Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reyndir Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 11:29 AM
    H1 with family not in US to claim as dependents
    Hi,

I am an H1B, I came here in US June 2007, I have wife and kids in the philippines, I have apply them for H4 but still pending.

Can I claim them as my dependents? If yes, what are the documents I need to do that.

Thanks,

Reyn
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 03:52 PM
    You can file jointly with your wife, which means you BOTH choose to be treated as resident aliens for ALL of 2007.

That means that ALL 2007 world-wide income becomes subject to U.S. taxes.

But this also allows you to claim your children AND claim the $1,000 Child Tax Credit.

If you need professional tax help, send me a Private Message.

Jan 31, 2008, 06:23 AM
    What documents I need to claim them as dependents? Is the passport enough since they don't have H4 stamping. It's still pending.

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2008, 10:43 PM
    The passport is fine.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 08:38 AM
    With your tax return, you will attach forms W7 for your wife and children. You will need professional help as stated by AtlantaTaxExpert.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Agreed.

Feb 7, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Hi,

How about on my state income tax filing, can I also claim them as dependents? Do I need to send another copy of W7 for them?
    Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 02:23 PM
    Once the ITINs are issued, the IS will mail you a letter containing the ITINS under separate correspondence.

You can then use the ITINs to file your state tax return(s).

Apr 18, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Hi,

IRS sent me an approval for my wife's ITIN, but requested the date arrived in US for my kids before they can approve their ITINs. My kids are still in the Philippines, What should I do?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Okay, it seems that the IRS ITIN personnel MAY be using standard residency criteria to determine if you can claim them as dependents.

Tell them the truth: that the children are IN the Philippines and that you are acting on advice from the IRS International Tax Hotline to claim them as dependents.

Apr 18, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Would they be still approved for ITIN?

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 18, 2008, 12:12 PM
    Unknown for sure, but I suspect probably NOT.

There is no real written guidance on this issue. I have been advising people to claim their children, even if NOT in the U.S. based on telephonic guidance received from the IRS International Tax Hotline in 2007.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 19, 2008, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Unknown for sure, but I suspect probably NOT.

There is no real written guidance on this issue. I have been advising people to claim their children, even if NOT in the U.S., based on telephonic guidance received from the IRS International Tax Hotline in 2007.
    I've answered this issue before. If the children are not US residents/citizens or residents of Mexico or Canada, then they should not be claimed as dependents. They do not qualify. There is an election for the spouse to claim residency but no such election for the children.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2008, 11:31 AM
    I must reluctantly agree with TTE. Several clients have reported that the IRS is rejecting ITIN requests for children who are not located in the U.S. so I am adjusting our tax return submissions accordingly.
    isabelaboy3320 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2010, 02:11 AM
    Children in the philippines cannot be claim as a dependent unless they're U.S. citizen because I try to apply for my kids for ITIN with all the document IRS is asking and got rejected however my Wife is approve for ITIN which is good enough better than nothing!
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2010, 01:15 PM
    The general rule I have applied for the past two tax seasons is that the children must be located in the U.S. at least ONE day in the calenday tax year to be claimed as a dependent on that calendar year's tax return. The ITIN Processing Center has issued ITINs for children who have been in the U.S. for only a few days under that criteria.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retired, receiving social security benefits, can I claim 3 dependents and get money? [ 3 Answers ]

My father is retired and only collects about $900 a month in social security benefits (his only income) and has 3 kids under the age of 18, can he still claim them as 3 dependents and get money even though his social security benefits are not taxable? Thanks.

Quit Claim or Quick Claim [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Quit Claim and a Quick Claim? Also, the last year of my mothers life she was very ill and lived with me, she signed her house over to me . Now I am going to sell it, do I have to pay taxes on the money I receive? I have heard if you are over a certain age you do not...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Dependents [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how much money you get back per child on taxes this year.

Battle w/ex over dependents [ 2 Answers ]

By mid June 2005 I satisfied IRS requirements for claiming my two children as dependents. They lived in my home more than half the year, and I provided more than half their support (NCP not paying support). In June 2005 I was handed a divorce decree stating my ex and I each are to claim one...

View more questions Search