... you know.

BUT.. as a plumber that has done a lot of favors and lots of volunteer work (God bless habitat for humanity!! ) I will tell you that anything you do will be appreciated... a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant... a gift certificate to a home supply store (home depot... lowes, etc.). Cash is always nice, too.

How much... well... count their time including picking up the material needed for the job.. that means the time that they drive to your house... the time they assess the work.. the time they take to go to store and purchase material... THIER GAS... and the time it takes to put it in.

Then.. well... in Boston, MA... you would pay a plumber about $100.00/hr... so just keep that in mind!! ANything that acknowledges their effort will be appreciated.. I am sure!!

I hope this helped.. if it did please RATE THE ANSWER below!! Best wishes!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 06:06 PM
    I can tell you what my family charges, they are plumbers, to get them to your house ( just to drive up to the front door) will be 65 dollars and they get 50 dollars a hour after that.

Also consider how far they have to drive, it is easy to spend 10 dollars or more just in gasoline to get to the other side of town.

And unless one of these young men has a crush on you, I doubt they will say no charge, but most liekly have a price in mind.

I am one that does odd jobs doing some plumbing and gas line work after hours for a few people I know. Or those that minght know me. For close family I get feed and told how fat I am getting, for the others, I sort of expect about 1/4 of what the local plumber would normally get.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 07:27 PM
    I may be reading this question wrong but I think you are saying you can ask someone with whom you have a social or other relationship for assistance. You probably would like to do this for many reasons,saving a little money, more convenient or works into you schedule better or you are just more comfortable doing it this way. You want to save a little money but you don't want to be a dead beat. Pay too much and you lose the savings, too little and you insult them or belittle the work and appear unappreciative.You probably have some idea of the cost of a service call. I would say you should pay the cost of all material and about 50% of the professional rate. That way you save a little money and show your appreciation. The other person is probably trying to make a little extra money at the same time be of assistance to you. If I were a friend or acquaintance and you ask for or I offered assistance, and I spent an hour fixing the problem I would rather it remain a favor than have a $10 or $20 tip. Of course it all depends on the amount of time, difficulty and the relationship between the two parties.
    All that being said why don't you describe you problem here maybe we can help, and we don't charge anything, just like a thank you once in a while.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to determine a fair price for a business [ 3 Answers ]

My employer has offered me and my son a chance to buy her business. It's a commercial cleaning service that brings in aprox $15,500 a month. She wants payments of 7000 a month to be taken off the top of the profits. I'll be paying this for 5 years. There is no building in the sale, only...

How much is a fair price rate for wallpaper removal. [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know what is a fair rate to charge for wallpaper removal?

Is $2972 for a Payne 2 ton 13 seer a/c fair price? [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing an old rooftop a/c unit in my condo in Tallahassee, FL. I have been given a quote for a Payne 2 TON 13 SEER R22 refrigerant in the amount of $2972, $3190 w/ heat pump. For $3590 I can have a Bryant 2 ton 13 SEER R10 w/ heat pump installed instead. Being that I'm in Florida, do you...

Composite decking - Trek vs. Procell; Fair price for deck piles [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there Any opinions on whether to use Trek or Procell for large composite deck at the beach? Any thoughts on a fair price for 20' deck pile vibrated 10' into sandy ground at Jersey Shore? Any input appreciated MCC

View more questions Search