Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657
    Nicely done. I'd give you a greenie but I have to spread it around some.

Basically, the estate continues to own the property. The executor is merely the tool that facilitates completion of the transactions.

Thanks Lisa - I know you're the resident expert on this and so I appreciate the thumbs up!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    This is all very interesting. I was just always under the impression that a 3rd. party couldn't be held responsible for another's agreements but I guess that isn't always so.

You are still misunderstanding the situation - there is NO third party. The Executor acts on behalf of the Estate, by law - no third party involved.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2008, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    You are still misunderstanding the situation - there is NO third party. The Executor acts on behalf of the Estate, by law - no third party involved.
    Actually I really don't misunderstand anymore. I've learned from this thread ; I'm just a little surprised about what I've learned. I just never realized that a deceased person's estate could be compelled to perform on a contract, save for pre-existing liens on any of the estate's property, e.g. satisfying the remaining balance of a mortgage or something similar.
    helloitsme2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 05:40 PM
    I don't know the legal side of things, however, last year I encountered this issue! We were four days from closing and the seller died. He had a will and had assigned his daughter as executer. So, the forms were all changed to read:"Janey Doe, Personal Representative of the Estate of John Doe." The family actually continued with the sale, as planned, but had to hustle to get all of the paperwork filed with the Register of Wills prior to the sale.
    FYI: We were warned by our agent that we would have lost our goodfaith deposit if we decided to back out of the sale. The seller had already complied with all of our repair requests.

Hope this story helps! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax implications of a contract for deed for buyer and seller [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am looking to purchase a primary residence on a contract for deed basis. My understanding is that I, as the purchaser, would be able to write off the interest I pay on my yearly taxes. My question is, can the seller continue to write off the interest he is paying on the mortgage he...

Breaching a real estate contract [ 4 Answers ]

I have signed a contact to sell my house. Because a job fell through in the province we would move to, is there anyway to get out of the contact?

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

Real estate contract [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of selling my home. I need to know if a buyer needs to have an amount of money put in the contract as a "down payment" to the seller. You know in case the sale doesn't go through then the seller gets that money.

View more questions Search