Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talyn2k5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Retaining back nut. Whu!
    Hi all, this is my first post (and its going to be a stupid one!)

I recently realised that the cold water tap on the sink in the bathroom was extremely loose and I discovered that what I believe is known as a 'retaining back nut' was broken. It is black and plastic and screws onto the tap just below the 'top hat washer' (I hope I`m getting all these terms right!) which in turn is below the sink itself so the sequence goes

Retaining back nut > top hat washer > sink > tap

Sorry if I`m oversimplifying things but I want to make sure I give all the required info.

I`ve searched all the local DIY stores, Screwfix Direct, and googled 'retaining back nut' but I cannot find any reference to this component.
    Please does anyone know if it goes by another name or if they know where I can get this particular part online.

Thanks in advanced for your help

Talyn2k5
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2006, 12:24 PM
    Go back to the places that didn't have it in plumbing and look for a 1/2'' conduit nut. They should have about the same thread. A real hardware would let you try it on one of the faucets in stock. It may be too small to hold good. Solve that with a 3/4'' washer from the nut and bolt area.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 14, 2006, 02:52 PM
    Hey Tally,

Labman gave you very good advice. Let me attempt to make it a little easier.
    Most plumbing repair shops keep a "bone yard" around, ( old faucets, toilet tank lids, etc.) I bet if you would take your faucet into one of those shops thatyou would walk out with your faucet retaining nut. Good luck, Tom
    talyn2k5 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Thanks for your help guys. Will try that tomorrow

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

Retaining wall [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all I have a 1.9 metre drop in elevation from my grade line on my home to the back alley and was wondering what the specs of lumber has to be tobuild a retaining wall, sections will still be 8 feet. What size posts and what thickness of planks do I have to use, and finally how far up towards...

Question(s) about replacing a Railroad Tie Retaining Wall [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have some time off this summer and I was thinking of replacing a rotted-out, railroad tie retaining wall we have in the front yard. I'd like to replace it with block. Here is the setup. From our driveway, there is a concrete path that curves to the front of our house (the driveway / garage...

How to go about retaining temporary custody of my four year old niece. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am A 30 year old married mother of three wonderful if not fun children. My sister has A beautiful ,sweet and very talkative four year old. For the last two years I have seen my beautiful 22 year old sister destroy her life with drugs. It started with her drinking A whole heck of A lot and...

Above ground pool retaining wall [ 2 Answers ]

Please send me information regarding retaining walls for above ground pools. I am having a difficult time with my community and my above ground pool. I am going to have to install a retaining wall around me entire pool, as well as back fill dirt Could you forward any information that you may...

View more questions Search