Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 30, 2008, 02:17 PM
    Potty training a puppy
    My girlfriend has a 3 month old chiwawa and I was wondering if that's too early for the dog to be potty trained. The dog goes to the bathroom everywhere, on the bed, in the dogs own bed, on clothes left on the floor, in the kitchen. Both #1 and #2. is this normal? Its really annoying to say the least.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:38 PM
    Potty training starts from the day the puppy is born. The mother keeps the bedding clean while moving the puppies elsewhere to eliminate.

At the very least, potty training should have started the day the puppy came home.

Does the puppy sleep in a crate at night? If so, you need to make sure... especially with this small of a breed, that the crate is not too big. Dogs naturally do not eliminate where they sleep. If the crate is too big and the dog can go to one end and potty then walk to the other end and sleep... in their mind, they aren't going potty where they sleep. The crate should only be big enough for the dog to stand up, turn around, and lay down.

When my husband and I brought our little Lennox home, we made sure to pick him up on a Friday so we could spend the whole weekend with him. We didn't make any plans and stayed in the house with him. We took him outside every 2 hours. He caught on really quick.
    Puppy have small bladders. They can't be expected to hold it long. If you both work during the day, you need to either come home on lunch or have someone stop by to let the puupy out for a potty break.

Make sure you clean the areas that the puppy has eliminated on very good... so it gets rid of the scent.

It certainly doesn't happen overnight. Good luck.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:48 PM
    If you start at 7-8 weeks, by 3 months most of the accidents shouldreally be neglects where you weren't watching the puppy like you shold have. See https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Potty training my puppy [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 Italian Grehounds. My boy is 10 months old, my girl is 7 months old. My 1st question pertains to the boy... he has just recently started hiking his leg on things in the house. I never catch him in the act, but it was obviously him. How do I punish him for doing this, especially when...

Puppy potty training confusion [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 9 week old male Scottish Terrier; I live in an upstairs flat and am not finding a place or method for potty training that is working. I am having him go in either the bathroom or outside depending on the weather (it is cold and we have snow) and time of day and I am concerned that this is...

Potty training puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old boxer puppy and I have had her for about 6 weeks. We have tried everything to potty train her but it doesn't seem to work. At first, she had worms and we were treating her for that, so we expected some extra messes. A friend that is a dog trainer told us try the crate...

Where do you start potty training a puppy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will be a first time owner of a puppy, Yorkie. I have done some research on this breed, so I am familiar with it. But, I have never owned a puppy, and I have read so many ways of housetraining. Where do I start? Advice needed. THANKS

Potty training a puppy [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 3 month old male miniature miniature and I can't seem to potty train him, every time I put him outside after he eats or drinks, he won't go and then goes in the house when I let him in. any suggestions?

View more questions Search