Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 01:42 AM
    Why do we as Americans accept bashing?
    I honestly and sincerely ask this question. When people from other countries hold “discussions” on OUR Country and it is in a negative light….. why is that okay? Furthermore, why would Americans join in on the “discussion”.

My feeling on this is, regardless if the points are accurate or not, is it not the highest form of disrespect to opening “discuss” and sometimes with great animosity, areas of our country, knowing Americans will see and view? I for one think it is insensitive and I also find it unacceptable.

If the discussions were initiated with a sincere gesture of seeking understanding, that would be different. On the flip side, I would find it just as disrespectful, if Americans time after time after time, bashed, pointed out, areas of concern, of other countries’ practices, Government, leaders and such in a negative light on the same consistent basis that is done to our Country.

If Americans wish to discuss our Country and the areas in need of improvement, that is their right and illustrates Freedom of Speech.

I do not mean any of this harshly but I think we as American’s give an impression and perhaps a false impression, that anything goes.

I respect, in some cases, admire and have a deep interest in learning about other countries and the people that make their particular country unique, special and incredibly interesting, I am only asking for the same level of respect in return.

I know I don’t have to participate or read or enter a discussion, but I just need to make my point of view heard that……This American, finds it to be unacceptable, rude and disrespectful.

Thank you for reading my view - It actually does come from the heart. I love my country,
    For all that it is, I am proud and grateful. It is a great country, but it is a great country, one of many. I do not feel superior to any other country, I just love the country in which I was born.

I truly am so incredibly curious as to how others feel about this.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:03 AM
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:06 AM
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:10 AM
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:11 AM
    Marydoll Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 02:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    I honestly and sincerely ask this question. When people from other countries hold “discussions” on OUR Country and it is in a negative light…..why is that okay? Furthermore, why would Americans join in on the “discussion”.

My feeling on this is, regardless if the points are accurate or not, is it not the highest form of disrespect to opening “discuss” and sometimes with great animosity, areas of our country, knowing Americans will see and view? I for one think it is insensitive and I also find it unacceptable.

If the discussions were initiated with a sincere gesture of seeking understanding, that would be different. On the flip side, I would find it just as disrespectful, if Americans time after time after time, bashed, pointed out, areas of concern, of other countries’ practices, Government, leaders and such in a negative light on the same consistent basis that is done to our Country.

If Americans wish to discuss our Country and the areas in need of improvement, that is their right and illustrates Freedom of Speech.

I do not mean any of this harshly but I think we as American’s give an impression and perhaps a false impression, that anything goes.

I respect, in some cases, admire and have a deep interest in learning about other countries and the people that make their particular country unique, special and incredibly interesting, I am only asking for the same level of respect in return.

I know I don’t have to participate or read or enter in a discussion, but I just need to make my point of view heard that……This American, finds it to be unacceptable, rude and disrespectful.

Thank you for reading my view - It actually does come from the heart. I love my country,
    for all that it is, I am proud and grateful. It is a great country, but it is a great country, one of many. I do not feel superior to any other country, I just love the country in which I was born.

I truly am so incredibly curious as to how others feel about this.

Think that you just answered your own question there!
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marydoll
    Think that you just answered your own question there!
    No, Marydoll, I do not mean Americans, I mean people NOT from this country freely basing us.

Jan 30, 2008, 02:17 AM
    Im Irish and I think That Ive have Freedon of speech too..
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:20 AM
    Im Irish and I think That Ive have Freedon of speech too.... ?
    To Bash America? Do you live here? Are you an American?

**edit**

I am not saying that all people do not have a right to say what they choose, I am just saying that I find it rude, unacceptable, and disrespectful. Just as I would if an American continuously openly said negative things about another country without any regard to the audience and with zero respect.

Jan 30, 2008, 02:29 AM
    No Im not american, I don't live there.

Im Irish I have a right to my Opinion. I don't agree with anything that The american Government has done with years. I think that America looks out for its own and that's about it...

What good has america ever done in the world?
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:30 AM
    America is a great country. But we are very "young" especially on the west coast.

When I first visited Europe, I was amazed at how calmly tolerant people were. The kids, especially, amazed me with their down-to-earth maturity and decency. The rudeness of kids was there, but controlled. They were so different from American teens, I was flabbergasted. They were aware that their actions and words had a profound effect on everyone around them. We Americans generally are not aware as our first thoughts, like any child are about ourselves.

The discussions we had about American culture there, were illuminating to say the least. First off, they mostly all spoke English. The ones who did not were older and had not learned it in school, or had forgotten a lot. Yet, the older folks were kind and patient as well. They were respectful of differences and showed a sense of humor when things got weird.

When I am here, in America I cringe when someone says "you're in America, learn the language." Americans, compared to Europeans, in my experience are rude, pushy impatient, undisciplined and thoughtless in the extreme. Yeah, that's just my take on it. But if people want to talk down to Americans, perhaps it is because we don't have the maturity to come back at them on an adult level. They talk down to us because we behave like selfish children most of the time.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 02:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    America is a great country. But we are very "young" especially on the west coast.

When I first visited Europe, I was amazed at how calmly tolerant people were. The kids, especially, amazed me with their down-to-earth maturity and decency. The rudeness of kids was there, but controlled. They were so different from American teens, I was flabbergasted. They were aware that their actions and words had a profound effect on everyone around them. We Americans generally are not aware as our first thoughts, like any child are about ourselves.

The discussions we had about American culture there, were illuminating to say the least. First off, they mostly all spoke English. The ones who did not were older and had not learned it in school, or had forgotten a lot. Yet, the older folks were kind and patient as well. They were respectful of differences and showed a sense of humor when things got weird.

When I am here, in America I cringe when someone says "you're in America, learn the language." Americans, compared to Europeans, in my experience are rude, pushy impatient, undisciplined and thoughtless in the extreme. Yeah, that's just my take on it. But if people want to talk down to Americans, perhaps it is because we don't have the maturity to come back at them on an adult level. They talk down to us because we behave like selfish children most of the time.
    Hi Simoneauge,

I do undertand what your are saying. But I find it rude and incredibly unbecoming behaviour for someone not from America to speak so negatively about Americans, openly to Americans. Is that not rude, immature and uncivilized. I am not comparing cultures.

I had many interactions with Internationals, on our soil, and I was sure to know all about their culture, to ensure that I was showing the highest form of respect. That is all I am asking in return.

Jan 30, 2008, 02:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allheart
    **edit**

I am not saying that all people have a right to say what they choose, I am just saying that I find it rude, unacceptable, and disrespectful. Just as I would if an American continously openly said negative things about another country without any regard to the audience and with zero respect.

I don't bash other countries, The only thing that I bash is the government. Most People in America are fine but the government... My god! Even though I guess Americans are to blame for that too seeing as they elected them!! :confused:
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 04:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    When I am here, in America I cringe when someone says "you're in America, learn the language."

That's just it in a nutshell, what I am trying to say. You cringe and rightly so and I would cringe right with you. Why? Because saying something like that is wrong, rude, ignorant and not dignified.

Most Americans do have that cringe filter. We are considerate when speaking to ensure that we don't offend. We are conscious of the fact that there are differences but most enjoy learning about the differences and embracing that knowledge.

When it comes to some not from this country, they do not cringe. They gleefully point out our difficulties, they attempt to put us down.

I would embrace a mature thoughtful discussion in an international setting. We could learn about ourselves with the exchange of a thoughtful dialogue. But sadly, it is never presented thoughtful, but more antognistic and accusatory.

Simoneaugie , I would be cringing right with you and proud to do so.

Jan 30, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Ok Im sorry but I think that we have the right to speak about america and say what we want about it, reason being America basically have the ability to rule the world if needs be. It has the biggest army, access to nuclear weapons etc. Of course we can talk about Americans!

We watch the news every day and see all the horror that is happening in Afganistan and Iraq. We see that Americans have Invaded a country and have ended up killing so many innocent men, women and children, not just from those countries but America is sending their own children there too! We see this every single day, maybe The US news broadcasts aren't as detailed as ours.

America has the ability to start a world war, America has the ability to end the world if mistakes are made.

We can say whatever we want about America just as you can say whatever you want about another country.
    novak Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 04:49 AM
    G'day I see where you are coming from. I'm from Australia and I believe that the world leaders have effect on other countries opinions as well as the media. This is no disrespect to you or your country at all on my behalf but all we hear from the media is all the bad stuff that happens in america. We don't hear anything good. america I'm sure is a great place and nice things should be heard and not the bad things. There was an incident of a few americans he were ambushed in iraq and then 3 australians from the sas came in and saved them. And the americans thanked them and couldn't believe how the aussies took them out and they couldn't. The australians looked down on them for this but I can guarantee you change them around the australians would be thanking you n the americans wuld aprreciate the gesture. Please correct me if I'm rong but I believe youv put a good topic to talk about,
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 04:55 AM
    Ok Im sorry but I think that we have the right to speak about america and say what we want about it, reason being America basically have the ability to rule the world if needs be. It has the biggest army, access to nuclear weapons ect. Of course we can talk about Americans!!

We watch the news every day and see all the horror that is happening in Afganistan and Iraq. We see that Americans have Invaded a country and have ended up killing so many innocent men, women and children, not just from those countries but America is sending their own children there too! We see this every single day, maybe The US news broadcasts arent as detailed as ours.

America has the ability to start a world war, America has the ability to end the world if mistakes are made.

We can say whatever we want about America just as you can say whatever you want about another country.
    Yes, you have absolutely every right to say what you want about whom you want…100% agree with you there.

My point is, the manner and motivation behind what is said and when, where and who is present.

Again, if it is to learn, gain understanding, even expressing frustration, as long as it is done with respect, that is a healthy dialogue that could have positive results.
    If it is done other then that, I am saying, that as an American it is disrespectful and the person communicating the negative comments with ill will behind them comes off as undignified and rude.

But yes, one has a right to say what one chooses as long as they know, they wear their words.
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by novak
    G'day i see where you are coming from. im from Australia and i believe that the world leaders have effect on other countries opinions as well as the media. this is no disrespect to you or your country at all on my behalf but all we hear from the media is all the bad stuff that happens in america. we dont hear anything good., america im sure is a great place and nice things should be heard and not the bad things. There was an incident of a few americans he were ambushed in iraq and then 3 australians from the sas came in and saved them. and the americans thanked them and couldnt believe how the aussies took them out n they couldnt. the australians looked down on them for this but i can garantee u change them around the australians would be thanking u n the americans wuld aprreciate the gesture. please correct me if im rong but i believe youv put a good topic to talk about,

Hi Novak,

Thank you so much for your thoughts and understanding. It is refreshing. I do agree with all that you have said. I have interacted with many Australians and every interaction was absolutely wonderful. I have the highest respect and admiration
    For all of you.

I guess what I am saying that when people voice such a harsh negative impression of America and even our Government, to be mindful that Americans are people too and
    Try to contribute to this world positively and if we could change those things that need changing we would.

Novak, thank you again.

Jan 30, 2008, 05:07 AM
    I wouldn't take it too personally. People aren't directing it at you or the american people, Its more at the Government that anyone else.

I think that its out of Frustration more than anything else that things are said... People aren't being rude. It must be the cultural difference that makes you see it like that.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 05:08 AM
    I think most understand the difference between the administration and the regular american guy. I'm quite certain people are frustrated with the administration and not all americans.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To Accept or Not Accept a Gift [ 10 Answers ]

It's the Christmas season, so yesterday I spent the day making cookies which were then wrapped in a decorative tin that I gave to a male co-worker as a thank you for help done at work and for the occasional ride home from work. I was quite surprised when he handed me a little gift bag in return....

ALI G (Borat to you Americans) [ 3 Answers ]

I think he is hilarious been from the U.K its quality. Should watch some of the YouTube vids YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. And this one is him with some NBA players lol classic!! YouTube - Ali G & the NBA (extended version)

Is resentment against the Americans up or down [ 28 Answers ]

Everyone and their mother seem to have an idea about how well the “surge” is working; I think someone should ask the Iraqis what they think. I wonder how they would rate their personal security. Is resentment against the Americans up or down since the “surge” began? But on second thought,...

Illegal Americans [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Diego, I'm 18 years old and I live in Denver Colorado. I'm an Illegal immigrant of the united states, I crossed the border when I was nine, I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't have a choice. Over the time I forgot about my culture, and were I came from. I have become what I...

Racist Americans [ 122 Answers ]

----------THREAD IS SOLELY MEANT FOR INDIANS,ESPECIALLY in INDIA----- You know I just quit my job today, and I can't explain how relieved I feel about it.Used to work as a tech support in a BPO , outsourced in India with most customers calling from america .To a point where I realised that the...

View more questions Search