Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    divorced guy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 04:37 PM
    calories vs fats for proper weight gain
    In creating a diet for weight gain is it more important to look at caloric value on food lables or fat content.

I appreciate that there are good fats and bad fats but that is not the question. I have been divorced for a year and am just stabilizing my life and looking to put the 20 lbs that I worried away back on.
    MassNutrition Posts: 75, Reputation: 5

Feb 1, 2008, 06:05 AM
    I completely understand where you're coming from. My body weight has fluctuated 20 to 25 lbs easily over the years, not just from bulking and dieting, but from stresses in my life too. I have gone from 260lbs to 235lbs in NO time... it's scary.

Anyway, seeing that you already know about good and bad fats, let's break down the caloric value of each macronutrient.

1g of protein = 4 calories
    1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

As you can see, fat has more than double the value of carbs and protein put together. So I would say that you would need to look at BOTH (calories and fats) when creating your diet. Good fats will bring up for total daily caloric intake up quickly, since they are a concentrated source of energy. For now, I would recommend you start with a daily ratio of 40:40:20 of carbs to protein to fats. Then you can modify your diet from there based on the results. You can either lower your carbs and "up" your protein, or lower your fats and up your protein, etc. Good luck.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2008, 11:23 AM
    From what I heard some people are fat burners and some are sugar burners.

Pompa Health Solutions - Weight Loss weight loss page under diet and nutrition

TotalHealthWorld » Burning Fat vs. Burning Calories

Fat Burning or Fat Storing? Diet in Fat Burning Mode

Fat Burning Exercise / Workout That Really Burns The Fat
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2008, 05:25 PM
    divorced guy What are you talking about??

The links I gave explain how the body burns fat vs burning calories
    And how some people lose by burning fat while others lose more by burning sugar.

You wish me well on what recovery when I do what ?

Feb 1, 2008, 07:57 PM
    I am a healthy but under weight guy. Twice in your response you mentioned drugs.
    When you lose your dependence on drugs, please answer my question.

Feb 1, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MassNutrition
    I completely understand where you're coming from. My body weight has fluctuated 20 to 25 lbs easily over the years, not just from bulking and dieting, but from stresses in my life too. I have gone from 260lbs to 235lbs in NO time... it's scary.

Anyway, seeing that you already know about good and bad fats, let's break down the caloric value of each macronutrient.

1g of protein = 4 calories
    1g of carbs = 4 calories
    1g of fat = 9 calories

As you can see, fat has more than double the value of carbs and protein put together. So I would say that you would need to look at BOTH (calories and fats) when creating your diet. Good fats will bring up for total daily caloric intake up quickly, since they are a concentrated source of energy. For now, I would recommend you start off with a daily ratio of 40:40:20 of carbs to protein to fats. Then you can modify your diet from there based on the results. You can either lower your carbs and "up" your protein, or lower your fats and up your protein, etc. Good luck.
    Thanks, I am 165 healthy weight and strugling to stay in the 150's I am 5'10 and got as low as 145. Exercise is important but I lead a very sedimentary lifestyle. I am changing all!
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 09:39 AM
    WHAT drugs did I say??
    I do NOT do drugs.

I said

SOME people burn fat

SOME people burn sugar (calories) and the links have articles explaining how some people burn fat while others burn sugar depending on their specific metabolism.

So therefore the answer to your question can not be an either vs or.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Could he be reading your signature?? I haven't seen you reference drugs in any post either.
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Could he be reading your signature??? I haven't seen you reference drugs in any post either.
    Taliman that is what I was just thinking too thanks.

I have that as a disclaimer because if I say drink cranberry juice, eat grapefruit and/or take vitamin E
    IF
    (as J_9well pointed out)
    The person I am replying to is on warfrin or coudamin (sp?) and I suggest vitamin E and grapefruit or cranberry juice
    They could thin the blood further as if doubling their meds.
    But when they come here asking what to take for what I don't always ask what ARE you taking.
    I am simply telling them what works for what.
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2008, 06:48 PM
    How about looking into what your eating, keeping your fat intake low, of course is ideal, as well as sugar, and sodium, when looking at your nutritional labels on the foods that your eating, a high percentage is 20% dv daily value, where as 5 % is considered low for that group, ( saturated fats, sodium. Sugars) so keep the levels less then 20% per serving. Eating unprocess foods, eating natural foods, like leans meats, 3oz. Is the max your body needs per serving. And then add whole grains, veggies and fruits with each meal. If your keeping your portions smaller then normal, and eating healthy foods, not fast or fried for instance, calories are not as important, because your eating quality foods, that your body will absorb efficiently and burn quickly.
    MassNutrition Posts: 75, Reputation: 5

Feb 2, 2008, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by divorced guy
    Thanks, I am 165 healthy weight and strugling to stay in the 150's I am 5'10 and got as low as 145. Exercise is important but I lead a very sedimentary lifestyle. I am changing all!
    Excellent! Having a positive attitude changes EVERYTHING. I am talking from experience here. The more we stress and worry day to day, the higher and faster our cortisol levels go up. Cortisol is a very destructive hormone, it eats away at everything and puts our bodies into a catabolic state. Having a positive attitude and a good diet will put your body into an anabolic state in no time.

Like I said, I'm talking from experience. I'm 6'1" and I was 147 lbs at my all time low YEARS ago. I gave myself a kick in the back then, gave the world the finger, and I am the 260 muscular pounds I am today. Most importantly, I'm happy... Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why can't I gain weight? [ 19 Answers ]

I'm 25 5'2 and 95 pounds and I want to gain weight so bad, but it feels like such a struggle to do so. When I eat a little I am 95, when I eat normal it's 95, when I eat a lot it's still 95! I've been skinny my whole life and even though I'm confident, I hate my body sometimes and isn't because I...

Proper Foods to Gain Weight [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, I'm 18. 93-96 lbs, and 5'2. I eat junk food all day. Usually fast food for lunch. Eat out for dinner about every other night. I don't play sports or exercise on a regular basis. I want to GAIN weight HEALTHILY. I just don't know what to eat. I usually eat stuff like nachos, popcorn, Dr....

Weight Gain [ 3 Answers ]

I have gained weight after taking the deprovera shot but am no longer on it. I want to know what can I do to maintain my weight which I think looks so much better on me?

Proper weight for a 9 week lab puppy? [ 9 Answers ]

I took her to the vets the other day and the weighing thing said 5.80 or something like that, though I don't know whether that's a normal weight or not! Or even what that was measured in! :S The vet did say she had a lot of puppy fat - if this is the case how does she loose it? Comments would be...

Weight loss calories [ 2 Answers ]

If the total calories is 200 And serving container is about 4? How do I find the total calories for 1 serving?

View more questions Search